Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cadetship competition 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 leatherjacket

Has anyone heard of when we should find out if we have gotten an interview or not?

For the Air Corps they will get back to us over the weekend (Most likely Saturday) as the interviews are within the next 2 weeks. Not sure if that applies to the Army line etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

They told us the next few days army. Interviews between 4th July and 4th August

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nuhcy

Howya lads. Have my fitness test etc tomorrow for the air corps in Casement. Anyone who did it recently have any hints or tips?

nuhcy wrote: »
    Did anyone fail the fitness test?
    Whats the interview like? Is it laidback or will they be grilling us?
    Is the maths test the same type as the online psychometric test? Will we be repeating all four of them?

Cheers for the tips!

Yeah a few did. If you fail they just send you straight home.

You do the online psychometric test again on their computers but it's a bit shorter. They're just checking it was you that did the one at home. Same tests but there was no verbal reasoning. You can use a calculator for that one. Afterwards they give you another maths test but there's no calculator and it's supervised. Pen, paper & brains is all you'll have. 24 questions if I remember correctly and it's timed. Similar questions to the psychometric test but you'll get phrased questions thrown in that you have to read.

There's no interview on the assessment day, that's not till next week or the week after (provided you get called back, we won't know till the end of this week.)

Generally everyone you will meet tomorrow is very nice and up for some craic. Except for the group assessment room of course.

There was ~110 numbers the day I did it and by the time we were having dinner there was ~65

A few got kicked out for having no documents or being too tall, small, or heavy (they failed caliper testing)

Another handful were gone on pushups then another few on situps.

The rest were gone on the run. They made some of the lads run to the spot because the bus was full but by the looks of it they all got on grand. Some of them were already PDF.

• Advertisement

Emails were sent today, one of my friends didn't get through. I was caught off guard by that one

BadBannana wrote: »
    Emails were sent today, one of my friends didn't get through. I'm ****ting bricks

Wow, didn't expect to hear anything until Saturday. Good luck lads.

Wow, didn't expect to hear anything until Saturday. Good luck lads.

That's what surprised me too....

I just got an email about a personality assessment, anyone else?

I just got an email about a personality assessment, anyone else?

You must be through in that case. Fair play. I'm still waiting but our group was told we would hear on Saturday.

• Advertisement

You must be through in that case. Fair play. I'm still waiting but our group was told we would hear on Saturday.

They seem to be working way quicker than in previous years

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mallow98

has anyone who went for the army/navy been asked to complete a personality questionare? thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MeganeMan

Actually, do they notify you if you haven't been selected or do they just leave you hanging? I haven't received any emails at all yet so I'm starting to worry that I haven't made the cut.

MeganeMan wrote: »
    Actually, do they notify you if you haven't been selected or do they just leave you hanging? I haven't received any emails at all yet so I'm starting to worry that I haven't made the cut.

They let you know if you didn't make it so I wouldn't worry until you get the email. I got the email yesterday saying I'm onto the interview, and today I got a link to the personality questionnaire. If you had your assessment day Wed/Thurs/Fri they might be another day or two getting back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭tommy_tucker

Any air corps lads having trouble logging on to the personality questionnaire, its asking me for a password and i havn't been supplied with one nor do i remember creating one for any previous stage.
    Can't get through to Paul McDermott on his phone and haven't got a reply to my email yet, it was suppose to be done by last night and i haven't been able to do it.
    Suggestions? am i missing something obvious?

Did anyone else get just the assessment email and not one saying you had passed onto the next stage?

Any air corps lads having trouble logging on to the personality questionnaire, its asking me for a password and i havn't been supplied with one nor do i remember creating one for any previous stage.
    Can't get through to Paul McDermott on his phone and haven't got a reply to my email yet, it was suppose to be done by last night and i haven't been able to do it.

I didn't have any trouble myself, but I do remember it asking me to create a new password. Maybe just check the link didn't ask you to create a password, as I remember thinking the same thing at first.

Nah

I didn't have any trouble myself, but I do remember it asking me to create a new password. Maybe just check the link didn't ask you to create a password, as I remember thinking the same thing at first.

-

They let you know if you didn't make it so I wouldn't worry until you get the email. I got the email yesterday saying I'm onto the interview, and today I got a link to the personality questionnaire. If you had your assessment day Wed/Thurs/Fri they might be another day or two getting back to you.

Fair enough (and well done!). Though the interviewing period for Army starts from tomorrow (or so we were told), so I'm starting to wonder if I ought to contact the recruitment office to see if there wasn't a mistake with my contact details or something like that.

• Advertisement

Fair enough (and well done!). Though the interviewing period for Army starts from tomorrow (or so we were told), so I'm starting to wonder if I ought to contact the recruitment office to see if there wasn't a mistake with my contact details or something like that.

I did just that because I hadn't gotten a date for my interview

I did just that because I hadn't gotten a date for my interview

Yeah that's probably your best bet. For me, I got an email Saturday evening saying I was invited to the interview with information to follow by email on Sunday. Then on Sunday I got times/docs to bring etc.

Best bet may be to call a couple times tomorrow to try and get in touch. Hope it all works out. Let us know if you manage to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pat_custard

Anybody else get emails about the personality questionnaire and garda vetting forms but nothing about stage 3?

That's all I've got so far, not sure if it's a good indication or just standard procedure.

Finally got a hold of the recruitment office the other day, unfortunately I didn't make it this time. Ah well, there's always next year. Best of luck to the rest of ye lads!

