Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disputing a ban

Options
  • 25-05-2017 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

I got banned because I had said " There needed to be a final solution " referencing a Katie Hopkins tweet about the terrorist bombings. I did not know this was about ethnic cleansing or was anything to do with Hitler. I meant we need to finally come to a solution to stop any further deaths.
    The poster wonderfullife had called me a racist twice & I guess I had let it wind me up. I lived in London for 19years & have friends of different race/religion. There are a faction of posters who want to shut down discussion on boards & the MODs seem to fall for it everytime. Maybe I should report every post when someone calls me a racist/bigot but I'm not a cry baby. Just because someone has concerns about immigration/Muslims or anything else doesn't give these people the right to cry racist/bigot. They get away with calling people names but when they see a post they think means something they get unto the MODs so they get a ban. I would like a healthy discussion but again there are certain members trying to shut the discussion down. I never appealed my other bans because they were short but I feel this time I am being unfairly treated. Sorry for the long rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi,

As per the defined process, the first step is to contact the mod who issued the ban and attempt to resolve it with them directly. Have you attempted to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

dudara wrote: »
    Hi,

As per the defined process, the first step is to contact the mod who issued the ban and attempt to resolve it with them directly. Have you attempted to do that?

Yes I have but the MOD wasn't willing to listen

Please note that only the OP, CMods and Admins can post in a DRP thread. Posts from anyone else will be removed.

@Help!!! - is this the ban that you received yesterday at approx 8pm? If so, please give the mod some time to respond

dudara wrote: »
    Please note that only the OP, CMods and Admins can post in a DRP thread. Posts from anyone else will be removed.

@Help!!! - is this the ban that you received yesterday at approx 8pm? If so, please give the mod some time to respond

Yes they did respond & I explained the situation but they said they wouldn't change their mind, that I could appeal it

OK - understood. Thanks very much for clarifying.

I'll ask one of the CMods to look into your dispute.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hi
    Please either pm me the exchange you had with the mod or else post it here.

Here you go

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Hi
    Please either pm me the exchange you had with the mod or else post it here.
    Peregrine wrote:
    Help!!!! wrote:
    Peregrine wrote:
    Help!!!! wrote:
    Peregrine wrote:
    Dear Help!!!!,

You have been banned from After Hours for one week for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

Peregrine

Moderator Note

post103612682

Calling for ethnic cleansing of Muslims. Don't post in this thread again.

Your post:
    Help!!!! wrote: »
    Where was your outrage over Katie Hopkins tweeting there needs to be a "final solution"?

Very easy to have a go at people who don't believe Islam is at fault and who believe it's twisted people using twisted rationale loosely based on religion.

There needs to be a final solution. Do you like seeing little girls being killed??
    Many of the Muslims who are in the west & are coming to the west dont want to live by western ways but for people like you its easier to go around calling people racists while calling for more " refugees " to be let in to Europe

Also I never called for ethnic cleansing what I meant as a final solution was a final solution that this sort of thing stops happening. Not killing all Muslims. Jeez you mods really get played by some people on boards
    The post you were quoting was referencing Katie Hopkins tweet and Hitler's final solution.

Do you know what, you can appeal this in Dispute Resolution. I'm not changing my mind.

I didnt know it had anything to do with Hitler....have you banned the other poster for calling me a racist?
    You've made no effort to show me the post or to report it.

I'm logging off for the night. I've already told you that you can appeal the ban. If there's a post you have an issue with, PM another AH mod.

As for banning, probably not. Here's your history in AH this year:
    Yellow card
    Red card
    One day ban
    One week ban

Here's his history this year:

Certainly won't be banning anyone as a first offence for something like that, no.

Anyone looking into this?

Hi Help!!!

Please be patient, it's been a day since you shared the PMs and it also is the weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I spent a couple of hours going through the thread last night and am currently discussing with the mods. Please be patient as it is the weekend and I have other commitments to attend to.

• Advertisement

Hi Help!!!!

