Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on moving to Dublin please!

Options
  • 24-05-2017 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi everyone,

My husband has got a new job in the IFSC, beginning in September, so I'm trying to get a feel for where we'd like to live and what our budget is likely to be, given the need to factor in things we don't pay for where we currently live, in the UK, like health insurance and bins.

In terms of location, we'll be renting initially and I think looking to spend no more than €3000 per month for at least three bedrooms. We're moving from the rural north of England, where our nearest neighbours are sheep, so it's going to be a bit of a shock suddenly being within a reasonable commute of a major city. We're hoping to ameliorate that to some extent by being near the coast, so I'm thinking we'll end up somewhere on the DART line. Some friends of my parents live in Greystones and I think that would probably be ideal but my husband is concerned about the length of commute and missing our baby's bath time etc. Can anyone think of anywhere with a similar sort of coastal village vibe but closer to the IFSC? We will be travelling to West Cork regularly so we're thinking that the South side might make more sense. I've looked at Bray, Dalkey, Sandymount, Killiney and Dun Laoghaire...do any of those make more sense than others? We'd like somewhere quiet, near the coast, within 40 minutes of the IFSC and preferably near a park for walks with our little boy. Somewhere not very urban would be good!

We're hoping to stopover on our way over to West Cork in the summer but it'd be good to be able to try and narrow things down in advance. Any non-coastal suggestions would also be welcome, especially if they've got good access either to a really nice park or to really good rural walks, and reasonably short commutes.

I'd also appreciate thoughts on what sort of costs we should factor in, over and above our living costs in the UK. How much are bins? Is there council tax?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭duvetdayss

Take a look at Glasthule, it's a gorgeous village just beyond Dun Laoghaire, Sandycove also. Best of luck with the move

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MaloryB

Great, will do. Thanks so much for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

MaloryB wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

My husband has got a new job in the IFSC, beginning in September, so I'm trying to get a feel for where we'd like to live and what our budget is likely to be, given the need to factor in things we don't pay for where we currently live, in the UK, like health insurance and bins.

In terms of location, we'll be renting initially and I think looking to spend no more than €3000 per month for at least three bedrooms. We're moving from the rural north of England, where our nearest neighbours are sheep, so it's going to be a bit of a shock suddenly being within a reasonable commute of a major city. We're hoping to ameliorate that to some extent by being near the coast, so I'm thinking we'll end up somewhere on the DART line. Some friends of my parents live in Greystones and I think that would probably be ideal but my husband is concerned about the length of commute and missing our baby's bath time etc. Can anyone think of anywhere with a similar sort of coastal village vibe but closer to the IFSC? We will be travelling to West Cork regularly so we're thinking that the South side might make more sense. I've looked at Bray, Dalkey, Sandymount, Killiney and Dun Laoghaire...do any of those make more sense than others? We'd like somewhere quiet, near the coast, within 40 minutes of the IFSC and preferably near a park for walks with our little boy. Somewhere not very urban would be good!

We're hoping to stopover on our way over to West Cork in the summer but it'd be good to be able to try and narrow things down in advance. Any non-coastal suggestions would also be welcome, especially if they've got good access either to a really nice park or to really good rural walks, and reasonably short commutes.

I'd also appreciate thoughts on what sort of costs we should factor in, over and above our living costs in the UK. How much are bins? Is there council tax?

Thanks in advance!

Trip to cork should not really be a factor in north/south Dublin location. It's about 30 mins on motorway from very north to very south of Dublin apart from rush hour traffic. West cork is a long Drive!

No council tax like UK. Car insurance expensive if no history in Ireland.

You have picked some lovely areas. Have a look at Clontarf and Howth. Fit your criteria absolutely perfectly and closer to IFSC than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 philderbeast

I am renting a flat in Sandycove and it's a great area right beside the dart, plenty of shops/pubs and a short walk to dalkey or dun laoghaire. Not too many 3 beds in and around that area though (Either small cottage style or mansions).
    Dun laoghaire is hit and miss. Some lovely areas, others not so much. Shankill village has some nice spots and is close to M50 and DART and plenty of suitable houses within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Any of the areas you mentioned are nice. I would also include Blackrock, Monkstown, Booterstown, Glenageary. All nice areas and all on or near coast.
    Parks and playgrounds have improved enormously in Dublin in recent years. You are now never too far from either. Not sure how long you intend staying in Ireland but if its medium term you may need to give some thought to schools. In some areas it can be hard to find places in primary school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

personally, I would look at anywhere within walking distance of Sandycove & Glasthule, Glenageary and Dalkey dart stations and you'll not only get a seaside vibe, but also be among some excellent pubs, restaurants and parks.

If you could imagine living in Devon, but being able to commute to London, then that is kind of what this area is like.

I've lived in Sandycove for ten years and haven't once regretted it. We have excellent schools on our doorstep and i can walk to about 8 pubs within ten minutes, none of which are bad. God knows how many restaurants we have close at hand, but again, I can't think of any that i would turn my nose up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MaloryB

Thanks for the heads up re car insurance, bmwguy, that's really helpful. I'll look at Clontarf, too. Time already got my eye on Howth, it looks so lovely! West Cork is currently a much longer drive involving the ferry, so hopefully it'll seem like a breeze!

Thanks Philerbeast and Fratton Fred for your input- Sandycove wasn't really on my radar, so it's much appreciated! I love the analogy, Fratton Fred, it sounds idyllic :-) Do you mind me asking whether the schools you mention are public or private? We need to work out which we'd like to go for, as I think we'll need to get saving if it's the latter!

Seaswimmer, really appreciate your advice, though it's panicked me a bit! My son is only 4 months old so thought I had a few years yet before thinking about school! What do you think we should be doing? Are you talking waiting lists or just scoping out what's available?

Thanks again all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

MaloryB wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up re car insurance, bmwguy, that's really helpful. I'll look at Clontarf, too. Time already got my eye on Howth, it looks so lovely! West Cork is currently a much longer drive involving the ferry, so hopefully it'll seem like a breeze!

Thanks Philerbeast and Fratton Fred for your input- Sandycove wasn't really on my radar, so it's much appreciated! I love the analogy, Fratton Fred, it sounds idyllic :-) Do you mind me asking whether the schools you mention are public or private? We need to work out which we'd like to go for, as I think we'll need to get saving if it's the latter!

Seaswimmer, really appreciate your advice, though it's panicked me a bit! My son is only 4 months old so thought I had a few years yet before thinking about school! What do you think we should be doing? Are you talking waiting lists or just scoping out what's available?

Thanks again all!

For primary schools, you have several state schools that are excellent and you can choose between Catholic, Anglican or non denominational. All of them are oversubscribed though, so apply early.

Secondary schools in the immediate area are private and the fees vary from around 4 to 6,000 per year, so a lot cheaper than private schools in England.

The Church of Ireland schools feed in to New Park, which is a Co Ed state school and is very very good, so that means those schools are particularly hard to get in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Would you get a 3 bed for that budget in any of the areas given to the OP..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

listermint wrote: »
    Would you get a 3 bed for that budget in any of the areas given to the OP..
    Yes here's an example

https://www.daft.ie/21739265

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Montiii

You wont get better than this http://www.daft.ie/21743283

Advertisement