Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIT

Options
  • 25-05-2017 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey guys. I'm heading off to Athlone IT to study Microbiology. Anyone know what's the easiest way to commute from Dublin to there? I don't drive. A train? A bus? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The train station is up the town so you'd have to get from there down to the IT which is about 2.5Km.

There is a bus station at the IT that busses from Dublin stop at.

Have you thought about moving down? You're going to spend a long time every day sitting on a bus otherwise. Bus Eireann have a bus that leaves Bus Aras at 6.30 and gets to AIT at 8.45 so if you're starting at 9am that's the one you'll have to get everyday. Getting into Bus Aras for that time isn't easy either, I'm not sure if the first DARTS would get you in for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 FatWalrus

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The train station is up the town so you'd have to get from there down to the IT which is about 2.5Km.

There is a bus station at the IT that busses from Dublin stop at.

Have you thought about moving down? You're going to spend a long time every day sitting on a bus otherwise. Bus Eireann have a bus that leaves Bus Aras at 6.30 and gets to AIT at 8.45 so if you're starting at 9am that's the one you'll have to get everyday.

Hey. Yeah we have thought about moving me down there. But nothing is certain for now, if I can manage I have no problem commuting everyday. Thanks for the advice. Are you a student there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

No, I'm an ex student.

Just be aware if you do commute that you'll be leaving your home in Dublin at approx 5.30am and won't get back 9 or 10pm.

You will have no life Mon to Fri and while I think busses do have WiFi I don't think they have power sockets. So if you need to do course work you prob won't be able to do it on the bus.

No, I'm an ex student.

Just be aware if you do commute that you'll be leaving your home in Dublin at approx 5.30am and won't get back 9 or 10pm.

You will have no life Mon to Fri and while I think busses do have WiFi I don't think they have power sockets. So if you need to do course work you prob won't be able to do it on the bus.

Oh okay. Damn. Thanks for the advice. Yeah okay I think the best course of action for me is to move down there. Anywhere you'd suggest?

It's been a while since I was there so I wouldn't know anymore.

The Students Union would be the place to check though.

http://www.aitsu.ie/accommodation

Also it's best to wait til you get your CAO results before doing anything.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

FatWalrus wrote: »
    Hey guys. I'm heading off to Athlone IT to study Microbiology. Anyone know what's the easiest way to commute from Dublin to there? I don't drive. A train? A bus? Thanks.

I've seen the CityLink buses pull up right outside the college, Bus Eireann do too, so they might be your best bet.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dalyaaltulaihi

FatWalrus wrote: »
    Thanks for the help.

You're best off moving from Dublin because otherwise it'll be very difficult for you to have a social life and college life. Commuting to and from Dublin will total up to 4hours per day where these 4 hours can be spent doing something else if you lived closer to college

• Advertisement

You're best off moving from Dublin because otherwise it'll be very difficult for you to have a social life and college life. Commuting to and from Dublin will total up to 4hours per day where these 4 hours can be spent doing something else if you lived closer to college

Yeah thanks. I'm probably going to end up doing that.

Advertisement