Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP Inspection - what to expect from it?

Options
  • 24-05-2017 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi I received a phone call from the local council just there to ask us if it suited us from them to call down tomorrow morning and inspect the house that we are currently renting . I was just wondering if anybody has has an inspection lately and what to expect please ?? Just to say that we moved in in Jan this year and have always paid our Weekley rent to the council .. also can I ask we also put in an expression of interest on a property that the council had up on the new choice based lettings scheme and was wondering could they be connected I. E are they trying to see if we a keep a nice clean tidy house ??? And can I add we do .. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I think they're trying to move everyone onto HAP?

They'll probably check if it meets the HAP standards, and what would need to be done by the landlord to bring it up to scratch. The landlord may decide it's not financially worth doing the work, and you may then have to find a new place to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭unreg999

I would have thought that these are basic standards of houses that one could expect if handing over rent for a property.
    The ll wouldn't have a leg to stand on if he wanted to kick an existing tenant out rather than being the horse up to standard.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

unreg999 wrote: »
    I would have thought that these are basic standards of houses that one could expect if handing over rent for a property.
    The ll wouldn't have a leg to stand on if he wanted to kick an existing tenant out rather than being the horse up to standard.

Nope- HAP requirements are significantly in excess of regular rental standards, as laid down in the Act- and can include brining a building built 20 years ago- defacto up to current building standards (for example- requiring formal ventilation of bedrooms- instead of the common window frame vents, isolation of electricity sub systems etc etc.

It can cost thousands to comply with HAP requirements- for a property that is in good condition and that is being legitimately rented up to and including the HAP rental (often even to the same tenant).

Some HAP administration has been relaxed- aka 2 months rent as a deposit is now standard, and rent is in advance rather than arrears- i.e. bring a HAP tenant onto a level pegging with any other tenant- but other issues- such as the very high standards demanded- are in addition to those required for a regular rental unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

unreg999 wrote: »
    If the building is not to HAP standards, will the landlord continue to get payment for HAP? If not, the LL would be kicking the tenants out because the LL would not be getting rent.

Advertisement