Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premium question

Options
  • 24-05-2017 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Lets say my dad has his own car with a full licence 10 Years + as well as NCB for 5+ years driving a 1.4 audi with a premium of €500 a year and wants to purchase another car (1.4 Volkswagen golf 03 MK4) with insurance on it too would it be cheaper or would the premium remain the same?

General question is does multi car insurance expensive?

This for axa insurance btw and all the old threads are not useful and outdated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Lets say my dad has his own car with a full licence 10 Years + as well as NCB for 5+ years driving a 1.4 audi with a premium of €500 a year and wants to purchase another car (1.4 Volkswagen golf 03 MK4) with insurance on it too would it be cheaper or would the premium remain the same?

General question is does multi car insurance expensive?

This for axa insurance btw and all the old threads are not useful and outdated

Would it be his second car?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭EntryDenied12

grogi wrote: »

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yes

AXA did mirror NCB, but only if on both policies the policy holder was the only driver. I don't think it will be applicable in this scenario, right?

So with the 2003 Golf he would have to get a new policy, without any NCB. Very difficult. He might transfer his existing policy to the banger Golf and get a new one for the Audi, if it is new enough... But you'll looking at couple of grands to insure it without any NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

grogi wrote: »

Yes

Does 1st car only have ur dad as driver?

Will the 2nd car have a driver , ie You

As ur dad won't be main driver then most risk driver will be the main driver for price

If u hoping Dad will cover a car for you, so ur insurance is cheaper then that's fronting and not an insurance risk taken on.!

The group on each car may be similar so if mirror NCB was an option prices may be similar

1st car has me as a named driver on it. He uses that for work and back.
    The reason why hes getting a second is for my driving lessons just for that as i don't have access to it during the time lessons take place and thats it and he will be using that on weekends for travelling up and down every sat/sun 60km back and up in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

1st car has me as a named driver on it. He uses that for work and back.
    The reason why hes getting a second is for my driving lessons just for that as i don't have access to it during the time lessons take place and thats it and he will be using that on weekends for travelling up and down every sat/sun 60km back and up in the country.

You will find it difficult to find any insurer willing to mirror a bonus with a (presumably) young driver on it.

Logic would dictate that you will be the main driver of one of them and therefore are not entitled to a bonus.

Insurers aren't stupid.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    You will find it difficult to find any insurer willing to mirror a bonus with a (presumably) young driver on it.

Logic would dictate that you will be the main driver of one of them and therefore are not entitled to a bonus.

Insurers aren't stupid.

I know that's what they will presumably think despite what my fathers and i intentions are. So definitely they will not mirror the NCB? Would it be wise to ask and see what they'll say?

What if he got multi car insurance before i got named driver on his main car, wouldn't i be covered on the second too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Insurers are under no obligation to add a named driver to a policy. Agree cover requirements at inception or face the risk of being refused

Advertisement