Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Donabate

Options
  • 24-05-2017 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

HI all..

Thinking of moving to Donabate and would really appreciate any feedback you would have.
    The main reason is budget and the train!
    I work in city centre and the train is a huge plus for now.
    I know there isn't a lot in the way of restaurants, pubs and take aways etc.
    But Its near Malahide etc.

For those of you who live there, do you like it?
    Is there much childcare facilities etc? How much is a taxi from town of a night out?!
    Thanks very much in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Living there two years and find it great

There is a lack of things in the village compared to Malahide/Swords but you are only four minutes away on the train.

Taxi from town can be expensive (€50 or so) but find I am going out less and less in town these days anyways. (minus is the lack of a nightlink!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm out in Portrane so Donabate is our nearest spot for shopping / takeaways etc. There's not a huge selection in terms of restaurants etc. but there's a chinese, an indian, an italian and a couple of chippers in the area, I can't speak to the pubs as I've yet to try them out in the evenings (small kids).

The 41n runs Fridays and Saturdays but a taxi out from town will definitely cost you a few quid.

Childcare isn't much of an issue for us as Mrs Sleepy is a childminder herself, there tends to be plenty of adds seeing/offering childcare on donabateportrane.net though.

We've only lived here since late August but so far, we love the place. Lovely coastal walks, good parks for the kids (Newbridge is fantastic and your also near Malahide Castle, Ardgillan etc.) great neighbours (most of our road called in to welcome us to the estate, there was a Halloween party for the neighbours and Mrs Sleepy has gone on a couple of "girls nights" with some of the other ladies on the road.

In terms of commuting, it takes me about 25 minutes to get to Blanchardstown in the mornings assuming there's no incidents on the M50 and, on the rare occassion I have to work in town, taking the tunnel will get me into the IFSC in about the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hammy007

Percyxoxo wrote: »
    HI all..

Thinking of moving to Donabate and would really appreciate any feedback you would have.
    The main reason is budget and the train!
    I work in city centre and the train is a huge plus for now.
    I know there isn't a lot in the way of restaurants, pubs and take aways etc.
    But Its near Malahide etc.

For those of you who live there, do you like it?
    Is there much childcare facilities etc? How much is a taxi from town of a night out?!
    Thanks very much in advance

We've lived in Donabate for almost 2 years now, and absolutely love it. Taxi on a normal night would run about €35, cost me €60 on the day of the train strike, so just depends on traffic.

There are a few creches and a lot of minders (usually posted on donabateportrane.net, or by word of mouth, or at the bulletin board in Supervalu). There is also a centre based in St Pat's called Sherpa Kids. Primary schools are excellent, but have heard mixed things about the secondary school.

It's easy to walk to the train station from most places in Donabate. Newbridge is a wonderful amenity, and Donabate and Portrane beaches are just a few minutes drive (although you can walk to them if you're motivated enough :) I like to watch for seals in Portrane. Lots of golf courses if you golf, and there are tennis courts now too.

Restaurants and pubs are only okay, but Malahide and Skerries are close enough and have really nice places to eat. Most takeaways in Swords deliver to Donabate.

Overall, I think it's a very nice community that tends to look out for each other and it has everything a small village needs. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Where are the Seals in Portrane?

You'd see them quite regularly in the water off Portrane and Tower beaches

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Where are the Seals in Portrane?

I usually see them when the water is calm on the beach behind the pub.

hammy007 wrote: »
    I usually see them when the water is calm on the beach behind the pub.

I really dont enjoy the beach as much as I should!

I can't go too long without it, and when I get bored of Donabate I wander over to Portrane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Donabate-specific. Split from the "Coastal Towns..." thread.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭private

Main reason I discounted Donabate as a place to live in. The village is not adjacent to the wonderful beach. Otherwise a place I love to visit😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Looking at buying in Donabate in Rahillion. Really like the area, only reservation would be traffic as I'll be driving to work in North Dublin city. Can anyone tell me what traffic is like heading towards the city in the morning? I'd be heading onto the N32 towards malahide road. Thanks in advance!

Also any info about school places would be much appreciated, seems to be a big issue all over Fingal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Looking at buying in Donabate in Rahillion. Really like the area, only reservation would be traffic as I'll be driving to work in North Dublin city. Can anyone tell me what traffic is like heading towards the city in the morning? I'd be heading onto the N32 towards malahide road. Thanks in advance!
    It would depend on what time you'll be on the road so you'd need to be more specific.

