Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cadetship competition 2017

• 25-05-2017 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11

Hello,

Couple of quick questions for people who've gone through the competition in recent years.

Why does the fitness test/group assessment require an overnight stay? is it because the fitness test is done one day and the group assessment done the following day?

I've read from a few places that there is a second supervised psychometric test on the day but any emails i've gotten from the recruitment office havent mentioned it so maybe its not done anymore? i tried contacting them about this but no reply.

Last question! if you manage to get through to the next stage, does anyone know roughly the time between them? as in will the interview be as quick as 2 weeks after the fitness test or more likely several weeks?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Oruam

I've never gone through the competition before, so I don't know neither why the overnight stay nor the time between the stages.

But I've passed the online test and in the invitation to stage 2 e-mail they say that there will be: Fitness Test, Realistic Job Preview, Group Assessments and Psychometric Testing.
    So I deduce that candidates are asked to take the test again, supervised.

However, I have to withdraw from the competition. Does anyone know whether I should tell the Recruitment office or not reporting at the given date is enough? Haven't found this info anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Oruam wrote: »
    I've never gone through the competition before, so I don't know neither why the overnight stay nor the time between the stages.

But I've passed the online test and in the invitation to stage 2 e-mail they say that there will be: Fitness Test, Realistic Job Preview, Group Assessments and Psychometric Testing.
    So I deduce that candidates are asked to take the test again, supervised.

However, I have to withdraw from the competition. Does anyone know whether I should tell the Recruitment office or not reporting at the given date is enough? Haven't found this info anywhere

If you don't turn up you'll simply be removed from the competition. However, I'm sure an email wouldn't go amiss either. Always nice to tell people these things.

I agree. I just didn't know if there was a formal withdrawal procedure.

Anyway, it's a pity that I can't try it, especially because, with the new rules (the next year the upper age limit should be 27, and I'll be 27 before September) this is the only time I can compete.

Best of luck to you, if you're competing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Got the email for stage 2 there, check your email if you haven't gotten it already

BadBannana wrote: »
    Got the email for stage 2 there, check your email if you haven't gotten it already

I've got it, but I'm abroad and can't come to Ireland, so I won't be able to take part to it.

Btw, does anyone have an idea of how many could have been invited to stage 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 Trout27

Ah yes got the email today too. im in the 27th. Oruam i've absolutely no idea of numbers someone on here might though.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pat_custard

Hey lads,
    yea just got an email the other day about the stage two I'm scheduled in for Wednesday the 21st so pretty excited. A little anxious about the grop assessment because I don't really know what to expect if anybody has done this stage before and would like to shed some light on what to expect in the group assessment that'd be great! The rest of the day I'm not too worried about really looking forward to the job preview from current cadets. Does anybody know does the overnight serve any purpose? as in the email says we will be leaving at around 9:30 the next morning which means it looks like we'll just be staying there for the sake of it? Maybe to see if we like the idea of spending time away from home.
    BTW what has everybody applied to? I went for army line and army engineering

i read smewhere, possibly on this site, that the group assessment is done in small groups of 6-8. You're given a sheet with details of a kind of military scenario that needs to be discussed and figured out among the group within a given timeframe. There's no one correct answer to it, they're more looking at how you interact with the group.
    Don't know what the story is with the overnight stay.
    i also read about the fitness test that someone who barely scrapes through and does the run in just under 11.30 and the minimum 20 push ups/sit ups will be given the same result as someone busting themselves doing a 9.30 run and 60 push ups/sit ups, as its a pass/fail test. No extra marks given.

I'm not saying this is entirely accurate now since i only read this info off forums and the posts might have been a few years old. hopefully somebody can verify it for us.

Trout27 wrote: »
    i read smewhere, possibly on this site, that the group assessment is done in small groups of 6-8. You're given a sheet with details of a kind of military scenario that needs to be discussed and figured out among the group within a given timeframe. There's no one correct answer to it, they're more looking at how you interact with the group.
    Don't know what the story is with the overnight stay.
    i also read about the fitness test that someone who barely scrapes through and does the run in just under 11.30 and the minimum 20 push ups/sit ups will be given the same result as someone busting themselves doing a 9.30 run and 60 push ups/sit ups, as its a pass/fail test. No extra marks given.

I'm not saying this is entirely accurate now since i only read this info off forums and the posts might have been a few years old. hopefully somebody can verify it for us.

You're right about the pass/fail in the fitness test

so are you saying im wrong about the group assessment?! i could very well be by the way.

• Advertisement

Hey Pat_custard good luck tomorrow. let us know what you thought of it all.

Trout27 wrote: »
    so are you saying im wrong about the group assessment?! i could very well be by the way.

No you were right, it's all in the manual they sent out to us

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Soolander

Have the Stage 2 coming up next week. When doing the aptitude tests a few weeks ago it said in the email I could use a calculator for the maths bit if need be. I did come in handy and fortunately I made it through. Does anyone know if candidates will be allowed to use a calculator during the supervised tests? I don't want to be that guy but it was handy to have. Cheers.

