Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Offer/State Benefit

Options
  • 25-05-2017 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, my brother owns a small business, he's got a baby on the way and has asked me if I would be able to run the shop. I've been out of work a long time and currently receiving Job Seekers. He's has offered me 50% of the business in return for manning the shop full time for a year.

I won't be able to do this without some support, the business itself is too small to be able to pay a wage at the moment. I'm wondering if there is any State Benefit that would be able to accommodate me working there until the shop gets off the ground.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

I take it he is not having the baby himself but just wants to keep his income comming in while you work for free or at the States expense. Joe Duffy is the man to help this case along... I fear you are in the wrong place with it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ready2Rumble

No, he is not making any income from the business either, as said the business is too small to pay a wage at the minute as it's still relatively new. He has asked me to take on manning the shop in return for a 50% stake as he needs help to keep it ticking over. So basically in return for him not having to work every hour I'd be getting a share for filling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

And you think the state should pay you to acquire this 50%.... nuts fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ready2Rumble

Not that they should,.. I'm wondering if there is some kind of grant perhaps; to help people get on their feet and come off the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

So long as you don't receive a wage from the business then it may be possible for you too continue claiming the dole. It is a bit of a grey area though so only way to find out is from your dole office. Disclaimer: by going to the dole office you may end up ruining any dole that you are receiving at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

Have a look at the back to work enterprise scheme, this may or may not be what you are after.

If you register you can retain 100% of your social payments for a year and about 75% for the next 6 months

see this link for proper details : http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Enterprise-Allowance-Self-Employed.aspx

However, do you mind telling us what sort of business you are getting in to ?
    And , Can you expand the business as it is now down to you to do all the work while your brother retains 50%.

If you want a wage you will now have to increase your sales/service and then hand over 50%

Are you sure this is a deal ? What supports will your brother provide while busy with a new child ?

I hope this helps, take another look at what you are getting , and if there is a possibility of the business ever paying a wage.

Cheers,
    SysProg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hi, my brother owns a small business, he's got a baby on the way and has asked me if I would be able to run the shop. I've been out of work a long time and currently receiving Job Seekers. He's has offered me 50% of the business in return for manning the shop full time for a year.

I won't be able to do this without some support, the business itself is too small to be able to pay a wage at the moment. I'm wondering if there is any State Benefit that would be able to accommodate me working there until the shop gets off the ground.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

The sense of entitlement is unreal.

Your brother’s partner is pregnant. He (note the ‘he’ bit, not ‘she’) now wants to give up work for a year (!) and have somebody run his business – a business that is new, too small, not making much money and incapable of supporting its owner or a staff member. He expects you to work for nothing? And you not only expect ‘grants’ to be available for his holiday but also expect advice not only on how to finance both your lifestyles? Are you just bored and having fun by posting that tripe?

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are for real. The Jobseeker’s allowance is called by that name for a reason. Concentrate on finding a job, not looking for a hand-out, its a distraction.

Most all working women that I know manage families and when pregnant remain in work up until a short time before the birth. Those who are employees use their maternity leave allowance (which they are quite entitled to do). Those who are self-employed don't have that luxury and are back at work quite soon after the birth. It’s called a work ethic and often is coupled with a disdain for a hand-out mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Your brother blatantly has no interest whatsoever in his new business. It's a joke what he is intending to do.

He's better to shut it down now.

Advertisement