Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to ride a motorcycle on a B licence?

• 25-05-2017 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

I've been looking to learn to ride a bike for years now and am finally in a financial position to do so.

I've been driving on a B category full license for nearly 8 years now and want to learn as soon as I can.

I've had a read of how to add a category here: https://www.ndls.ie/how-to-apply.html#add-or-remove-a-category but its somewhat confusing and I need some clarification.

- Do I need to retake my theory test for the relevant A category in order to do the IBT?

- Must you purchase your own motorcycle to participate in IBT?

Basically I'm just trying to understand the ordering of events that need to happen so I can get from where I am (fully licensed car driver) to where I want to be (fully licensed bike driver)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From learning to drive forum.
    You will find people here that know their stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

OVERTONE69 wrote: »
    - Do I need to retake my theory test for the relevant A category in order to do the IBT?

- Must you purchase your own motorcycle to participate in IBT?

Having a full car license makes no difference.

Theory test, learner permit, IBT, 6 month practice and then full test.

The bike theory test has a number of bike specific questions.

Usually you do your IBT on a school bike.

If you are over 24, you can go for a category A license, which covers all bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

Paulw wrote: »
    Having a full car license makes no difference.

Theory test, learner permit, IBT, 6 month practice and then full test.

The bike theory test has a number of bike specific questions.

Usually you do your IBT on a school bike.

If you are over 24, you can go for a category A license, which covers all bikes.

Couldn't have put it more clearly and simply myself.....ðŸ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭OVERTONE69

Fantastic guys, thats everything I need :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The only way you wouldn't have to retake the theory test is in you originally took a theory test for your car learner permits between 2001 and 2006 as that theory test covered cars and bikes. If you took the theory test after 2006 then you will have to take the theory test in category AM as the more recent theory test covered the car only.

• Advertisement
Advertisement