Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toaster from Agros

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

davo10 wrote: »
    Dear God, it's like saying the average height is 5:8in and than saying a small car is not fit for purpose because you can't sit in it.

The toaster just won't fully toast the bread the op likes, it will toast other sized bread, it works, it toasts, the op should have bought a bigger one.

Now you're just being deliberately obtuse. Standard pan slices won't fit and Argos do not state this in their product details.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dear God, it's like saying the average height is 5:8in and than saying a small car is not fit for purpose because you can't sit in it.

The toaster just won't fully toast the bread the op likes, it will toast other sized bread, it works, it toasts, the op should have bought a bigger one.

You don't seem to understand your own analogy

If the average height is 5'8" and a car is sold that can only be driven by people under 4'5", it wouldn't be fit for purpose as a normal car. It would have to be sold as what it is - a car for very short people

This toaster cannot fit standard size bread, and the size is not called out in advance anywhere by Argos.
    So if you bought a normal toaster and the bread you like wouldn't fit in that, is the bread "not fit for purpose" because it won't fit in a standard toaster?

Honestly, I think you are trolling.

Accusing a moderator of trolling isn't particularly advisable, I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Is this really a surprise though? Pretty much every toaster I've encountered will take the "square" pan slice OK, but if you have a pan bread with a domed top, it never fits. You always have to flip to get the top part toasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You do know that most sliced loaves are standard and this toaster won't take them, don't you? Therefore, it doesn't meet the needs or purpose of most consumers of toast.

You do know that on the Argos website it gives details about toasters.

L1011 wrote: »

If the average height is 5'8" and a car is sold that can only be driven by people under 4'5", it wouldn't be fit for purpose as a normal car. It would have to be sold as what it is - a car for very short people

This toaster cannot fit standard size bread, and the size is not called out in advance anywhere by Argos.

Accusing a moderator of trolling isn't particularly advisable, I must say.

That's just mad, and funny in an ironic kinda way.
    A toaster that toasts, but won't toast all sizes, a car that can be driven is not fit for purpose because all sizes cannot fit into it. And you think being a moderator makes that right?

The toaster works, it doesn't advertise to fit all size breads, there is no false advertising, there is no "not fit for purpose", there is "not fit for ops intended purpose" but that is not to say it is faulty.

Just to clarify, L1011, is the toaster broken? Was it advertised as being able to toast all types of bread? Was the op mislead, or did the op just make an assumption? Does the NSAI specify a "standard size for bread" that all toasters must conform to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭cml387

This is what I love about boards. A heated argument about toast and bread size.

cml387 wrote: »

Definite AH material.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I, for one, will be closing my account in protest if you people don't start taking poor smiley girl's dilemma seriously.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

there have been old threads about it too. I was really curious why it is so hard to get a toaster which would fit bread. Just as I am curious why pack sizes do not match, e.g. hot dogs typically in 10 packs, but rolls in 6 packs -yet burger makers seem to get it right.

I read that in other countries the bread is smaller and so does fit. You do need an extra long one which is intended for 2 slices.

I have never bought a toaster and have always just suffered what others in the house have gone and bought. The current one in my house does not even fit some slices of tesco "toaster pan bread".

There is a real market for a decent one, the extra long ones are too big, you only need it a small bit bigger.

This lad cut paper to the size of his slice pan and went to the shops to test it out!

The hunt to find a toaster that will actually accept Warburtons slices. Armed with a paper model of a Warburtons farmhouse slice that I made, I try every toaster in Currys, to mostly disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

OP so does the receipt say excluded from the 30 day exchange or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rock22

That's just mad, and funny in an ironic kinda way.
    A toaster that toasts, but won't toast all sizes, a car that can be driven is not fit for purpose because all sizes cannot fit into it. And you think being a moderator makes that right?

The toaster works, it doesn't advertise to fit all size breads, there is no false advertising, there is no "not fit for purpose", there is "not fit for ops intended purpose" but that is not to say it is faulty.

Just to clarify, L1011, is the toaster broken? Was it advertised as being able to toast all types of bread? Was the op mislead, or did the op just make an assumption? Does the NSAI specify a "standard size for bread" that all toasters must conform to?

But it is not a toaster that toasts!
    I replaced an old Philips toaster which had stopped working after 20 yrs. It would handle all sliced pan bread from usual supermarkets. The Argos toaster would not. Whats more, because of bad design, the top part of the bread did not get toasted because the heated element did not reach above about half the height of the bread.
    A Toaster from Tesco , and from Aldi had no problem with the same sliced pan bread.
    The Argos

instrument is an enclosed box with a small heated element . But it will not toast a slice of bread and therefore it is not of merchantable quality, ( as to a toaster ).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

L1011 wrote: »

Now I'm just thinking of this:

I'd agree on the toaster though. I can't find anything on standard bread size, but Ebay seems to think there's a standard depth for toasters

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

OP so does the receipt say excluded from the 30 day exchange or not?

After causing all this debate over toasters & bread size I am wary to say I didn't bring the toaster back. While it's my opinion (strong opinion) that any toaster should fit the standard square cut slice of bread I felt that because I'd used it and it did indeed toast, well partially.
    It wasn't a faulty item so I thought it'd be a tad cheeky to try and return it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It wasn't a faulty item so I thought it'd be a tad cheeky to try and return it :D
    what model was it? you should at least leave a negative review about it.

Mine is a "beaumark ecotoast" and some sliced of tesco toasty bread did not fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭cml387

After causing all this debate over toasters & bread size I am wary to say I didn't bring the toaster back. While it's my opinion (strong opinion) that any toaster should fit the standard square cut slice of bread I felt that because I'd used it and it did indeed toast, well partially.
    I should point out as well that the thread is titled "Toaster from Agros" and in fairness you had aggro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

davo10 wrote:
    This thread takes the biscuit.

Lets just stick to bread otherwise we'll descend into the old 'cake vs biscuit' debate

Advertisement