Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live Trad Music on Fridays?

Options
  • 24-05-2017 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hello,
    Anyone know where there's a good trad session on Friday's in the city centre (this Friday in particular)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Tsipras wrote: »
    Hello,
    Anyone know where there's a good trad session on Friday's in the city centre (this Friday in particular)

Downstairs in the Stags Head has trad music and is usually good craic on Friday or Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

McNeills on Capel Street, Darky Kelly's on Fishamble Street or Cobblestone in Smithfield

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Oliver St John Gogartys...ok a rip off and tourist trap, but will have the music

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Devitt's on Camden Street, upstairs. Proper music and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

+1 for Mc Neills and the Cobblestones, two very good sessions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

M Hughes, a six-minute walk (on the city centre side) to the Cobblestone, often (usually?) has two seisiúin on each night - one in the snug in the front.

The place will probably be dead when you arrive in at 9pm, and it rarely gets packed like the Cobblestone which is heaving almost every night, but that makes Hughes great to escape to for a chat with the music in the background. I've never witnessed singing in the main pub, just instruments, so don't be expecting a ballad seisiún. The decor is a bit 1970s as well so don't be giving out. Give them a ring beforehand as I haven't been there in a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Tsipras wrote: »
    Hello,

Also, An Góilín Traditional Singers' Club meets every Friday night right in the city centre, in Club na Múinteoirí on Parnell Square to be precise.

This Friday according to the calendar below, for instance, a singer from Ráth Chairn gaeltacht, Étáin Ní Churraoin, is the special guest. I must emphasise, however, it's a singing club and actual musical instruments are very rarely heard. So if you're looking for instruments, avoid it. Songs are in Irish as well as English, and they go around at break and get a rota of people in the room who'd like to sing next (i.e. you're more than welcome to sing). Admission is €3 per person and it starts around 9pm each Friday night.

An Góilín Traditional Singers' Club, Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Upstairs in Devitts Camden Street Friday and Saturday night.

Superb musicians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Howth Trad Festival is on this weekend.

Traffic should be slow as is usual in Howth on such weekends so suggest using the DART to avoid the jams.
    image1.jpg

Can't believe that the Abbey is charging for everything they have on, not exactly cheap at €25 euro a ticket.

• Advertisement

Not so much the Abbey charging but the promoter, Arena Lynx.

Last time I saw Chris Kavanagh play it was in the Abbey Tavern aswell and I had to pay in.

All the gigs in the barn are run by an independent promoter who has to pay artist fees and venue charges. The Abbey run their own diddly-eye stuff for the tourists. It's a large hall compared to the other venues where they have just a few tables reserved. Commercial reality kinda means they charge.

tricky D wrote:
    All the gigs in the barn are run by an independent promoter who has to pay artist fees and venue charges. The Abbey run their own diddly-eye stuff for the tourists. It's a large hall compared to the other venues where they have just a few tables reserved. Commercial reality kinda means they charge.

Coolio, I didn't know that, I thought the Abbey operated the venue solo.

I'd presume that a lot of people would just go to the free shows that are on all over the place and see the musicians intead of paying in somewhere. The amateurs can be just as good if not better than the pros, the girlfriends father is playing out in O connnells and and the Bloody Stream.

Advertisement