Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray drift

Options
  • 25-05-2017 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

A local farmer was spraying and I think the spray has drifted into my garden and affected 2 snowy mespilus trees, 2 tree paeonies, leysesteria Formosa and honeysuckle.
    Other neighbours gardens have also been affected as have the hedges around the farmer's field and plants in the ditches across the road from the sprayed field. Honeysuckles seem to be particularly badly affected.
    Who do I report this to and how do I get in contact with them so it can be investigated ?
    What are my rights if damage is proved ?
    I have taken loads of photos and will take more if I need to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It would seem some plants there have been affected with something.

Have any plants been killed outright or is it just the "synged" effect as per the photo.

If no plants have been lost I'd bring it to the farmers attention and ask that he be more careful in the future. If plants have been killed off you should ask they be replaced.

I'd suggest calling up to his house some evening and having a chat with him about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

_Brian wrote: »
    It would seem some plants there have been affected with something.

Have any plants been killed outright or is it just the "synged" effect as per the photo.

If no plants have been lost I'd bring it to the farmers attention and ask that he be more careful in the future. If plants have been killed off you should ask they be replaced.

I'd suggest calling up to his house some evening and having a chat with him about it.

A bay laurel in a pot died lately but it didn't show the synged effect before it went.The snowy mespilus and honeysuckle and paeonies do look badly affected and I may not see the true effect of any losses until next year or even further down the line.
    I don't spray or use weedkillers in my garden and would be worried if any apples ,plums or other fruit would be contaminated. A boysenberry and a blackcurrant also seem to be on their way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd say talk to him sooner rather than later.
    Ask him to come and see the damage that has been caused. I think you should rightly expect to be compensated for any plant losses.

Farmers should have insurance that covers this sort of thing, I know we certainly do.

I would definitely start with a friendly conversation, then no matter what happens down the line you can always say you tried to settle it amicably first.

Advertisement