Soolander wrote: »
    Have the Stage 2 coming up next week. When doing the aptitude tests a few weeks ago it said in the email I could use a calculator for the maths bit if need be. I did come in handy and fortunately I made it through. Does anyone know if candidates will be allowed to use a calculator during the supervised tests? I don't want to be that guy but it was handy to have. Cheers.

I'm doing it tomorrow, I'll tell you if lads were allowed to use them

Appreciate it mate cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MeganeMan

Hi lads, Army Line applicant here.
    I've got my visit this Tuesday, and there are just a few things that are confusing me a bit; for the push ups and sit ups, do we have to do them both within the same minute, or do we get a minute for each set? The wording is different in almost every place I look :P

Also, this is probably reserved for the medical, but is it held against me if I have to wear glasses? I know I meet the corrected vision requirements with them on, but I was just wondering if the army gives preferences to lads who don't need them (doesn't help that I've never seen an officer with specs before!).

Finally, does anybody who's already been mind giving an estimate of how big the groups are each day?

Hopefully I'll get to meet some of ye on the other side ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 leatherjacket

MeganeMan wrote: »
    Hi lads, Army Line applicant here.
    I've got my visit this Tuesday, and there are just a few things that are confusing me a bit; for the push ups and sit ups, do we have to do them both within the same minute, or do we get a minute for each set? The wording is different in almost every place I look :P

Also, this is probably reserved for the medical, but is it held against me if I have to wear glasses? I know I meet the corrected vision requirements with them on, but I was just wondering if the army gives preferences to lads who don't need them (doesn't help that I've never seen an officer with specs before!).

Finally, does anybody who's already been mind giving an estimate of how big the groups are each day?

Hopefully I'll get to meet some of ye on the other side ;)

My visit is tomorrow also. I'm applying to the Air Corps so we've to meet in Casement aerodrome. I'm 99% sure it's 60 seconds for 20 pushps, then 60 seconds for 20 situps. They say it clearly in this video

I just had a look at the T&Cs document they sent out to check your query regarding eyesight. Here's everything they said about eyesight for the Army Line:
    Eyesight must be surgically untreated and colour vision must be normal. Both eyes must be free from disfiguring or incapacitating abnormality and free from acute or chronic disease. There must be no evidence of squint or latent squint. Applicants who have had previous incisional or laser treatment to correct visual acuity are excluded from eligibility.

Vision must be not less than 6/18 in each eye, corrected to not less than 6/6 in one eye and 6/9 in the other.

Not sure about the group size that will turn up. I think when they split us up we're put into groups of 7/8 but I've no idea how many there will be on the day. I imagine a good few though. Will be fairly alright since nobody will know anybody I reckon, so it's a good time to get chatting while we're waiting around throughout the day.

Tomorrow should be good craic! Best of luck

Anyone know what you're supposed to wear down when you first arrive? Do we wear our training gear first since it's near the beginning or do we wear casual and then change?

Anyone know what you're supposed to wear down when you first arrive? Do we wear our training gear first since it's near the beginning or do we wear casual and then change?

Casual then change.

No calculators lads

Casual then change.

No calculators lads

Thanks for getting back to us. How'd you find it overall?

• Advertisement

Bring all the stuff you were told to. They turned people away without it. Don't go mad on the run, there's a little slope before you turn around. Bring a big bottle of water because it's a long day

Bring all the stuff you were told to. They turned people away without it. Don't go mad on the run, there's a little slope before you turn around. Bring a big bottle of water because it's a long day

Ah, good to know. Where did you do it? For the Air Corps we've to go to Casement Aerodrome. I assume for the Army line it's different?

Ah shame about the calculator. I've a feeling my test scores will vastly differ now haha.

Is the day full on or is there some break time between each of the assessments? Will we be with the same group for the whole day?
    Is the fitness test done first thing?
    If a person was to fail the fitness test would they be sent home then and there or was there any reason to stick around for the rest of the day?

Sorry about all the questions just a bit nervous for tomorrow:p

Ah shame about the calculator. I've a feeling my test scores will vastly differ now haha.

Is the day full on or is there some break time between each of the assessments? Will we be with the same group for the whole day?
    If a person was to fail the fitness test would they be sent home then and there or was there any reason to stick around for the rest of the day?

You going to Casement tomorrow or somewhere else?

Yup I'll be in Casement. How are you feeling about it?

Yup I'll be in Casement. How are you feeling about it?

Not sure what to expect but everyone will be in the same boat I reckon except those who tried last year. What about you?

Also we're meeting the front gate entrance isn't it?

-There's breaks for food
    -You're in a big group but we stuck with the lads we'd be going through group assessment with
    -Registration then weighing, pushups and sit-ups, then running
    -If you fail any these it's straight home for you

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pat_custard

Hey guys done my assessment day last Wednesday just got an email this morning from the guards about my vetting application does anybody know if this is a good indication for getting to stage 3 or do all applicants have to fill it out regardless how ye got on in stage 2?

Hey guys done my assessment day last Wednesday just got an email this morning from the guards about my vetting application does anybody know if this is a good indication for getting to stage 3 or do all applicants have to fill it out regardless how ye got on in stage 2?

I got my email about Garda vetting a few days ago before I even did the assessment day so I wouldn't look into it too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 irishguy3000

Has anyone heard of when we should find out if we have gotten an interview or not?

Advertisement