Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep two bikes or change for one compromise

• 24-05-2017 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking for opinions, contrary or otherwise...
    I have two bikes, an '08 transalp 700 and a '97 K1100LT.
    The Transalp is used by me for spins, one up, in Ireland (my wife has never been on it, and doesn't have any desire to), and the K1100LT is used for one and two up touring, and two up spins.
    At the moment, between one thing and another, neither bike is getting much use. The transalp hasn't left the garage since October, and the K1100LT is being used for a two week holiday at the start of June, and will then be used around one/two days a month for the summer.
    Regarding the touring, our days of long distance travel are over, and now prefer to ship the bike to the destination (God bless Overlanders), and go on day spins no greater than 150 miles each. So there is no need for the K1100LT's ability to mile munch. Last year we did go down through France, Spain and Portugal, and I have no desire to spend that much time on motorways again. In fact, if anything it is too big for the off-motorway spins we now prefer to do. (for the record, I'm 51 and wife is 48). Although on saying that, my wife does like the comfort it provides.
    So, here's the dilemma..
    Do I keep the two bikes and just use them as I am doing? They are both old enough that depreciation etc. isn't an issue. Both are mechanically sound, with the K needing maintenance that I can do.
    Do I trade in/sell the two of them and get one bike that will cover both functions? Save on space/insurance/tax etc. but an up front cost to change.
    I think that big adventure bikes like the GS, VFR Crosstourer etc. are just too big for one up trips in Ireland (think West Cork/Kerry roads). The same goes for big tourers, e.g. VFR 1200 or any big BMW. The Crosstourer weights the same as the LT!
    I am tempted by the VFR800x Crossrunner. I don't know if it is as good two-up, so a demo ride will have to be arranged. And is it much better than my Transalp?
    Your collective wisdom would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

buy a 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

buy a 3rd.

Good option, but I had a 3rd which wasn't being used at all, so I sold it. I'm trying to de-clutter.

(but could I swing it to buy the 3rd with a view to selling the other two afterwards......)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Sounds more like you fancy a change than anything else.

It's honestly a very personal decision to make, but go try out the bikes and see which one will work best for you.

I think you're also discarding bikes that could actually work very well, I would try out some of the BM's, while they look big, they are very agile in the twisties and there is a reason that they are one of the most popular all-rounders.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Would you consider a Multistrada?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Zascar wrote: »

Arrggghhhh me eyes :eek:

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »

Aarrrgh my bank balance :eek:

at 15k, a bit pricey (the 950)

But certainly a nice bike - but if I was going to buy one I definitely would not have to worry about riding it two up - I'd be divorced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

buy a 3rd.

I tried that. Then the 3rd became a 4th, a 5th..........you get the idea. Got sick of constantly juggling taxes, battery charging, yada yada.

So, I've have had a bit of a gutting of the garage of late, and flogged off 3. 1 or 2 more and I'm done.

In common with OP, I started my big bikes on a K100RS, and had many over the years. It was only through gritted teeth I moved on to the Oilheads when they stopped making them. They haven't made an engine as reliable, nor a fairing as effective, as the K100/1100LT, since. Sure, brakes etc have all moved on, but other stuff has moved backwards imho.

So, and I can't believe I have it 10 years ago now, I got off BeeEmms (GS1200 at the time), and bought something I never had, and never thought would be anything other than fleeting: a Harley. Thank You Charlie McCreevy and the SSIA :):D

And I know no-one believes me, and I know I'm the only one doing what I do on mine, but it has proven more reliable than all the R11/R1150/GS12 bikes I had over 15 years. And I still have it, so it's a keeper at this stage. I gave a friend of mine a spin on it last night: he'd never sat on one, let alone ridden one, and I got on his FJR and we went for a short 15 minute spin. I loved his bike, but he was very surprised by mine.

They're not for everyone, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not at least trying one on a test ride. The weight is irrelevant, as they are so easy to ride.

I'm itching to try something else myself, and a Ducati is high on the list, but yet again, last weekend met an Duc owner who'd jumped ship after years of soldiering on with the brand and bike hassles. Tbh, I really couldn't hack that, which is a pity :(:(

I like the new Indians, but haven't ridden one. Triumph's tick more than few boxes too, and I love the Scrambler: in matt green, of course.

Outside of that, MT-09 Tracer would be good too - I think the middleground is where some of the best bikes are to be found.

Honda NC750DCT ?

Another completely left-field idea would be.......a super scooter. 500cc - 800cc. I'd love a T-Max 530 tbh.

I like the Crossrunner too, but I just wondering whether it would be expensive service-wise down the road ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Thanks GalwayTT, I think we're talking the same language. I've had two K100RS's, and both were great. I did have a brief fling with an R80GS, but it didn't last, and have never been attracted to the Rs. Have had VFR750, XJ500, Seca 750, XT350, and a few others.

The problem, as you said, with the 1100LT is it's bullet-proof, and so very comfortable. I can do all the maintenance myself, and parts are plentiful. So it's costing me nothing to run/keep.

Similar with the Transalp 700. Since I've put a fair bit of farkles on it, including leo vince exhaust and cat bypass, it is great one-up.

I looked at the Ducati multistrada 900, but the price is pretty steep. The Tracer is not as comfortable two-up, the crossrunner as you said, will cost north of €600 when the valves need to be done @ 16,000 miles. But it is the favourite at the moment. and 16,000 miles is three years riding at least.

The NC750DCT - I don't think I could live with the power drop two-up.

A Harley - no, I just couldn't. I've only ridden the 1800 custom thing last year, and I was embarrassed (it did have a straight-through pipe). I know there are other models, but I just can't get past it, (like the GS's).

I think you are right, the middle ground is what I need, especially as most of my riding will be on West Cork/Kerry and off-motorways on holidays.

We're off for two weeks in Spain on the LT next week, so I will revisit it then, maybe getting a demo on the Crossrunner. Probably put it on the long finger again (unless I win the Euromillions).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The one thing that irks me about the Crossrunner if I was to use even half as much as my H-D is.............chain drive. Yuk. I have 45k on my original H-D belt, and zero maintenance.

As for your cruiser experience, mine was kinda like that when I bought it: the loud pipes were the first things to come off it. Awful. Because there is zero demand for new, standard pipes - most people dump them off new bikes - I got a set of span new, std, quiet ones for.........zero, zilch, nada. Meanwhile DoneDeal went gaga for the ones I took off.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The GS would eat up roads on Kerry one up. It's not a spaceship it was designed with handling in mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement