Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Coastal views from 1857

Options
  • 24-05-2017 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

Two interesting watercolours of the coast at Bray and looking towards Killiney from c.1857 by Louisa MacKay. Spotted on eBay if you're interested.

Early%2Bwatercolour%2Bof%2BBray%2B1857.jpg

View%2Btowards%2BKilliney.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

Fascinating views.
    Oh for a time machine, if only for a day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Spotted on eBay
    Great pics, got a link? How much did it go for if sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Del.Monte wrote: »

Interesting but I do find it hard to recognise places in it.

Also, just curious as to why people use UK ebay when Irish one is there. Not a huge difference but gives Euro pricing and search options for Ireland only.

Irish Ebay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

murpho999 wrote: »
    Interesting but I do find it hard to recognise places in it.

Also, just curious as to why people use UK ebay when Irish one is there. Not a huge difference but gives Euro pricing and search options for Ireland only.

Irish Ebay here.

Well, the top one shows a view looking south with Bono's tower in the foreground and in the distance, the second Bray martello tower that was damaged in a storm and later demolished

The bottom one shows a view north again with Bono's tower in the foreground with Dalkey Island in the distance. The harbour's wasn't built until the 1890s and that together with an artist's interpretation of rocky cliffs gives a strange appearance to the painting. The third Bray martello tower stood on the beach at Corke Abbey and that is shown in the picture.

As for eBay.uk versus i.e - searching eBay.ie often misses items that are only on the UK site. I don't even know any eBayer that lists on the Irish site. For instance, I just searched for Irish railway on eBay.uk and got 1,384 results and the same search on the Irish site only produces 1,145 results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The schooner in the second picture must be at the point where the sailing club is now. If you stand on that end of the promenade, with your back to the sea, you can still see that Martello Tower on the hill (with the goats on it) on the far side of the road.

Is that big house behind the tower in the picture Corke Abbey then? The high ground its on seems to be exaggerated in altitude a bit.
    The railway takes pride of place in the pictures. Obviously they were all very proud of their new engineering marvel.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭wistfuleyes

Yeh that's the Martello tower. Lay of the land looks a bit diff now though

Advertisement