Finally got a hold of the recruitment office the other day, unfortunately I didn't make it this time. Ah well, there's always next year. Best of luck to the rest of ye lads!

Unlucky bud. Was it your first year applying? I really feel like it's a game of luck (esp with group assessments etc.)

My interview was a train wreck at parts so I accepted it wouldn't be this year the moment I left the room. As you said, there's always next year.

Unlucky bud. Was it your first year applying? I really feel like it's a game of luck (esp with group assessments etc.)

My interview was a train wreck at parts so I accepted it wouldn't be this year the moment I left the room. As you said, there's always next year.

Yep, first time going for anything to do with the DF. The group assessment caught me off guard, so no doubt that's where I let myself down. Ah well, I thought it was a pretty cool learning experience if nothing else.

Sorry to hear about that. At our cadets presentation there was one lad from the Air Corps who said he got it on his seventh attempt! So no reason to let this discourage us.

Yep, first time going for anything to do with the DF. The group assessment caught me off guard, so no doubt that's where I let myself down. Ah well, I thought it was a pretty cool learning experience if nothing else.

Sorry to hear about that. At our cadets presentation there was one lad from the Air Corps who said he got it on his seventh attempt! So no reason to let this discourage us.

7th attempt? Man that's dedication. I heard a fair number of them get in on their 2nd/3rd time. Maybe the DF sees they're interested for reapplying. Who knows. Anyway I'm sure we'll be chatting again on the 2018 thread :)

Hey leatherjacket did you already do your final interview?

I'm scheduled in for next Wednesday, a little nervous about it dunno what to expect.

Hey leatherjacket did you already do your final interview?

I'm scheduled in for next Wednesday, a little nervous about it dunno what to expect.

This for the army line? I can only tell you about the Air Corps interview but I'd say they would be quite similar.

Generally everyone I got to meet was very nice. The psychologist interview was a little informal, he asks some very personal questions. Just be honest and if there's something you reckon you don't fancy bringing up, don't hint at it or else he'll dig at it. He might purposely try to make you feel uncomfortable with prolonged silences after you finish speaking, gives funny looks etc. Just be calm & don't be intimidated into speaking at 90mph. He might ask stuff like "What makes you think you'll be strong enough to get through 9 months at the Curragh?". Just borrow stuff from your competencies. Not much prep you can do for it really. One thing he did with me is try put words in my mouth, such as "I notice that job must have really done some wear and tear on you". I'd have to respond something like "I'll have to disagree with that, in fact it help develop my resilience, traits in x, y, z.".

Panel interview everyone was actually really nice, contrary to what I've heard over the past few years. Just know your competencies and have specific stories & examples. It's fine having a moment to think when it's 1 on 1 but with a panel of 4 or 5 it can be stressful when you're trying to remember on the spot. Just practice over and over but allow room for variation so it doesn't sound rehearsed.

Before the panel interview the officer that came to get me basically gave me the entire rundown in private, stuff like: When you walk in, do X. No need to shake everyone's hand. Water if you need it. Give your CV to X if you have one (not required). etc. He also said reassuring stuff like don't be worrying, it's a very relaxed interview etc. Really surprised me to be honest. I feel I could have prepared and rehearsed my examples for the various competencies a lot better.

Other than that, make sure you polish the shoes well & look smart. Get a hair cut. First impressions. Know your competencies and prepare for normal job interview questions (Why you want the army, describe a day on the job, describe a typical day during training).

You'll be fine. Let me know if you've any other questions. Again I did mine in Casement so results may vary :D

• Advertisement

This for the army line? I can only tell you about the Air Corps interview but I'd say they would be quite similar.

Generally everyone I got to meet was very nice. The psychologist interview was a little informal, he asks some very personal questions. Just be honest and if there's something you reckon you don't fancy bringing up, don't hint at it or else he'll dig at it. He might purposely try to make you feel uncomfortable with prolonged silences after you finish speaking, gives funny looks etc. Just be calm & don't be intimidated into speaking at 90mph. He might ask stuff like "What makes you think you'll be strong enough to get through 9 months at the Curragh?". Just borrow stuff from your competencies. Not much prep you can do for it really. One thing he did with me is try put words in my mouth, such as "I notice that job must have really done some wear and tear on you". I'd have to respond something like "I'll have to disagree with that, in fact it help develop my resilience, traits in x, y, z.".

Panel interview everyone was actually really nice, contrary to what I've heard over the past few years. Just know your competencies and have specific stories & examples. It's fine having a moment to think when it's 1 on 1 but with a panel of 4 or 5 it can be stressful when you're trying to remember on the spot. Just practice over and over but allow room for variation so it doesn't sound rehearsed.

Before the panel interview the officer that came to get me basically gave me the entire rundown in private, stuff like: When you walk in, do X. No need to shake everyone's hand. Water if you need it. Give your CV to X if you have one (not required). etc. He also said reassuring stuff like don't be worrying, it's a very relaxed interview etc. Really surprised me to be honest. I feel I could have prepared and rehearsed my examples for the various competencies a lot better.

Other than that, make sure you polish the shoes well & look smart. Get a hair cut. First impressions. Know your competencies and prepare for normal job interview questions (Why you want the army, describe a day on the job, describe a typical day during training).

You'll be fine. Let me know if you've any other questions. Again I did mine in Casement so results may vary :D

Sound Leatherjacket big help! Regarding the competencies I've been getting mine ready the last few days but I've noticed that some of my stories seem to fit into more than one competency, do they just ask straight out show your planning and organizing competency or what was the format of the questions?

Advertisement