Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revoult or N26 for trip away

• 24-05-2017 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Heading away to the UK and haven't been keeping myself up-to-date as much as i used to with N26 and Revolut cards, Im off in about 2 weeks and was wondering whats the best one to use, Im split between the two of them but i want to get the best rate instead of using ulster bank.

I like the contactless on the N26 card but if im getting a better rate on the Revolut card id use it instead, I plan on only bringing one or the other and will hopefully only use a ATM once.

edit* Apologies for spelling Revolut wrong on the thread title

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I had both but I abandoned N26 and stuck with Revolut - the new cards are contactless. You'll have to pay for expedited shipping at this stage tho I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Unless you're spending ?50,000 the rate delta probably isnt the price of a big mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Many thanks guys for your replies guys,

Ill transfer money over to my Revolut card so in the mean time anyway.

All comments still welcome on either cards and preference's as I am not away for 2 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lehe8707

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Many thanks guys for your replies guys,

Ill transfer money over to my Revolut card so in the mean time anyway.

All comments still welcome on either cards and preference's as I am not away for 2 weeks :)

Hopefully you're there now and having no issues. :)

However i have used both for some time now. I have had Revolut not accepted in multiple locations. The transaction fails - not the merchant.

N26 i have never had fail.

Just my 2 cents...

lehe8707 wrote: »
    Hopefully you're there now and having no issues. :)

However i have used both for some time now. I have had Revolut not accepted in multiple locations. The transaction fails - not the merchant.

N26 i have never had fail.

Just my 2 cents...

Hi lehe8707,

Had no bother at all with the Revolut card in Edinburgh, Lucky i didn't use my ulster bank card as lads got charged alot more on commission.

Left my N26 at home, I would say Revolut card for uk travel(Or other currency countries) and perhaps N26 for other mainland europe travel maybe best (Euro Countries), Hopefully i might have another holiday this year to try out.

• Advertisement

nice one. Glad to hear all was ok. Revolut is issued GB isnt it? I think thats agood idea and i might do the same. Revolut for GB (and dodgy online purchases).

Ive been using N26 as my primary account anyway so will sue that abroad too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    I would say Revolut card for uk travel(Or other currency countries) and perhaps N26 for other mainland europe travel maybe best (Euro Countries), Hopefully i might have another holiday this year to try out.

Why so? I've used my Revolut card all over the world without any issue

jameshayes wrote: »

Well i guess it's tough to trust abroad when it fails a fair few times at home.

It failed me in

petrol station(non pre pay pump which revolut say should work)

AIB ATM in SuperValu
    Cash 365 ATM in tesco
    POS at a local cafe

Now I do love the card fair handy. Like I use it to buy my "dodgy" to subscription. And anywhere I feel sketchy about but I just wouldn't trust it as my main card when trying for a low stress care free holiday.

jameshayes wrote: »

I have issues in certain places with Revolut and as n26 is Euro card and has contactless so just as handy out and about abroad in euro countries.

In a few stores in Enniskillen Revolut didn't work for me which was hit and miss but worked 100% in Edinburgh.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Revolut card won't work for me in many UK ATMs including Lloyds and many/most non-mainstream banks so definitely do not rely on this as your only piece of plastic anywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Traveled inside and out of the eurozone with my N26, works flawlessly.

Thought it might hiccup when being used in lieu of a London Oyster. Not a bother at all.

Advertisement