Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 18 Moena - Ortisei/St. Urlich, 137 km

Options
  • 25-05-2017 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭

Giro d'Italia 2017: Stage 18

Moena - Ortisei/St. Urlich, 137 km

The race opens with the cat 1 ascent of Passo Pordoi. This climb is 11.85km at 6.7% and a tough way to start the day. Its a relatively steady climb, good for those TT racers turned climbers.
    After a short descent, its the cat 2 climb of Passo Valparola. This is 12.9km at 6% and is relatively steady, but does kick up at the very top. A 14km descent leads into the next climb of the day.

Passo Gardena is 9.3km at 6.4%, but rarely drops below 7%. Once crested, we have a 23km descent before the next climb begins.

The cat 3 climb of Passo di Pinei Panidersattel is 4.25km at 6.2% and includes a steep middle section. A 15km descent follows before the last categorised climb of the day, the cat 1 ascent to Pontives. This climb is 9.3km at 6.8%, but its the last 3km of the climb that is really tough. With gradients constantly above 10%, this is a great point to launch an attack.
    The cat 1 climb crests with 4km remaining in the stage, nearly all uphill. The gradients are relatively easy, except a demanding 13% ramp.

This is the day for Quintana, if he has fully recovered from his crash. I think hell wait for the final climb, knowing that he can make big gaps in the last three kilometres. A win for Quintana and he moves into the pink jersey.

(couldnt attach pic of route !? confused.png )

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

profile-18.jpg

Sure its practically downhill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Only 6 domestiques remain for Dumoulin now as Sunweb decided yesterday that Phil Bauhaus should abandon the race (due to fatigue). I'd say some of the others must be fairly exhausted now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

greenspurs wrote: »

This is the day for Quintana, if he has fully recovered from his crash. I think hell wait for the final climb, knowing that he can make big gaps in the last three kilometres. A win for Quintana and he moves into the pink jersey.

(couldnt attach pic of route !? confused.png )

Quintana needs about 3 minutes to stand a chance, with the TT to come (2.5 mins lost in TT and 30 secs down already) I don't think he can make that in the last 3km to be honest. Think he needs to go from further out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Inquitus wrote: »
    Quintana needs about 3 minutes to stand a chance, with the TT to come (2.5 mins lost in TT and 30 secs down already) I don't think he can make that in the last 3km to be honest. Think he needs to go from further out.

I'm thinking the same, also I'm not sure any of the climbs are long enough for him to be at his most devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

But surely Quintana does not need or is not looking for three minutes today. The final climb tomorrow may actually suit him better but if Movistar and others keep the pressure on Sunweb and Dumoulin today. Any time taken back by Quintana today is a bonus and not an absolute necessity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Emmm when was Quintana at his most devastating ???

He attacked on longish climbs at 2013 Tour ...but he was always reeled in by SKY

He attacked on the descent of the Stelvio when raced neutralised on 2014 Giro

He attacked on the very last mountain stage at 2015 Tour when Froome somewhat cooked and it was too late

He hung in there on 2016 Tour and won the 2016 Vuelta when Contador attacked Froome

So I find it hard to see when he was at his most devastating ?
    The man can climb ...He is a pure Colombian climber of about 50+kg ....
    But devastating he is not ....

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

He wasn't that devastating on two of the longest climbs in Europe the other day. Beginning to think Quintana isn't all that. Having said that I might be eating my words this evening ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah, if Dumoulin can stay sheltered until the last climb, he will repeat his effort from before and try and TT the final climb at his own pace to minimise the losses. Quintana won't pull out enough time if he waits.

Dumoulin may have lost domestiques, but Trek and FDJ might be doing them a few favours if they chase down any Quintana/Nibali attacks.

I hope there are fireworks on this stage, without resorting to the (in my view) unpleasant scenes of attacking the jersey at the wrong time. I'd like to see an aggressive race on the early climbs. I think they will need to be aggressive anyway to make Dumoulin burn some team mates on the first climb.

Just saw the above posts...to me, Quintana is one of the most boring GC men that I can remember...worse than Andy Schleck!Zero personality on the bike. I'm rooting for Tom.

cunavalos wrote: »
    But surely Quintana does not need or is not looking for three minutes today. The final climb tomorrow may actually suit him better but if Movistar and others keep the pressure on Sunweb and Dumoulin today. Any time taken back by Quintana today is a bonus and not an absolute necessity.

