Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name This Tree please

Options
  • 24-05-2017 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

Anybody got an idea of the name of this plus any tips of when it can be trimmed...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Yea wouldn't post il throw it up in a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Looks very like variegated poplar. Not suitable for a small garden (or maybe any garden really) - sends up suckers everywhere - though your pic shows a mature tree? In normal circumstances the whole place would be full of suckers from something that big.

As regards trimming etc -- I have been trying to kill one for a neighbour for about 5 years and haven't succeeded yet so I'd say you could trim it anytime!

lottpaul wrote: »
    Looks very like variegated poplar. Not suitable for a small garden (or maybe any garden really) - sends up suckers everywhere - though your pic shows a mature tree? In normal circumstances the whole place would be full of suckers from something that big.

As regards trimming etc -- I have been trying to kill one for a neighbour for about 5 years and haven't succeeded yet so I'd say you could trim it anytime!

By suckers you mean the root system and if so yes the roots are all over the place... Gonna trim a good bit off it alright wouldn't like to kill it completely... Cheers for the info...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Suckers in that sense are when small new trees grow out of the roots. Typically you find enthusiastic baby trees coming up through the lawn and flowerbeds, often a distance from the tree, much more vigorous than seedlings. The more you cut them off the more they pop up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    Gonna trim a good bit off it alright wouldn't like to kill it completely... Cheers for the info...
    how big is your back garden? my father planted one when i was about 12 and had to dig it up a couple of years later, 30 foot by 30 foot garden and we were finding significant roots 20 foot from the tree IIRC; which was about ten foot tall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's a pest. Get too big, sends out suckers everywhere causing new trees to grow all over the place, prone to aphid attack and leave moles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I've seen a Black Poplar tree send out roots that caused cracks in a tarmac path.

Also the roots can undermine foundations and driveways etc. Not suitable to be within 100 feet of a house eg 30 metres from any building. I'd have it cut down.

Advertisement