Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronseal Fence paint

Options
  • 25-05-2017 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭

Is this stuff really any good?? Ive been to 2 different DIY shops and they both recommended it. I changing colour on the garden fence from red ceder to sage. As I was told sage will draw more light into the back garden and also make the garden seem bigger.

I have 10 panels and powerwashed a good bit of the old ceder off. Bought the Ronseal 9lt 5 year paint in woodies for €29. Its like coloured water and Im on my 3rd coat on 3 panels and think it will need another maybe 2! Plus the fact I will need another 2 or 3 drums at this rate. I am brushing it on, have spent most of sunday and every evening this week and still haven't got 3 complete!

I understand red ceder is a darker colour than sage, but there seriously has to be better stuff out there! I googled it and came across Blackfriar, But there is only 1 stockist of it and thats in Donabate in Dublin which is no where near me! Just really looking for any ideas to speed it up. Also heard the sprayers are useless.

Is it a case of just getting on with it? Anybody have similar experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

It does exactly what it says on the tin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I used it on a shed, a picnic table & a shed door & it looks lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

benny79 wrote: »
    Is this stuff really any good?? Ive been to 2 different DIY shops and they both recommended it. I changing colour on the garden fence from red ceder to sage. As I was told sage will draw more light into the back garden and also make the garden seem bigger.

I have 10 panels and powerwashed a good bit of the old ceder off. Bought the Ronseal 9lt 5 year paint in woodies for €29. Its like coloured water and Im on my 3rd coat on 3 panels and think it will need another maybe 2! Plus the fact I will need another 2 or 3 drums at this rate. I am brushing it on, have spent most of sunday and every evening this week and still haven't got 3 complete!

I understand red ceder is a darker colour than sage, but there seriously has to be better stuff out there! I googled it and came across Blackfriar, But there is only 1 stockist of it and thats in Donabate in Dublin which is no where near me! Just really looking for any ideas to speed it up. Also heard the sprayers are useless.

Is it a case of just getting on with it? Anybody have similar experiences?

I had the exact same experience, with the same colours- 4 coats on my shed to get it to look respectable. From a distance its fine, although it could do with another coat or two when looking closely but 4 is seriously enough time wasted. I was later informed that the paint is more of a 'wash' designed to let the wood grain show.
    When i needed to paint my gates i got the paint shop to make up a tinted undercoat in the blue tin bin primer and the a dulux outdoors paint in the colour i wanted. It will be more expensive but it won't break your heart like the Ronseal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Yeah a few people total me you just have to grin and bear it as I'm going over a darker colour... My god is it time consuming, 1 panel takes a hour to coat. So it will need 4/5 coats = 4/5 hours per panel... On the plus "when" its finished it should last for a long time.

There really isn't anything better on the market..

Advertisement