Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Donabate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

naughtb4 wrote: »
    What happened now?

Residents are campaigning for responsible and sustainable development on the Donabate/Portrane peninsula. There is significant building activity on the peninsula at the moment with several housing developments and the National Forensic Mental Hospital.

There is currently only one road in and out of Donabate that includes a narrow railway bridge. Traffic in and out of the village at peak times is very slow. You can imagine how bad that has become given significant construction traffic that will only get worse.

There are plans for a distributor road that will essentially by-pass Donabate village and open up additional lands for development. However, despite a photo call for a ground breaking ceremony, FCC have yet to start the project. There are also plans to widen the road at the railway bridge. Again, that has been delayed with no sign of it commencing. There are parts of the main road into Donabate where two trucks/buses cannot pass.

There are also issues where schools are at capacity and other amenities lacking such as a Garda station. This all happening in a town that is planned to be as big as Athlone in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Tropheus wrote: »

Residents are campaigning for responsible and sustainable development on the Donabate/Portrane peninsula. There is significant building activity on the peninsula at the moment with several housing developments and the National Forensic Mental Hospital.

There is currently only one road in and out of Donabate that includes a narrow railway bridge. Traffic in and out of the village at peak times is very slow. You can imagine how bad that has become given significant construction traffic that will only get worse.

There are plans for a distributor road that will essentially by-pass Donabate village and open up additional lands for development. However, despite a photo call for a ground breaking ceremony, FCC have yet to start the project. There are also plans to widen the road at the railway bridge. Again, that has been delayed with no sign of it commencing. There are parts of the main road into Donabate where two trucks/buses cannot pass.

There are also issues where schools are at capacity and other amenities lacking such as a Garda station. This all happening in a town that is planned to be as big as Athlone in the coming years.

Cannot disagree with any of that to be honest. Lived here 2.5 years and Council are ruining it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tropheus wrote: »
    ....There are also plans to widen the road at the railway bridge. Again, that has been delayed with no sign of it commencing. ....
    I believe the ESB are holding that up. There is a large pole very close to the edge of the current road which needs to be moved out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Good youtube video here ref some of the issues in Donabate. The residents aren't against any new development just want the infrastructure to match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbkXh75DIvc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Work on the new distributor road, that will start just after the entrance to Newbridge House and bypass the town heading up to Portrane, is well under way now but expected to take 16 months to complete.

• Advertisement

What the council have done or rather haven't done is a disgrace

Homer wrote: »
    Work on the new distributor road, that will start just after the entrance to Newbridge House and bypass the town heading up to Portrane, is well under way now but expected to take 16 months to complete.

That road is a bit of a scam. It opens up massive green-field sites to build another few thousand houses, but does nothing to deal with traffic will only add to it. Was supposed to be a dual carriageway but has been downgraded.

That road is a bit of a scam. It opens up massive green-field sites to build another few thousand houses, but does nothing to deal with traffic will only add to it. Was supposed to be a dual carriageway but has been downgraded.

The whole thing is a scam, seems like only the houses part of the Lap will actually get delivered

Is there not a problem with lack of supply of houses though?

Donabate is already taking its fair share

Also no problem with houses, once the infrastructure is there, it patently isn't

• Advertisement

Donabate is already taking its fair share

Also no problem with houses, once the infrastructure is there, it patently isn't

Surely the developers have applied for planning, and as part of the process fingal county council have looked at whether the infrastructure is there or not or whether new roads need to be built etc and have made a decision based on that?
    I would have thought the new road will divert traffic on to the new road thereby avoiding through traffic in the village?

You would have hoped so but it's not the case.

No new schools no new amenities etc. The council are clueless tbh (or worse don't care), I haven't seen anything new in three years apart from more and more building sites. There are already problems with the water supply which goes probably once a month

My wife is a primary teacher and cannot wait for the three schools promised by the LAP, no movement at all.

Even the LAP seems to have been twisted to allow as many houses as possible

Its all very worrying. I think I heard that 25% of all housing is being built in Donabate (may not be entirely accurate). It's to be the size of Naas and Athlone yet has nothing but one unfit for purpose road connecting it with the m1

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Born78

You would have hoped so but it's not the case.

No new schools no new amenities etc. The council are clueless tbh (or worse don't care), I haven't seen anything new in three years apart from more and more building sites. There are already problems with the water supply which goes probably once a month

My wife is a primary teacher and cannot wait for the three schools promised by the LAP, no movement at all.

Even the LAP seems to have been twisted to allow as many houses as possible

Its all very worrying. I think I heard that 25% of all housing is being built in Donabate (may not be entirely accurate). It's to be the size of Naas and Athlone yet has nothing but one unfit for purpose road connecting it with the m1

This is shameful from County Council. Granting new planning permission without upgrading basic facilities, roads and so on. This will not be sustainable longer period.
    The only thing to do is protesting and marching peacefully. The only thing to do to get attention and influence lawmakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Surely the developers have applied for planning, and as part of the process fingal county council have looked at whether the infrastructure is there or not or whether new roads need to be built etc and have made a decision based on that?
    I would have thought the new road will divert traffic on to the new road thereby avoiding through traffic in the village?

You honestly believe there is such a thing as town planning in this country? I don't think the concept even exists. The process doesn't seem to go beyond "How many houses can be crammed in there?" The question of how access, schooling, and other infrastructure get thought of after the fact once there's a huge issue.

.... I think I heard that 25% of all housing is being built in Donabate (may not be entirely accurate)....
    25% of what?

The country certainly needs more homes but it will be a disaster if you the infrastructure doesn't match it. The council want to build a massive council estate up there. Again, there are people who need to council houses but a massive council estate with no infrastructure to back it up is a disaster.

The new road enters Hearse too early. That road is very narrow and dangerous as is. Ask anyone who tries to cycle it.

....That road is very narrow and dangerous as is. Ask anyone who tries to cycle it.
    I cycle it regularly. There are more dangerous roads out there such as the R127 and R128.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The country certainly needs more homes but it will be a disaster if you the infrastructure doesn't match it. The council want to build a massive council estate up there. Again, there are people who need to council houses but a massive council estate with no infrastructure to back it up is a disaster.

Which goes without saying to anyone who has half a brain.It just doesn't seem to bother the people who actually plan the stuff all that much.I have yet to come across joined-up thinking in the planning and building process.Everything seems to be considered as an individual case, without any reference to what's around it or improvements that would be needed to infrastructure or anything.

The council want to build a massive council estate up there.

That explains a lot of the negativity I guess.

• Advertisement

That explains a lot of the negativity I guess.

Not for me,

I want schools that aren't massively oversubscribed already (without the new houses)

I want buses to town instead of an overreliance on trains which seem to not run every bank holiday weekend due to "maintenance"

I want a water supply that doesn't have issues 1/2 times a month already (without the new houses)

I want proper planning amenities such as playgrounds and god forbid roads that are fit for purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Sorry to revive an old thread but Donabate is a lovely town - too lovely for its own good it seems as a huge amount of building is going on and planning to go on.

What about the 1200 extra houses at ballymastone that FCC have put out to tender? Notwithstanding that even with the distributor road, the massive increase in traffic over the next few years will mean regular traffic jams at the bottleneck of the hearse road/M1 junction in the mornings and evenings, but also 30% of those houses they want as social housing. That is far too much in a single development in one place (way above the 10% guideline) which has the potential to destroy the town. Darndale/Ballymun anyone? I can't be the only one with concerns about this.

Elessar wrote: »
    Sorry to revive an old thread but Donabate is a lovely town - too lovely for its own good it seems as a huge amount of building is going on and planning to go on.

What about the 1200 extra houses at ballymastone that FCC have put out to tender? Notwithstanding that even with the distributor road, the massive increase in traffic over the next few years will mean regular traffic jams at the bottleneck of the hearse road/M1 junction in the mornings and evenings, but also 30% of those houses they want as social housing. That is far too much in a single development in one place (way above the 10% guideline) which has the potential to destroy the town. Darndale/Ballymun anyone? I can't be the only one with concerns about this.

You are not, it will be a disaster

But the council have targets to hit and bonuses to get

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Nope, you're far from alone in your worries about the Ballymastone development Elessar. SPDD are kicking up quite the fuss about it locally and many of the residents here are very concerned about it.

I'd hope that any developers interested will be quick to tell the council that 30% social and 20% affordable is a non-flyer - it'll destroy any potential for profit on the remaining 50% of the units (obviously, it's impact on the area is far more worrying for the rest of us than the developers margins but that's likely to be the bigger factor in how this development goes I'm afraid).

Advertisement