Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between Sony A5000 and A6500?

• 25-05-2017 9:28am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

I want to upgrade my camera and lens this summer. I've been using Sony A5000 with the 18-55 lens and a 55-210. It's grand but I really hate that I can't use external flash, and I'd like better low (ish) light hand-held photos and more bokeh for photographing my new nephews.

I did a comparison of the A5000 and A6500 here: https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=sony_a5000&products=sony_a6500

There doesn't seem to be too many differences. The 6500 can't seem to do timelapses,and I like those. But I can plug in a microphone and flash which I also like. The sensor is slightly different.

I like Sony, and I like the small size of these cameras. Part of me thinks I should bite the bullet and go with a full frame, as I'll probably get one of those eventually.

Mostly my photography is travel or my nephews! So maybe full frame for family shots and then keep small A5000 for travel? Other than the flash thing it's an amazing camera for its size.

My main question here is is it worth forking out for the A6500 if it's only marginally better than my A5000? The video is probably better but I doubt my laptop could edit in very high res anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

It really depends on what you want out of a camera. On paper, the A6500 is a lot more than marginally better than the A5000, but the upgrades may not be important enough to you to warrant a purchase.
    • The A6500 will not give you better bokeh. It has the same type of sensor (APS-C) that the A5000 has. It does have a slightly higher resolution though.
    • The A6500 can do timelapse. You just have to buy the app from the playmemories store. Costs about €10. I'm not sure if you can install apps on the A5000.
    • The A6500 has in-body 5-Axis image stabilisation.
    • The A6500 has a tonne of video options (including log profiles) and can shoot 4k.
    • The A6500 can shoot at 11fps continuous with no viewfinder blackout and has a very impressive AF system. This includes continuous eye tracking for portraits of your nephews.
    • The A6500 has a higher-resolution screen with touch functionality. It also has a high-resolution EVF.

From what you've said here, it doesn't sound to me like you really need a full frame. Maybe just get a decent fast prime for more bokeh, and if any of the above A6500 features are important to you, maybe upgrade the camera as well if you can afford it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks for the detailed reply. The image stabilisation sounds good, I'd forgotten about that. Video is the only thing that really doesn't bother me. I made videos on the A5000 and there's no way I'll need better quality than that.
    The 11fps sounds good.

Really I just want better, sharper, photos. Kids run a lot so something fast. I do a lot of events for family; Communions and birthday parties. So I'd really just like something that can take good photos for those events and have them printed and blown up. I want something I can bring to my local camera club when I join and learn about the camera, so nothing too basic.

I'd say I will upgrade the body and then look at lenses. I've seen a lot of full frame lenses recommended for the A6500, even though it's not. I presume that doesn't make a difference?
    Can anyone explain in simple terms the difference between a $1000 lens and a $300 when they're the same

Like this 55mm fs1.8 https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SEL55F18Z-Sonnar-55mm-Alpha/dp/B00FSB799Q/?tag=6890-20&th=1
    And this https://www.amazon.com/Sony-50mm-Mid-Range-Mount-Cameras/dp/B005NX7HY6/?tag=6890-20

Is it more bokeh? Sharper image? A combination of things?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

The A6500 is probably one of, if not the best camera on the market for tracking things like kids running around. The only thing I can think of that's better right now is the new Sony A9, but that costs upwards of €5k.

All of the Sony full frame (FE) lenses will work fine on an A6500. You just have to remember that with a crop sensor camera, you are not getting the entire field of view for the lens. So a 50mm lens has a field of view similar to that of 85mm on full frame. It is still a 50mm lens in how it performs in terms of compression/distortion. I wouldn't worry too much about that though. It doesn't amount to a whole lot in reality.

My advise would be to always buy full frame lenses, just in case you do decide to upgrade at some point in the future.

The difference between expensive vs cheaper lenses is usually down to build quality, the quality of the glass, number and grouping of lens elements, shape of the aperture blades and AF/MF performance. This can result in sharper images and creamier, more pleasing bokeh depending on the lens.

I actually own the Zeiss lens you linked to above. I use it in a professional capacity on a Sony A7RII. It's a gorgeous lens. Zeiss lenses are renowned for their 3d like pop. It's hard to explain exactly what that means but it's essentially the sharpness of the in-focus areas vs the bokeh quality of the out of focus areas and the gradation of the focus fall off between the two. It's part of why Zeiss lenses are so coveted and expensive.

On a side note. As I said, I shoot professionally, and I would have no reservations about using the A6500 on a job. In fact, I really want one now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thank you! I really want one now too. Time to crack open the piggy bank.

Next question is whether to buy on that eglobal.eu website or play it safe and nip to the camera shop....

Advertisement