Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction on Disturbing Wild Birds during nesting season

Options
  • 24-05-2017 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

Section 22 of the Wildlife Act 1976 makes it an offence if someone "wilfully disturbs a protected wild bird on or near a nest containing eggs or unflown young"
    There are a few exceptions to this, but generally I read this to mean in plain mans language that you cant hunt with dogs during the nesting season.

I presume that there were regulations made which specify the dates of "nesting season" but I cant find anything in either the regulations made after the Act or on the NPWS site.

Can anyone shed any light ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

I haven't hunted in years but it's probably the dates of the open season you should be looking for, I'm guessing the open season is the only time u can hunt , the rest of the year would be closed to hunting protected species.

I'm sure someone with more Knowledge on hunting will be along and can fill you in with more info,

I don't know if this is up to date https://www.npws.ie/legislation/irish-law/open-seasons-order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Would this be more relevant to 'hedge cutting' rather than hunting with dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Thanks for that Wadi14.

I am aware of the "seasons" for various birds and animals .
    Obviously you can hunt(and shoot) during those dates.

What I am trying to find out is if there are other prescribed dates where you are not allowed to exercise dogs in such a way that you are disturbing their nesting/chick rearing.
    Maybe the dates are actually the same as the "seasons".

The reason I ask is that I have come across people actively hunting with dogs in the last few days and I can only assume that any birds they disturb will abandon nests etc.

cookimonster, you could be right on the hedgecutting issue.
    The dates( 1st March to 31st August) would make a bit of sense alright but it leaves a very short window to get dogs in shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Something comes to mind about it being an offence to work your dogs till after mid July?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

There's no such law AFAIK. You would have to be seen as willfully disturbing nests, whether it be yourself personally, or your dog. Think about it, how many people walk their dogs, and let them off for a run, most of which wouldn't have a clue regards birds, or nature for that matter.
    Saying that, those who hunt should have a bit of cop on, and refrain from letting their dogs off the lead this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Eddie B wrote: »
    There's no such law AFAIK. You would have to be seen as willfully disturbing nests, whether it be yourself personally, or your dog. Think about it, how many people walk their dogs, and let them off for a run, most of which wouldn't have a clue regards birds, or nature for that matter.
    Saying that, those who hunt should have a bit of cop on, and refrain from letting their dogs off the lead this time of year.
    Their is rules in the clubs i am in no hunting or running dogs on club lands from mid april to mid august for the sake of ground nesting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I think it may be mentioned in the wildlife act, will have to look

grassroot1 wrote: »
    I think it may be mentioned in the wildlife act, will have to look

The section of the Wildlife Act is section 22, but it doesn't mention any dates as far as I could see.
    I looked up various Regulations that amend Section 22 but no luck I'm afraid.

Might just ring the Wildlife Warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Vizzy wrote: »
    The section of the Wildlife Act is section 22, but it doesn't mention any dates as far as I could see.
    I looked up various Regulations that amend Section 22 but no luck I'm afraid.

Might just ring the Wildlife Warden.

They would have to be seen to be disturbing nests. Very hard prove that one.

Checked with the Wildlife warden.

Strictly speaking you are only entitled to hunt with dogs during the open season which differs per species,
    but ,
    unless people are completely acting the maggot the Warden (and as far as I know, all Wardens) have been told to operate the breeding season as 1st Feb to 31st July.
    This applies to all wildbirds and not just gamebirds.
    As regards the prosecution of offences, the attitude that my local Warden takes is that if you are actively hunting with a dog, then you will inevitably "wilfully disturb" nests and unflown young.

• Advertisement
Advertisement