Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Nanny in Cork

Options
  • 24-05-2017 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I am considering hiring a nanny if I return to work next year, but it really comes down to affordability.
    We live in rural North Cork and will have 3 children - 5, 2 and 8 months old.
    My 5 year old has autism, will be at school until 1.30 and then collected.
    The 2 year old will initially be at home but then starting ECCE the following year.
    This is full time.
    What are we looking at weekly gross?
    Is it more for a child with special needs?
    Does the gross amount take PRSI into account?
    Creche is not an option and neither is childminder as my son needs to be at home really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Minimum €10 per hour, employer's prsi is on top of that. Our minder cared for a child with special needs before we hired her and it sounded like she should have been paid more for the responsibility involved. We also pay her when we're on holiday, we agreed that she would take her holidays when we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

lazygal wrote:
    Minimum €10 per hour, employer's prsi is on top of that. Our minder cared for a child with special needs before we hired her and it sounded like she should have been paid more for the responsibility involved. We also pay her when we're on holiday, we agreed that she would take her holidays when we do.

So it would cost that regardless of what kids are at home....as in still 10 euro when 5 yr old at school and when he is off during hols?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

poconnor16 wrote: »
    So it would cost that regardless of what kids are at home....as in still 10 euro when 5 yr old at school and when he is off during hols?

Having your children minded in your own home is the most expensive form of childcare. You would also be looking for an experienced childminder. I am not sure that you would get someone for €10 per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Having your children minded in your own home is the most expensive form of childcare. You would also be looking for an experienced childminder. I am not sure that you would get someone for €10 per hour.

And I can see why - its a fecking tough job. Hardly minimum wage worthy.
    I just dont think we can afford it..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

poconnor16 wrote: »

We came to an arrangement about hours and pay. It is an expensive form of childcare, if you're all above board about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement