Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of Dublin.

Options
  • 24-05-2017 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭

Has one narrative come to dominate the history of Dublin

.http://www.dublincity.ie/node/14402. visited this exhibition today The story of the capital.

It is very interesting and free in, however when you get to the modern era a lot though not all is the usual themes of poverty large family's tenements etc a lot of the 1916 exhibition were the same it has become the dominant narrative.

Where is the history of middle class Dublin or Protestant Dublin both substantial group in the history of Dublin.

Walking back up the street I noticed the sign for the working boys home and Harding technical school which was a protestant organisation for working boys.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The tenements were the worst in the 'western' world though, no surprise they dominate

Who is the exhibition aimed at could you tell, Irish people or tourists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I suppose in any exhibition you have to pick and choose what you include. It would be far stranger if they included a history of 'Protestant' Dublin and left out the tenements though. Having said that, 1916 and the tenements include Protestant histories too, those two things aren't exclusively Roman Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The tenements were the worst in the 'western' world though, no surprise they dominate

Who is the exhibition aimed at could you tell, Irish people or tourists?

It Dublin city council history I suppose, its got the Mace, Seal and sword of Dublin.

Achasanai wrote: »
    I suppose in any exhibition you have to pick and choose what you include. It would be far stranger if they included a history of 'Protestant' Dublin and left out the tenements though. Having said that, 1916 and the tenements include Protestant histories too, those two things aren't exclusively Roman Catholic.

Yes but a full history would be better its not just the tenements its the general narrative of poverty when that is only one story.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

mariaalice wrote: »
    It Dublin city council history I suppose, its got the Mace, Seal and sword of Dublin.

I mean who are the people most likely to go to the exhibition, if it's locals then I agree that ignoring a section of the history is wrong, but if it's for tourists then it makes sense to focus on the big and most interesting events imo.

• Advertisement

I mean who are the people most likely to go to the exhibition, if it's locals then I agree that ignoring a section of the history is wrong, but if it's for tourists then it makes sense to focus on the big and most interesting events imo.

That is a good point hand't though of that, its not just that exhibition though there is definitively a dominant narrative of poverty in modern era history of Dublin. That narrative excludes a lot of other history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

mariaalice wrote: »
    Yes but a full history would be better its not just the tenements its the general narrative of poverty when that is only one story.

A full history of what? Dublin? Poverty?

A full history of either of those things would require an absolutely vast exhibit space.

Advertisement