I have been thinking about this for the last couple of days and to be honest I have changed my mind on numerous occasions as to whether to uphold this ban or reverse it.
    Your post was extremely problematic given your choice of words and on that basis I would have no doubt that a ban was warranted.

Your defence is, though, that you did not know what you were saying.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone could have any doubt that using the term 'final solution' does not mean an advocation of the extermination of the group to whom the comment is aimed. On that basis I have had to consider whether it is actually possible that someone could be so unaware as to connotions of what they are writing. I have read through your posts on AH and other forums and you tend to in the main post about issues relating to muslims. Generally you have stayed on the right side of the hate speech line (although in some posts you have advocated the imprisonment of innocent people which is again problematic).
    What I need to decide is whether your opinions are based on education and knowledge or otherwise. If they are based on education and knowledge then I would have no doubt that you intended to call for the extermination of muslims. If otherwise then I could possibly concede that you may not be entirely aware of what they are writing about.

My job here is to advocate for the poster and give a second opinion to what the mods have concluded. After reading your posts (and I read hundreds of them) I have decided to give you the benefit of the doubt and accept you were not aware of what you were saying as you have claimed in your post above.
    I am, however, not going to completely disregard this ban. AH works on an incremental scale of actions against posters. You have received various action of increasing severity over the last few months with your most recent ban being for one week. I am willing to lift your 1 week ban at this point but on the understanding that you will go straight to a 1 month ban the next time you break the rules in AH where it has anything to do with hate speech.

As a word of advice you have points that you want to make and generally you make them in a civil fashion but you need to be more aware of what you are typing in future. If you don't know yourself what you are advocating then you cannot expect others to and you are going to run into alot of problems here and elsewhere in the future.

If you are ok to proceed based on the above then I am willing to lift your ban in this case. Please advise if you are in agreement or whether you want to go further in this appeal.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Hi Help!!!!

I have been thinking about this for the last couple of days and to be honest I have changed my mind on numerous occasions as to whether to uphold this ban or reverse it.
    Your post was extremely problematic given your choice of words and on that basis I would have no doubt that a ban was warranted.

Your defence is, though, that you did not know what you were saying.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone could have any doubt that using the term 'final solution' does not mean an advocation of the extermination of the group to whom the comment is aimed. On that basis I have had to consider whether it is actually possible that someone could be so unaware as to connotions of what they are writing. I have read through your posts on AH and other forums and you tend to in the main post about issues relating to muslims. Generally you have stayed on the right side of the hate speech line (although in some posts you have advocated the imprisonment of innocent people which is again problematic).
    What I need to decide is whether your opinions are based on education and knowledge or otherwise. If they are based on education and knowledge then I would have no doubt that you intended to call for the extermination of muslims. If otherwise then I could possibly concede that you may not be entirely aware of what they are writing about.

My job here is to advocate for the poster and give a second opinion to what the mods have concluded. After reading your posts (and I read hundreds of them) I have decided to give you the benefit of the doubt and accept you were not aware of what you were saying as you have claimed in your post above.
    I am, however, not going to completely disregard this ban. AH works on an incremental scale of actions against posters. You have received various action of increasing severity over the last few months with your most recent ban being for one week. I am willing to lift your 1 week ban at this point but on the understanding that you will go straight to a 1 month ban the next time you break the rules in AH where it has anything to do with hate speech.

As a word of advice you have points that you want to make and generally you make them in a civil fashion but you need to be more aware of what you are typing in future. If you don't know yourself what you are advocating then you cannot expect others to and you are going to run into alot of problems here and elsewhere in the future.

If you are ok to proceed based on the above then I am willing to lift your ban in this case. Please advise if you are in agreement or whether you want to go further in this appeal.

OK thank you for being understanding, my great,grandfather fought for the British army against the Nazi's so this is the reason I didn't accept the ban.
    As for the other bans I couldn't be bothered disputing them but I think I could have had success with them as well. I dont know if you have noticed that there are a faction of people trying to stop discussions by labeling people racists/bigots/nazis. I don't try to upset people, I only say what I have experienced or what I have sources from. I'm not making up stories or telling lies. Thanks again

Admin - please mark as resolved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement