Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous restrictions on full discussion of the Manchester attack and its context

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Murrisk wrote: »
    Yes, I don't think that's the intent of everyone bringing up the IRA though, I think some people are being misunderstood. They are just pointing out that in the fairly recent past, Irish people in the UK were judged because of the actions of a minority.

I agree, but the more hard line posters then step in and wreck the thread, then the mods are accused of usually pro Ira bias, or being unionists, if they action those. Thread bans work sometimes in this case but not always

• Registered Users Posts: 27,913 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think this is a good decision by the Mods.
    Discussion of Israel/Palestine will take over the thread completely and turn it into another never ending multi-quote battle.

The main reason people bring up the IRA into threads like this is to repeatedly make flawed comparisons between the IRA/Irish people and Islamic terrorism.
    They also try to paint the IRA as christian extremists, which they were not.
    You even had one poster, in one of the threads, claim that the IRA could be responsible for the attack.

And I know you're probably going to say that they should be allowed say these things and their arguments should be disproven.
    But it's the same flawed argument used over and over again.
    There's only so many times you have the patience to disprove it.
    There comes a stage where it just trolling or trying to derail a thread.

The first person I heard mention the IRA in connection with the Manchester bombings was a person from Manchester who was interviewed on Newstalk the morning after the bombings who said that the people of Manchester would pull together as they had done with the previous bombings in 1996.

I don't know about you, but it certainly made me ashamed to be Irish to realise that some people in Manchester saw the two incidents in the same light. I can certainly empathise with those Muslims who are completely ashamed of the actions of ISIS.

To answer the OP therefore, yes there is a reason to compare the IRA and ISIS. If there is a relevant thread in AH I will post in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Well that was a fairly interesting debate for the two or three days nobody felt the need to chaperone us like children :rolleyes:

If there was a facepalm or even facedesk emoji it would be wildly appropriate right now.

So is this going to be addressed, or will it still be "closed pending review" until Jesus comes again to judge all OPs whose threads are still closed pending review when he comes?

This is a moronic state of affairs. It's been closed for two full days for absolutely no reason. I've been complaining about Boards' over moddedness for at least two years but this is just going off the deep end - at least tell us why it's being closed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

So is this going to be addressed, or will it still be "closed pending review" until Jesus comes again to judge all OPs whose threads are still closed pending review when he comes?

This is a moronic state of affairs. It's been closed for two full days for absolutely no reason. I've been complaining about Boards' over moddedness for at least two years but this is just going off the deep end - at least tell us why it's being closed.

Sorry but what's been closed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Peregrine wrote: »
    Sorry but what's been closed?

A thread on how all asylum seekers are bogus, since then we've a fairly active thread in the cafe discussing the recent court ruling on the rights of asylum seekers to work

The first thread is still under review but probably covered by the second at this stage as it has over 100 replies and address a lot of the IP of the closed thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

"Under Review"?

How does a "review" take place? What is being reviewed?

Stheno wrote: »
    A thread on how all asylum seekers are bogus, since then we've a fairly active thread in the cafe discussing the recent court ruling on the rights of asylum seekers to work

The first thread is still under review but probably covered by the second at this stage as it has over 100 replies and address a lot of the IP of the closed thread

I'm talking about the IRA / ISIS thread, which I presumed would be obvious given that this was the original subject of this particular thread we're posting in here...

What exactly did anybody do in there that warranted the entire thread being nuked? Why can't the individuals responsible just be banned and let the conversation continue?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103647563

Advertisement