Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loreto Primary School V Educate Together

Options
  • 25-05-2017 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

We are lucky to have been offered a place for my 4 year old daughter at a Loreto Dalkey primary school and also at an Bray Educate Together school and now have to decide which one to choose. Both have appealing aspects to them. Does anyone have any experience of either or both of them which could help us decide? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Tomred1970 wrote: »
    Hi,

We are lucky to have been offered a place for my 4 year old daughter at a Loreto primary school and also at an Educate Together school and now have to decide which one to choose. Both have appealing aspects to them. Does anyone have any experience of either or both of them which could help us decide? Thanks!

Might help to specify which schools in particular you are talking about.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on where you live and if you are religious .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tomred1970

Thanks for your reply. We're not really religious so that's not an issue. We currently live in Dalkey but we'll be probably moving to the Bray area so it's just to consider is it worth the commute to Loreto in Dalkey each day. If it was that much better, there than the answer is yes but if Educate Together in Bray has positive feedback and is just as good a school, than it'd be easier to place her there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tomred1970

Thank you for the links byhookorbycrook, I'll will read all that info thoroughly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

When did offers go out? Have you been invited for open days yet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Offers went out in Feb in schools around here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Open days aren't common here, it seems more a UK thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Have you considered which choice would be best as your child moves into secondary school where your options might be limited depending on what you pick now?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

Open days aren't common here, it seems more a UK thing.

My child is starting in an ET school this September and we attended the open day last month.

There's also a catholic primary nearby and they also had an open day last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I don't know anything about these two specific schools, but in general, such schools would be at opposite ends of the spectrum. A Loreto catholic school will be a very traditional environment, with religion embedded in all aspects of the curriculum. First communions and confirmations will be major events in their respective years. An Educate Together will be a non-traditional environment, with all religions covered in the curriculum, and religious events from a wide range of faiths celebrated. It would probably have a more 'cosmopolitan' range of students and families attending, with many coming from non-Irish families.

It would usually be a fairly clear choice, and not a difficult decision - depending on your personal preferences.

I don't know anything about these two specific schools, but in general, such schools would be at opposite ends of the spectrum. A Loreto catholic school will be a very traditional environment, with religion embedded in all aspects of the curriculum. First communions and confirmations will be major events in their respective years. An Educate Together will be a non-traditional environment, with all religions covered in the curriculum, and religious events from a wide range of faiths celebrated. It would probably have a more 'cosmopolitan' range of students and families attending, with many coming from non-Irish families.

It would usually be a fairly clear choice, and not a difficult decision - depending on your personal preferences.
    You can't possibly know the points I have highlighted above apply to these schools.

The WSE link above re the Loreto has this to say:
    Pupils in Loreto Primary School experience being educated in an inclusive environment and all pupils are provided with access to the full range of school activities.Language support for pupils for whom English is an additional language is provided on a withdrawal basis.

Ruby31 wrote: »
    My child is starting in an ET school this September and we attended the open day last month.

There's also a catholic primary nearby and they also had an open day last month.

was it after the offers were made though?
    Our school has one for the kids starting in Sept.

You can't possibly know the points I have highlighted above apply to these schools.
    You're right, I don't know - but on the balance of probabilities, this is how Loreto schools vs ET schools would generally work out that way.

Again, you can't generalize, there are bad ET schools in the same way that there are bad Catholic schools.

Again, you can't generalize, there are bad ET schools in the same way that there are bad Catholic schools.

Indeed - fully agree - good and bad in both. I suppose I wasn't referring to the quality, just the general approach.

Advertisement