Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM reduced clocks?

Options
  • 25-05-2017 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I was playing around with pcpartpicker yesterday and I put my current build into it and it showed me a potential fault:

The RAM is G.Skills x-trident 2400, and the website tells me it needs 1.7volts which is above the voltage that my other parts (i-7 4790k and UD5H-Z97) can operate at.

It says that the RAM would operate at a reduced clock speed to compensate....

How exactly would I go about checking the effective clock speed?

Pissed that i missed this during my initial build...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'd be suprised if you can't feed 1.7v into the RAM. I wouldn't do it personally as 1.7V is magenta in the BIOS and I don't do magenta :pac:

I'd put 1.65v into it, set it at 2400 and do some tests. Then over clock it or tighten the timings.

You can check the effective clocks etc. in the BIOS or use CPUID (CPU-Z). However if the manufacturer says 1.7v no reason not to run it at 1.7 I suppose.

Edit: I think it's rounding up 1.65 it looks like from some quick googling which is pretty standards for OC'd DDR3

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TBH every group test I've seen for DDR3 shows neglibile performance gains for anything past DDR3-1866.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

koki has a point theres comparisons on youtube, and basically hitting 2ghz you overpay since difference is so small thats its barely noticeable,quantity over speed is more effective.

that said i doubt there would be any issues ram speeds are tied to cpu,if cpu supports them speeds and MB can overclock theres no reason you couldnt run them on advertised speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Running RAM at the a slower speed and tighter timings requires 'faster' RAM. All these Mhz ratings are generally is an indication of the quality of the RAM. If you want to run it at 1866Mhz, reduce the voltage and tighten the timings, or don't - there's very little difference. However, AFAIK all RAM is essentially OC's with XMP - so make sure it's not defaulted to 1333 or something daft, that might very well make a difference in some games.

Advertisement