Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siri (Irish Version) - any benefits?

Options
  • 24-05-2017 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭

Just got notification that Siri is now available in Irish English (complete with Irish accent).

Is there any benefit in using it as the voice is quite annoying.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It should understand Irish accents better and provide localised search results.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

Only benefit for me, and reason to keep it.

I can call the girlfriend in the car and pronounce her name correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Will give it a try for a little while, the only time I really use it is in the car to call people & the original version hasn't failed me on that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Sounds too robotic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Yes, the voice is annoying.

I'm also finding that Irish Siri doesn't understand me as well as the UK version (I do have an Irish accent).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I have had the Irish voice for ages as I'm on the beta program

I find it very good, understand most of what I say and is a definite improvement over other English language options.

The voice is not Apple's development as I have heard her on other apps such as Cyclemeter.
    It is no more robotic than other options.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My wife has been using it on her phone for a while. Tbh, Irish Siri sounds depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Zaph wrote: »
    My wife has been using it on her phone for a while. Tbh, Irish Siri sounds depressed.

Maybe your wife is just asking her the wrong questions.

I don't think Siri has much of a life though, trapped in cyberspace, no wonder she's depressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Used it for a while, didn't like the accent, went back to the UK version with female voice. I've been told I don't have much of an Irish accent anyways so Siri's never had an issue understanding me.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

OU812 wrote: »
    Just got notification that Siri is now available in Irish English (complete with Irish accent).

Is there any benefit in using it as the voice is quite annoying.

Works perfectly for me.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

murpho999 wrote: »
    I have had the Irish voice for ages as I'm on the beta program

I find it very good, understand most of what I say and is a definite improvement over other English language options.

The voice is not Apple's development as I have heard her on other apps such as Cyclemeter.
    It is no more robotic than other options.

The US Siri sounds a lot more like a real person than the Irish siri.

The Irish one is pretty rubbish really. It seems a bit half-finished to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Also if you use Irish Siri and you have an Apple Watch then 'hey siri' doesn't work on the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the Examiner only copping onto it now
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/examviral/whats-the-craic-siri-apples-pa-gets-an-irish-accent-794513.html

anyhow, it works perfectly for me and even my kids who have a strange mix of a german and irish accent (i.e. no US or UK inflections learnt from watching too way many foreign tv shows, or going to Dundrum shopping centre far too often, loike ! ).

Advertisement