Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locks

• 25-05-2017 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Total newbie here I'm hopefully picking up a SV650 in the next few days.
    It'll be parked in an underground carpark at my apartment and Im wondering what locks to get.

I dont think ill be able to lock it to any of the pillars unless i get a chain thats about 10 foot long lol

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Just put as many deterrents as possible on it. Big chain, disc lock and maybe a brake lock too. Make sure it's covered. Could you put a ground anchor in?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Dont think I'll be able to put in a ground anchor, I'll ask the management company.

Would it be worth getting a chain around the pillar and locking it to the back wheel?
    Normal chain not specifically for motorbikes, more as of a deterrent than anything

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I had a nightmare with my management company but eventually they agreed. I told them I moved here based on the promise of a secure carpark yet loads of bikes etc were being stolen. Moved it to a corner of the carpark and drilled it into the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

A good idea would be a disc lock with an alarm on it - a thief favours an underground carpark because they are quiet - a noisy disclock alarm is the opposite of that! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-Bike-Cycle-Security-Disc-Lock-with-Loud-anti-theft-Alarm-Yellow-B-S3E0-/282434818149?hash=item41c26d5065:g:Kc8AAOSwWWxY8uxi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Always remember that unless the motorcycle is locked to an immovable object, two reasonable strong guys can lift most motorcycles into a van . If using a high security chain make sure none of the chain can touch the ground. This makes it more difficult to cut with a large bolt cutters. :mad:

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Thanks lads a disc lock alarm is a great idea
    Provided someone takes notice.:(

The carpark is gated with security cameras but i know that wont make a huge difference.

The entrance is visable from a garda station so that might be a deterrent

Riva10 wrote: »
    Provided someone takes notice.:(

Well I'll be parking directly under my apartment so I should be able to hear if it goes off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Dont think I'll be able to put in a ground anchor, I'll ask the management company.

If you have an assigned place say nothing and install the anchor, the management company will most likely say no anyway. If not a few heavy chains around the pillar would be a good subsitute.

A decent alarm, with imobiliser, for the bike would be a good investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Almax chain and make sure you get a good alarm and hope for the best. As was said make it as hard as possible so they just wont be arsed and pick an easier bike to rob, Zena make a very good alarmed disc lock too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

put a cover on the bike as well as whatever else security wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I have been a victim more than once. Since I got a 19mm 2m long Almax chain and ground anchor, I sleep easy(er). Its cost a fair bit, but thats what it takes.

Oxford screamer is cheap and effective also.

Park it under a camera as well with plenty of light.

You cant stop them. You can only put them off a bit.

Advertisement