Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Racing Scene - advice appreciated!!

Options
  • 25-05-2017 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

If someone could give me some advice here I'd really appreciate it. I've been cycling consistently for the last number of years, doing sportives and club rides etc etc. However, I'd like to test myself a little more so I'm wondering how I go about this in Cork.

I've never raced in any format before but would like to begin. Does anyone have any advice regarding my next move -- events / locations around Cork??

Many thanks in advance :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

Are you in a club?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TopTube

I had been in a club up the country when I was away working, however I've just returned to cork in the last number of months - cycling with some friends and colleagues predominantly - currently getting ready for Wicklow 200.

When I have W200 done I just feel like I will need a fresh challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Join a club first. There's a good few in Cork. Aim to ride comfortably with their fastest group.
    You could also try the various club leagues. You just rock up, pay a small token amount, and away you go. There used to be a great one in Blarney, but I think it's not running this year. Hennessey Cycles have a league in Fermoy.

https://www.facebook.com/Hennessy-Cycles-Fermoy-422631594763198/

You can contact them for more details.
    A club league is a great intro to racing, and a lot tougher IMO.

Thanks outfox! Great advice.

That seems to be my issue, I'm not aware of any club leagues.... if they are even in existence in Cork right now!?

Join a club....at the moment the only league running in cork is in fermoy on tuesday evenings, great session! There is also a tt run on tuesdays in east cork near little island...

Joining a club and cycling with the clubs strong riders could be the challenge you need!!

Deronde van cork are holding a road race in minane bridge in early july and blarney are holding one also at the end of july. They both are on sundays!! Not sure there is any in cork beforehand.

What part of cork are you based? Social media will put you in the right direction...

• Advertisement

Thanks Raven!

Those two races in July sound like the perfect intro! I'm acutely aware that I'll be blown to pieces, but I want to know exactly where I'm at in my progress.

Does anyone have any links / information regarding those two races in July? I can't seem to find anything online about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Usually the best way to get info on races is to monitor the hosting club's FB page a couple of weeks before.
    You can also click on each event to get contact details:

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/events/events-calendar/road-events

I'd highly recommend a club league first rather than an open race, just for safety reasons.

Check derondes facebook page....where are you based in cork?

Thanks folks. I'm based in Glasheen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

If you've never raced before it's probably best if you travel to Fermoy for a few races first. It's a loop circuit so even if you get dropped you can join in again next lap. It's only about 40km so will soon build up your endurance before going racing which will be easily double that distance in a4. You will learn essential road and bike handling skills there which you will need before jumping into a full gas race. Stay out of trouble for the first few races and watch what others are doing.
    It's a handicapped race so if the faster bunch catch up you can try and hold their wheels and see how your legs are. Always a great test.
    Probably best stay out of the sprint the first night, that's a whole different skill set.
    I could be way off the mark but if your not regularly cycling fast group rides the chances are if you jump into an a4 race you could end up spat out the back very quickly and spend the day solo

Joining a club is not essential but it will make all the difference, there are plenty in cork which have sportive and race focus, this will put you on a steep learning curve and get you gunning for A3 promotion and beyond. Clubs will have race training spins so you will get the skills and fitness much faster than moving to racing by yourself.
    But again, plenty do it by themselves....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

De Ronde van Cork cycling club are hosting a race in Minane Bridge on July 2.

Lots of other threads here about starting racing, but an A4 race will be around 60-70k in distance and are 35+kph average speed. Also, unlike sportives, good handling, road position and being able to respond to surges in pace are key. It can be a big shock to first timers! To echo previous comments, the league is a good intro. But really you should consider joining a club if you are interested in developing your cycling.

I am a member of De Ronde van Cork, if you are interested in joining our club, then go along to our FB page and send a message and someone will get back to you. We have various groups out over the weekend and have a very active racing group. Of course, there are other cycling clubs, go to http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/membership/clubs/club-locator

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Don't join DeRonde unless you want to listen to endless stories of how "I was all set to win until I was brought down by another rider/a mechanical/injury/headwind/cramp cost me", like getting lost on club runs and love eating cake. Oh and getting your ass kicked by ladies on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

If you've never raced before it's probably best if you travel to Fermoy for a few races first. It's a loop circuit so even if you get dropped you can join in again next lap. It's only about 40km so will soon build up your endurance before going racing which will be easily double that distance in a4. You will learn essential road and bike handling skills there which you will need before jumping into a full gas race. Stay out of trouble for the first few races and watch what others are doing.
    It's a handicapped race so if the faster bunch catch up you can try and hold their wheels and see how your legs are. Always a great test.
    Probably best stay out of the sprint the first night, that's a whole different skill set.
    I could be way off the mark but if your not regularly cycling fast group rides the chances are if you jump into an a4 race you could end up spat out the back very quickly and spend the day solo

Joining a club is not essential but it will make all the difference, there are plenty in cork which have sportive and race focus, this will put you on a steep learning curve and get you gunning for A3 promotion and beyond. Clubs will have race training spins so you will get the skills and fitness much faster than moving to racing by yourself.
    But again, plenty do it by themselves....

This is good advice.
    Minnane Bridge is hilly and hard so might be a good place to start if you have power but lack race speed and bunch craft.
    Evening league races are harder than sunday open races - faster.
    De Ronde are a good outift. Like any club, you take bits of it and leave others.
    You'll need a racing license (like finding out about events, that mightn't be easy)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Try out a league race, before you splash out on a licence, it's harder but it will give you a gauge on your fitness. And maybe prepare properly for 2018. If you can hang in that's good enough for A4. It's great training,fitness wise and riding in a bunch plus safer with smaller numbers and can be more enjoyable as people are more friendly compared to the 'seriousness of a Sunday race ' sometimes.

As far as i know, you need a race licence for ecening leagues too....they require your number for sign on!!

Advertisement