Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV License Prosecution?

• 25-05-2017 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

TL;DR: Read Bold.

So, at the start of the year I didn't pay my TV License because I read the conditions and found out that I actually don't need to have one. I don't own a TV at the moment because I watch pretty much everything on my laptop.

When I first moved into my home my parents gave me one of their old TVs and set up a satellite dish, which I never used. This is why I did hold a TV license at one point. The TV was pretty small and out of date so I gave it to a friend who needed a monitor.

About a month or two after my renewal date I got a notice that I'd missed a TV License Inspector. The notice said they'd come back in a week or so (I can't exactly remember) and I figured I'd catch them some other time to prove I didn't have a TV. The notice showed that they'd observed a satellite dish.

A few days ago I got a letter saying that if I didn't pay soon, I'd be fined €1000. I freaked out and downloaded a form and filled it out to pay monthly. I posted it today but when I got home, there's another notice from an inspector. This one is pretty much Identical but it has "(For Prosecution)" written on it.

So as you can guess I'm a little freaked out and also pissed off. I've just sent a form to pay for a license I don't need and I'm being threatened with prosecution. Can they really prosecute me if they've never verified that I don't have a TV? Is this a guarantee that they're going to prosecute me?

Sorry for the long explanation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Email them with your old license number and inform them you no longer need a license as you don't own or use a TV . End of story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

dev100 wrote: »
    Email them with your old license number and inform them you no longer need a license as you don't own or use a TV . End of story

Thanks for the concise answers to my questions. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Why would you pay for a TV licence if you don't have a TV?
    Or maybe you do have one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The satellite dish may be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

If you have equipment capable of receiving a signal you need a TV licence so because you have the satellite dish you'll have to get one.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

If you have equipment capable of receiving a signal you need a TV licence so because you have the satellite dish you'll have to get one.

I wonder why you would go to all the trouble of putting up a satellite dish if you weren't having a television. I can see if you moved into a house and it was there already that you might not have a television but the fact that you installed it tells a lot.
    Also the size and age of the television is irrelevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

A satellite dish is not a television. You don't need a licence to have a satellite dish (if you have no Television).

brian_t wrote: »
    A satellite dish is not a television. You don't need a licence to have a satellite dish (if you have no Television).

You didn't read the link then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

When I first got married 20yrs ago the house had an Ariel on the roof, we had no TV and we had to pay for a TV licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You didn't read the link then

This has been covered so many times. You do not need a license for a satellite dish because it is not an apparatus capable of receiving a signal without additional equipment. An inspector will say that a dish is evidence of a tv but a dish on it's own isn't enough to prosecute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In summarising the legislation (Pt 9 of the Broadcasting Act 2009), the Citizens Information website condenses it just a bit to much, and leaves out some important details. One of the omitted details is that the what the legislation actually talks about is "apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services". A satellite dish or ariel alone is not enough.

Discodog wrote: »
    This has been covered so many times. You do not need a license for a satellite dish because it is not an apparatus capable of receiving a signal without additional equipment. An inspector will say that a dish is evidence of a tv but a dish on it's own isn't enough to prosecute.

Okk....not everyone reads the forum enough to know what's covered on a regular basis. I think every forum has those posts and it's hard not to get exasperated...but good to try.
    Sorry :)

Thanks poster above, I appreciate the detailed explanation :D

Advertisement