Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing when to have next private scan

Options
  • 24-05-2017 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I'm a public patient but thought I'd get an extra private scan in between 20 and 32 wks for added piece of mind. I was thinking of 26 week mark. Would that make sense or 28 wks? I'm due to get GTT done at 26 wks so was wondering if the result of that might be significant, would a scan close to that make more sense? Apols for stupid question as it prob can't really be answered.

In the SE so considering Kilkenny or Beacon. Any recommendations? Some places offer a "wellness scan" for a bit extra but you get more info....apparently. We might even go for the 3D while we're at it since happy to pay for this scan anyway. Didn't bother with any private scans last time but I'm a few years older this time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meathcat7

I can recommend Ultrasound Dimensions in Blackrock, if you are planning on travelling up to Dublin. You can book online, you don't have to pay until you get there and you don't need a doctor's referral. They open at the weekends too and you can pick what time you want, if it is available. I thought they were very good anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Greysloan

The Womens Health Group in Kilkenny are very good. I've been to them twice now for private scans and they can't do enough for you.

We got an anotomy scan done at 24 weeks (can be done from 20-24 weeks) and she went through everything with us. She couldnt get a proper look at thd spine because of the way the baby was lying so asked us to come back next week at no extra charge. Got loads of print outs and she even printed out a 3D scan pic for us.

You can check them out online, they have a range of different scans available and all prices are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Meathcat7 wrote: »
    I can recommend Ultrasound Dimensions in Blackrock, if you are planning on travelling up to Dublin. You can book online, you don't have to pay until you get there and you don't need a doctor's referral. They open at the weekends too and you can pick what time you want, if it is available. I thought they were very good anyway.

Also went there for a 3D/4D scan. They're really nice and try to accommodate you so it all suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

If you wait until 28 weeks, you can get a 4D scan. We had one at Ultrasound Dimensions in a blackrock and it was the most enjoyable experience of the whole pregnancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I got a 3d and 4d at my anatomy scan.....it was amazing :) in the photos you can see the baby's face and individual fingers etc.

I have my next appointment on Tuesday so get another scan then I will be around 26 weeks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Millem wrote: »
    I got a 3d and 4d at my anatomy scan.....it was amazing :) in the photos you can see the baby's face and individual fingers etc.

I have my next appointment on Tuesday so get another scan then I will be around 26 weeks :)

Yup, reckon I'll wait it out to 28wks and get the 4D. They look amazing.

73trix wrote: »
    Yup, reckon I'll wait it out to 28wks and get the 4D. They look amazing.

They can do 4d before 28 weeks!!
    I had mine a few weeks ago ;)

They can do 4d before 28 weeks!!
    I had mine a few weeks ago ;)

Yes but it's been recommended that the best time is between 28 and 32. I was trying to decide whether to get at 26 or 28 but for the sake of 2 wks, think I'll hold. Feeling great. Plenty of movement. Gp check up, doppler etc at 24 wks. Looking forward to hearing the heartbeat again next week.

Yes but it's been recommended that the best time is between 28 and 32. I was trying to decide whether to get at 26 or 28 but for the sake of 2 wks, think I'll hold. Feeling great. Plenty of movement. Gp check up, doppler etc at 24 wks. Looking forward to hearing the heartbeat again next week.

Oh right. I feel I haven't seen the baby in ages. Looking forward to Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I think you should wait a little longer - maybe 30 weeks. My son looked like himself on the 3D scan at 34 weeks. It's so cool to see. 34 weeks was a check for position though so a bit too late to see much as there isn't much room.

• Advertisement

I think you should wait a little longer - maybe 30 weeks. My son looked like himself on the 3D scan at 34 weeks. It's so cool to see. 34 weeks was a check for position though so a bit too late to see much as there isn't much room.

I have a scan at 32 wks anyway so that would be very close
    I want a scan for reassurance aswell in between the public 20 and 32 hence trying to go midway ish 27-28.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

If you aren't getting an anatomy scan i highly recommend you get the scan at 20 weeks. It really is very important and can show up any medical issues. Its atrocious that it's not mandatory in every hospital. Having cute pictures is irrelevant if your baby has medical issues that could have been fixed In the womb or managed immediately at birth

If you aren't getting an anatomy scan i highly recommend you get the scan at 20 weeks. It really is very important and can show up any medical issues. Its atrocious that it's not mandatory in every hospital. Having cute pictures is irrelevant if your baby has medical issues that could have been fixed In the womb or managed immediately at birth

I had my anatomy / anomaly scan at 20 wks and all good. It's not solely for pictures. I want another scan for reassurance rather than waiting til next scan at 32 wks but if I'm getting a private one at that stage, I might aswell get the 3/4D done as well as the wellness check. It's only an extra €20.

I see Groupon have a 3/4D deal for mymedical.ie with the platinum package including well baby check. Anyone done this and what did the wellness check include? It's v reasonable at e99. Anywhere else charging 160-180. Going on options out there, I like the idea of checking fluid. Placenta and generally baby's growth.

Is that the place in cherrywood? Got a thing in my door about it.......it must be new!

Is that the place in cherrywood? Got a thing in my door about it.......it must be new!

Yes. They have 2/3 clinics. I guess the Groupon is to help promote. They're an expansion of mydental.ie, They do have great opening hours and since we're down the country, it might work well. Open til 9pm some days!

Advertisement