Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTT apt at 26 weeks??

Options
  • 24-05-2017 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

HI. Just been checking my appts card and my GTT falls at 26 weeks when the leaflet states it should be done at 28 weeks. Assuming midwife miscalculated and I didn't notice tl now. How significant is the 28 wks or do some places test from 26 wks??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

73trix wrote: »
    HI. Just been checking my appts card and my GTT falls at 26 weeks when the leaflet states it should be done at 28 weeks. Assuming midwife miscalculated and I didn't notice tl now. How significant is the 28 wks or do some places test from 26 wks??

Hey 73 trix, depending on your risk they might move up the test, I had mine at 24w as family history and being on a steroid increased my risk again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Hey 73 trix, depending on your risk they might move up the test, I had mine at 24w as family history and being on a steroid increased my risk again.

Thanks. The only risk factor for me is being 40+ and last time had it at 28 wks but maybe it's because i'm now a bit older again? I was just deciding whether it was worth chasing up to change but that might be the reason so.

can't rem the last time only that I was fine but how soon do you get results? Is it there an then or have to wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

I had it at 25 weeks due to family history and beimg pregnant with twins, and a 2nd time somewhere around 32 or 33 weeks

lollsangel wrote: »
    I had it at 25 weeks due to family history and beimg pregnant with twins, and a 2nd time somewhere around 32 or 33 weeks

Fair enough. Guess it does vary then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The leaflet from my hosp says it's done between 26 and 28 weeks. I've had three of them at 26 weeks

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    The leaflet from my hosp says it's done between 26 and 28 weeks. I've had three of them at 26 weeks

Fair enough. My leaflet says 28 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Minnie2017

73trix wrote: »

Mine was scheduled for 26 weeks exactly. But turns out you were right, and I shouldn't have gotten an appt. they went ahead and did it anyways though since I was there

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭BOB2017

Mine is next week at 27 weeks - I think my leaflet says they will call you the same afternoon to let you know if there's any problem with the results

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

What is GTT?

Glucose Tolerance Test - it tests for Gestational Diabetes. You might need to get it depending on family history, BMI at booking or age

• Advertisement

BOB2017 wrote: »
    Glucose Tolerance Test - it tests for Gestational Diabetes. You might need to get it depending on family history, BMI at booking or age

Thanks!

I thought everyone was tested for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

lashes34 wrote: »
    Thanks!

I thought everyone was tested for that?

No only if there's a reason to test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I had to ring the hospital the following day between certain times to get the result, but I did mine in a satellite clinic. Mine was fine, but if it was high then they give you an appointment for the glucose tolerance test. They should provide a leaflet with details after your test.

BOB2017 wrote: »

Do you know what BMI you have to have to get it or what age? I am 33 and have a BMI of 25.2

Well I'm 34, BMI at booking was 29.6 and there's family history of diabetes so the midwife at booking said looking at all of the family history & borderline BMI she would put me down for the GTT. Based on that I'm guessing its normally if your BMI categorises you as obese they'll definitely do it but I'm not sure. (Off topic I know but I hate BMI as a measure, pre-pregnancy I could have done with losing about a stone but I was a size 12 and I'm pretty sure I didn't look borderline obese!!!)

If you've had your booking appointment chances are it'll have flagged up whether you need it done or not :)

Booking appointment is next week so will see what they say. Thanks

Booking appointment is next week so will see what they say. Thanks

You're safe enough with age. Age is for over 40!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Do you know what BMI you have to have to get it or what age? I am 33 and have a BMI of 25.2

You are grand ;)

Advertisement