Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Further Education to become a DP

Options
  • 24-05-2017 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Looking for advice on courses I could do to become a DP in future years.

Are there specific courses that people found helpful and got them points in interview process?

Obviously it will need to be part time to coincide with my current teaching position.

If anyone could recommend a course they found helpful itd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭doc_17

Plenty out there. It needs to be a Postgrad Diploma or Masters with emphasis in Leadership and Management.

Check out cslireland.ie for info

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

doc_17 wrote: »
    Plenty out there. It needs to be a Postgrad Diploma or Masters with emphasis in Leadership and Management.

Check out cslireland.ie for info

Any specific one you would recommend? have you done one?

that website is a computer supplies company?????????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You must have mis-typed it.
    http://cslireland.ie/en/

Go high. Do a Masters. All the universities have one. So look at them and do the one that is closest to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ul are doing a new part-funded online one (cost 2k) (online lectures & tutorials in nearby colleges)...
    It's diploma level... dunno if they do a follow on masters

http://www.ul.ie/cpe/pdsl/node/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Try ou also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    ul are doing a new part-funded online one (cost 2k) (online lectures & tutorials in nearby colleges)...
    It's diploma level... dunno if they do a follow on masters

http://www.ul.ie/cpe/pdsl/node/1

I think that's the CSL one, used to be called something in Irish, brain is dead, was run through Maynooth. UL and NUIG I think won the tender for it for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

TheDriver wrote: »
    Try ou also

Reads like "try out also" in a Dublin accent.

:D

I think that's the CSL one, used to be called something in Irish, brain is dead, was run through Maynooth. UL and NUIG I think won the tender for it for the next few years.

Tóráiocht

doc_17 wrote: »
    Tóráiocht

That's the one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 19eighty4

hi, also in the same boat. l'm looking for something that is supportive.
    to be honest, l recently applied for a DP position - the application process is a nightmare with the usual rejection letter that follows.
    when l enquired about constructive feedback, l got a phone call at 6 one night from someone that was a member of the BOM but was wary of my questions. eventually i was told that the teacher and learning section was one of the places where i fell down, when i enquired how, l was told "further ed. teaching isn't really teaching..."

So in short, l am looking for some advise, l have completed a considerable number of courses over the past while (Dip SEN, LIT Certificate(SPA) Leadership & Management in Education)

Can anyone please help?

Maybe get on some of the JC training days as a no cost way of doing it, some schools are big into active learning so read up on that, IL stuff, Barrie Bennett is all the rage with ETB's. I suppose the thinking is that as DP you'd need to know what kind of learning you'd like to see in the classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

There is a plethora of education leadership courses available. Most are easy and of limited value. A Masters can be achieved in two easy years. However it is just as valuable to have a Masters in your subject area or in pedagogy. In my view, as one who has one each in leadership and pedagogy, the masters in a teaching and learning area is much more valuable long term. It should improve the quality of your teaching and learning and clearly demonstrates your expertise in your subject. The ed leadership is generally waffle.
    As other posters have noted, it is essential to have a significant extra qualification to be shortlisted nowadays.
    Also keep a record of every cpd course you do.
    If your school is involved in TL21 or Barrie Bennett get in the group and make yourself indispensable.
    When filling DP jobs, some of the more enlightened schools are now offering jobs to people who can advance the teaching and learning functions in school. Traditionally the DP was the rottweiler and wasn't expected to have much of an educational thought. If you look at a few mmls you will see that, nowadays, the senior management team must be focused on t & l.
    Best of luck for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

"Further ed teaching isn't really teaching"!!! Speechless. I know a good few teachers who have moved from further education teaching to post primary principalship. That's a load of nonsense. Don't forget to ask for written feedback or score sheet too.

"Further ed teaching isn't really teaching"!!! Speechless. I know a good few teachers who have moved from further education teaching to post primary principalship. That's a load of nonsense. Don't forget to ask for written feedback or score sheet too.

Teaching is teaching. The management of a school and a college of further ed would be different but you just adapt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Exactly. The rubbish we listen to !

Advertisement