Today is the last chance to really blow the race apart, the remaining Mountain stages will all be down to the last climb you'd think, the best way to ensure victory would be today, leaving it a bit to chance otherwise, especially with Tom's form on single mountain Blockhaus.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

To me Nibali is the guy that will take risks and he now looks bang on form. He's a pure racer and has a great feel for the rhythm of GTs. Movistar are the strongest team no doubt but sooo conservative.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Bit lumpy today, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I think Quintana will have to go today, grab sometime back, and maybe try again on Stage 20 , on the Climb to Monte Grappa.
    I agree, he is one of the most 'boring' GC contenders, you always expect him to launch a mountain attack ( ala Contador in his prime) but never seems to... Half hearted (?) attempts, or maybe the opposition are better and can reel him in better than in Contadors day ?

Anyway, Quintana has a stronger team , and they could/will put Sunweb under big stress and isolate Dumpoulin ... Can he produce another big day ?

ALLEZ TOM !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Bit lumpy today, isn't it?
    It's a day for San Bennett!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Boscoirl wrote: »
    It's a day for San Bennett!

Say that with a french accent, and it sounds like a French Alpine climb !! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Rode this neck of the woods in the Dolomites Maratona in 2013. An incredibly beautiful place to cycle.

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Emmm when was Quintana at his most devastating ???

He attacked on longish climbs at 2013 Tour ...but he was always reeled in by SKY

He attacked on the descent of the Stelvio when raced neutralised on 2014 Giro

He attacked on the very last mountain stage at 2015 Tour when Froome somewhat cooked and it was too late

He hung in there on 2016 Tour and won the 2016 Vuelta when Contador attacked Froome

So I find it hard to see when he was at his most devastating ?
    The man can climb ...He is a pure Colombian climber of about 50+kg ....
    But devastating he is not ....

lol someone doesn't like the word devastating , would it suit you more if I said at his best?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Dcully wrote: »
    lol someone doesn't like the word devastating , would it suit you more if I said at his best?

it wasn't an attack on you

Just think Quintana is not an exciting rider to watch

Fair enough, i actually agree to a point,hes not explosive and really depends on long steep climbs to make the most of his light frame and hoping others cant live with his tempo, contador nibali and valverde id put in the exciting climbers category, even dan martin maybe.

Back on topic id love to see duignan let loose today, hes been climbing great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Just saw the above posts...to me, Quintana is one of the most boring GC men that I can remember...worse than Andy Schleck!Zero personality on the bike. I'm rooting for Tom.

Oof! That's harsh! That Schleck lad was a curse. He'd be in a good position to launch a decisive attack, he take a look over his shoulder, and what would he do? Take another look over his shoulder and decide not to launch an attack. Over and over and over. Just swinging his head around when he should have been off up the road.

To be fair, Quintana's personality on the bike is a little muted (maybe a lot muted!), but I kind of like his stone faced impassivity. Not easy trying to gauge what kind of condition he's in. By contrast, Froome's theatrics are just irritating at this stage.

I too am hoping Dumoulin can hang in there though at this stage.

I'd quite like to see Landa do it today, can't see it happen though.

Edit: Actually who's that with Landa in the break, Deignan or Rosa? I've been in and out here so didn't hear it mentioned or get a good look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Funny, as I recall Schleck to be quite an attacking rider. Didn't he win a great mountain stage after attacking the Maillot Jaune from way out before?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Inquitus wrote: »

The last 3km aren't exactly up in a rarified atmosphere either, Tom could be more comfortable on that climb with a decent lung-ful of oxygen!

Also agree with a previous poster re Nibali, I think he's the GC danger today. Quintana is obviously an excellent climber but for me, he's just not an excellent racer in the Contador/Nibali mode.

Dumoulin still has Ten-Dam fortunately, looks like they'll both get safely over this one, just leaves the 2 climbs to go, as noted above the final one is not at much altitude unlike the first 3.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A cooker/oven without the need of an overhead extractor fan! sign me up Bora

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Weepsie wrote: »
    A cooker/oven without the need of an overhead extractor fan! sign me up Bora

I love dis cook-ing rev-o-lution :D

418277.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Quintanna has gone from having 5 of a support team to 1 in the space of a handful of KM. Bahrain looking strong. TD a lone soilder

NQ has had a go, 54 to go

Quintana takes off.

Niabili in pursuit

• Advertisement

Niabili caught Quintan

Advertisement