Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which bank?

• 24-05-2017 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I'm considering changing my bank, and I'm looking for advice on which bank to move to - both current and savings accounts. (To avoid bias, I'm not going to list my current bank).

Which banks would people suggest, and why? Which have the lowest fees, or best fee practises? (I'm aware that one bank has set fees per quarter, for example, and some provide free banking if your keep your account above a certain level, which is unlikely).

How do the various banks also stack up when it comes to credit cards (and debit cards, though they typically go hand in hand with the account).

What about customer care? Online experience? Mobile phone app experience? Android Pay/Apple Pay? Direct Debits? Standing orders?

Basically, as a customer, to whom should I entrust my money?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I switched from Ulster bank to PTSB earlier this year , very happy with them so far.
    You can counteract the 4 euro monthly maintenance by using your debit card for POS. They give you 10 cent every time you use it. I use it often so I never feel the pinch of the maintenance charge.

Also card worked well abroad where as Ulster Bank kept blocking ATM withdrawal 8 times out of 10. Phone calls to them to unblock my card all the time drove me nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

https://www.ebs.ie/daily-banking - FREE Current Account -no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

I am with AIB - if you keep the current account abvor 2.5k its free, I have a AIB Platinum Visa Credit Card which has cashback, and there is a new rewards program available as well with cash back

https://aib.ie/ways-to-bank/aib-everyday-rewards

Use Bonkers.ie to compare the different banks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

http://compare.consumerhelp.ie/CurrentAccount - more reliable than Bonkers for comparison.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I use to be with AIB and I was very happy with them, until the changed the rules for free banking to make it hard. I then moved to Permanent TSB as at the time they had "easy" free banking.

PTSB was ok, but I feel they aren't keeping up with the times and modern banking. So I'll be soon returning to AIB.

First off I should point out I've a mortgage with AIB, so that means I can get a free account with them. That certainly makes the decision easier.

PTSB's app is pretty poor. They launched a new app a few months ago, which looks prettier, but still takes WAY too much effort to log into every time you want to use it! AIB on the other hand have been updating their app a lot (still have it due to Mortgage etc. with AIB) and just two weeks ago they added Touch ID log in to the app which is great and makes it much faster and easier to use. Plus the quick balance feature is nice.

I really can't believe PTSB launched a new app recently and didn't add touch id when everyone else has it.

AIB has support for Android Pay and say they are in negotiations to add Apple Pay. PTSB have neither and haven't said a word about adding either of them!

AIB are adding contactless support to their Credit Cards, no sign of PTSB doing the same.

AIB as a Talk To forum here on boards, PTSB has no presence, which I think reflects their poorer customer support.

My local AIB and PTSB branches are very close to one another. The PTSB is a small dingy place with only one automated machine and terrible opening hours. While the AIB is much larger and more modern and one of those new late opening centers (until 10pm I think) with lots of automated machines, much handier.

So overall, I think AIB aren't quiet the most innovative bank, that would be KBC, but they are a fast follower, who adds the same tech and products soon after KBC, while having a much more extensive branch network and implementing modern ideals in those branches.

I've never been with any of the other banks, so I can't comment on them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BTW I forgot to add, AIB also seem to have the best credit card deal (the platinum one if you qualify) and their mortgages are some of the lowest.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TheTomahawk

Has anyone any experience with KBC? Certainly they have their KBC Extra Current Account, which seems to be free everything. I'm trying to find the catch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

Has anyone any experience with KBC? Certainly they have their KBC Extra Current Account, which seems to be free everything. I'm trying to find the catch...

The Extra Current Account requires you to lodge €2500 a month to avail of the fee-free option. If you fail to lodge €2500 in any month, you get charged all of their standard fees for the entire quarter, and you lose the extra 2% interest on your attached Extra Regular Savings Account forever.

I have one, but I'm just transferring money into it from my main current account at another bank every month and then transferring it back to my other account a few days later (minus the amount I'm moving to my Extra Regular Savings Account, which is the only reason I signed up for it). That way even if my work's payroll screws up and misses a monthly paycheck by a day or two (we get paid on the last day of the month), it won't screw me, since my own scheduled transfer will still go through as normal in the middle of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Avoid BOI. At all costs. KBC would be the pick of em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Avoid PTSB. Ever single thing about them is terrible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement