Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caramel bits (or alternative)?

Options
  • 24-05-2017 10:50am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm baking something that's looking for caramel bits - which I presume is this kind of thing.

Does anyone know of a place that might sell something like this in Dublin - or a good alternative I could use?

I'm thinking I could cut up some soft toffee or fudge if I'm really stuck but ideally if I can find some decent soft caramels that would be best

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

What are you making?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

It's a chocolate chip cookie bar from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook - it calls for 150g of those caramel bits to be melted with 55ml of double cream in a double boiler and then poured over the cookie batter before it goes in the oven.

I had tried it before with tined (Coronation) caramel but I think it really needs to be something that's soft but not runny at room temperature. In the end I just used some fudge and it seems to have done the job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Ah ok! I thought it might be for something like that. I find just normal caramel works find for recipes like that but it does depend on the recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Highland toffees, freeze them then smash with a rolling pin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Ah ok! I thought it might be for something like that. I find just normal caramel works find for recipes like that but it does depend on the recipe!

Last time I made it with runny caramel the whole thing ended up being too loose to cut up properly... I'm not sure if that's the fault of the caramel or if it just need a few more minutes in the oven but didn't want to take the risk again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Dr Oetker has Fudge Chunks. Not sure how similar they are to caramel bits though.

http://www.oetker.ie/ie-en/our-products/home-baking/chocolate-inclusions/product-range/fudge-chunks/fudge-chunks.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Also I think Nestle Toll House have something similar which can be found in Fallon and Byrne but a bag of chips are about a tenner. I had a quick google and I could be wrong. If you're passing have a look.
    flogen wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I'm baking something that's looking for caramel bits - which I presume is this kind of thing.

Does anyone know of a place that might sell something like this in Dublin - or a good alternative I could use?

I'm thinking I could cut up some soft toffee or fudge if I'm really stuck but ideally if I can find some decent soft caramels that would be best

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Crushed up Dime bars keep coming to mind! :rolleyes:

Advertisement