Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU birds directive derogations 2017-18

Options
  • 24-05-2017 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

https://www.npws.ie/legislation/irish-law/eu-birds-directive-derogations

Reading another post on disturbing nests etc, reminded me a bot this year's derogation for wild birds.

The above link will get you to the relevant page for the PDF download. New addition to the species list - Gulls . But please note this is in a confined area around Ballbrigain and is only for the taking of nests and eggs.

Forgive if this is already up...... but am interested if anyone can elaborate on the addtion of theses particular gulls and in that area only.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

https://www.npws.ie/legislation/irish-law/eu-birds-directive-derogations

Forgive if this is already up...... but am interested if anyone can elaborate on the addtion of theses particular gulls and in that area only.

My guess is that roof nesting gulls are becoming a nuisance in that area. Plus some gulls will specialize in stealing food from humans, remember all that hoo-ha in the media a while back about savage seagulls snatching sandwiches from the hands of helpless people and devouring small children (;)), this might be as a result of this. Without chicks to feed, the gulls might be less of a pest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

I work in Balbriggan, gulls will snatch food from your hand, and will also attack if your anywhere near their nests. they are big birds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Was asking around and this seems to be the general consensus (nesting in buildings). I forgot about the gulls nests in work, both on multistorey buildings. The bloody birds would dive bomb you when you walked out around the perimeter of the building under the nesting site. When you here it first you think 'hairy arsed grown men, runing away, grow a pair...' but in fairness it was like something crossed between Hitchcocks' 'Physco' and 'The Birds'.

I wonder would you get away with shooting one at the time, your defence could go like this -

Duty Officer- why did you shoot that seagull?

Duty Personnel- Sir it's in the orders- fireing of live ball ammunition...... in defence of one's own life, your comrades...or post protected......

Would an overly aggressive, swooping, sh1t bombing, feathered invader be just cause for use of force. The paperwork would pile high on that one, still might get you off duty for a while:D

Advertisement