(PS - if you're going from Donabate to north city centre, why would you use the N32? You'd be travelling east when you should be heading south.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Pyrite an issue there? Because it is in Lusk.

Thanks for reply. I'd need to be in raheny for 8.30. Thought that would be best route. Have to factor in a creche run so can't use train but would hope to find a creche closer to home eventually.

It would depend on what time you'll be on the road so you'd need to be more specific.

(PS - if you're going from Donabate to north city centre, why would you use the N32? You'd be travelling east when you should be heading south.)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Qwer

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Also any info about school places would be much appreciated, seems to be a big issue all over Fingal.
    Primary?
    Educate together is over subscribed and would need to be on waiting list, St Patricks girls school and St Patricks boys school which is next rahillion are not as far as i am aware, certainly there was places last year .
    Ive no idea of secondary

Yep it's primary I was thinking of. Thanks!

quote="Qwer;104229023"]Primary?
    Educate together is over subscribed and would need to be on waiting list, St Patricks girls school and St Patricks boys school which is next rahillion are not as far as i am aware, certainly there was places last year .
    Ive no idea of secondary

We had no issues getting our two into St Patricks Boys and Girls schools last year. The ET is massively over-subscribed but even though I was initially very disappointed about that, I've heard of a few parents who've moved their kids from the ET to St Patricks because they weren't happy with standards in the ET. I've no more detail than that but, despite the time lost to religion classes (which they were fine with our kids not taking part in), we've found St. Pats to be very good.

Traffic wise, I get from Portrane to an Industrial Estate in Blanchardstown in about 25 minutes in the summer holidays or about 40 minutes during school term. Taking the Port Tunnel you'd be in town in about 30 minutes in rush hour though it'd get pretty expensive at €10 a go!

Thanks for that. It's the boys school I was thinking of so that's good to hear. During term time how do you find the traffic out of the village to m1 ? Also is the m1 busy at that point? I'd be leaving about 7.50 to 8.00

quote="Sleepy;104240049"]We had no issues getting our two into St Patricks Boys and Girls schools last year. The ET is massively over-subscribed but even though I was initially very disappointed about that, I've heard of a few parents who've moved their kids from the ET to St Patricks because they weren't happy with standards in the ET. I've no more detail than that but, despite the time lost to religion classes (which they were fine with our kids not taking part in), we've found St. Pats to be very good.

Traffic wise, I get from Portrane to an Industrial Estate in Blanchardstown in about 25 minutes in the summer holidays or about 40 minutes during school term. Taking the Port Tunnel you'd be in town in about 30 minutes in rush hour though it'd get pretty expensive at €10 a go![/quote]

I leave Portrane a bit later, usually around 8:30 and have no issues so would imagine you'd be fine. The M1 only really becomes an issue if there's a crash or something, though that happens once every month or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows the current staf of the trains in Donabate in the morning? I have seen a few threads saying they are packed to the rafters in the morning..but those threads are from a few years ago. So it would be great to know the current situation.
    Thanks in advance

I assume you mean state?

In my experience they are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

Yes thanks I do. In terms of how packed they are at rush hour and if you need to wait for a few trains to actually get on one. Cheers

Yes thanks I do. In terms of how packed they are at rush hour and if you need to wait for a few trains to actually get on one. Cheers

I have never had to wait for a next train

Going in is always good, sometimes a seat, mostly not. On the way back the 5.35 (from Connolly) isnt great but thats it really. 17.11 starts at Connolly though and is great

Check out the 33d, its a brilliant (but dont tell everyone ;))

You can get on, but you'll very rarely get a seat. It's not as bad in the summer when people are on holidays, but I wouldn't expect a seat the rest of the year. The Dart is badly needed in Donabate, as it's a huge commuter hub.

hammy007 wrote: »
    You can get on, but you'll very rarely get a seat. It's not as bad in the summer when people are on holidays, but I wouldn't expect a seat the rest of the year. The Dart is badly needed in Donabate, as it's a huge commuter hub.

I am not sure I would take the Dart if it meant losing the Commuter Service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I am not sure I would take the Dart if it meant losing the Commuter Service

Why would it ?

Malahide and portmarnock have both services.

Also at peak times the commuter service is frequently no faster than the Dart.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Why would it ?

Malahide and portmarnock have both services.

Also at peak times the commuter service is frequently no faster than the Dart.

Just a lack of trust in Irish rail I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1 theoriginal

Village/town ruined.

• Advertisement

Village/town ruined.
    What happened now?

Advertisement