Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long connection time over wifi

Options
  • 25-05-2017 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I commenced my broadband service with Eir just yesterday.

Pretty much all my devices are very slow to connect to the WiFi. I have full signal, but apps on Web pages on my phone take ages to connect. Once they do, the speed is very fast.

For instance, using the speed test app on my phone, it might take 2 minutes to find a server, but when it does, I'm showing download speeds greater than 70mb. (it's fibre).

I've noticed this issue on my laptop also.

What could the problem be? I have the Eir TV also, and have heard this can pull from the broadband speed. But the box isn't even switched on currently, and the connection speed is still very slow.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Further to this, apps like Spotify don't work now at all, because it takes so long to make a connection.

This could be a deal breaker for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Hi,

Pretty much all my devices are very slow to connect to the WiFi. I have full signal, but apps on Web pages on my phone take ages to connect. Once they do, the speed is very fast.

For instance, using the speed test app on my phone, it might take 2 minutes to find a server, but when it does, I'm showing download speeds greater than 70mb. (it's fibre).

What could the problem be? I have the Eir TV also, and have heard this can pull from the broadband speed. But the box isn't even switched on currently, and the connection speed is still very slow.

Any ideas?
    Nothing to do with Eir TV, even if you were using it at same time it would only take a small amount of bandwidth

The problem sounds wifi related, either something wrong with router, its settings or interference

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭BoycieIRL

Hi,

Any ideas?
    Hi gerrybbadd,
    From experience the issue maybe with the modem config.
    Are you on efibre and have the Huawei F2000. If so you may resolve your issue by changing the config. If you log on to the modem and change from the default setting which is to use IPV4 + IPV6 to using IPV4 you may resolve the issue. If you can not do this then ring the support desk and ask them to remotely connect to your modem and change it to use IPV4 only.
    Worked for me with similar symptoms.
    Rgds
    Noel

BoycieIRL wrote: »
    Hi,

Any ideas?
    Hi gerrybbadd,
    Are you on efibre and have the Huawei F2000. If so you may resolve your issue by changing the config. If you log on to the modem and change from the default setting which is to use IPV4 + IPV6 to using IPV4 you may resolve the issue. If you can not do this then ring the support desk and ask them to remotely connect to your modem and change it to use IPV4 only.
    Rgds
    Noel
    Hi Noel,

Yes, it's efibre and the Huawei F2000.

Thanks a million for that, i'll try that out once i get home this evening. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi gerrybbadd,

Thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear this.

I would recommend contacting our technical support team to troubleshoot this on 1890 260 260 or freephone 1901.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Advertisement

Hi,

Any ideas?
    Hi gerrybbadd,
    Rgds
    Noel
    Hi Again Noel,

tried out your suggestion - worked instantly.

Thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

Hi gerrybbadd,
    Rgds
    Noel

Hi, I've been having the same issues as the op for months now. Got e-fibre installed in august last year and was great for the first few months with instant and quick wireless connection.

Then all of a sudden a number of months ago there was a long delay before connection but speed wasn't an issue once it connected.

I've gone into my router settings but it didn't appear that it's configured with IPv6 at all.
    ADSL IPv4 status is disconnected.
    VDSL IPv4 status is connected.
    GE WAN IPv4 status is disconnected.
    UMTS IPv4 status is disconnected.

If I edit any of the above none are set up to use IPv6 and IPv4, just IPv4.

Are the above settings correct?

When I got onto eir describing the issue the guy on the phone couldn't wait to get me off the phone with his very helpful suggestion of "just change the WiFi channel". Needless to say that made no difference.

Appreciate any advice.

Hi gerrybbadd,
    Rgds
    Noel

Hi, I've been having the same issues as the op for months now. Got e-fibre installed in august last year and was great for the first few months with instant and quick wireless connection.

Then all of a sudden a number of months ago there was a long delay before connection but speed wasn't an issue once it connected.

I've gone into my router settings but it didn't appear that it's configured with IPv6 at all.
    ADSL IPv4 status is disconnected.
    VDSL IPv4 status is connected.
    GE WAN IPv4 status is disconnected.
    UMTS IPv4 status is disconnected.

If I edit any of the above none are set up to use IPv6 and IPv4, just IPv4.

Are the above settings correct?

When I got onto eir describing the issue the guy on the phone couldn't wait to get me off the phone with his very helpful suggestion of "just change the WiFi channel". Needless to say that made no difference.

Appreciate any advice.
    Hi itsnotmyfault,

Thanks for getting in touch. 

Can you please PM me your account details and I will follow this up with the relevant department?

Thanks, 
    Anna. 

eir: Anna wrote: »
    Hi itsnotmyfault,

Thanks for getting in touch. 

Can you please PM me your account details and I will follow this up with the relevant department?

Thanks, 
    Anna. 

PM Sent.

No problem.

I'm currently working through my PM's and I will be in touch shortly.

Thanks, 
    Anna.

• Advertisement

I still haven't got this resolved and assume nobody else is having the same issue.

Anna has tried to help but unfortunately to no avail.

Anybody any suggestions. I have sent another pm to Anna.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

I still haven't got this resolved and assume nobody else is having the same issue.

Cheers!
    Hi itsnotmyfault,

I am very sorry to hear that you're still experiencing these issues. Anna is currently out of the office but if you PM me your details I will look into this for you.

- Adam

I'm still having issues myself. 

The Eir Vision TV service is shocking also. Virtually unwatchable, constantly freezing every few seconds. Even on recordings

The Eir Vision TV service is shocking also. Virtually unwatchable, constantly freezing every few seconds. Even on recordings
    Hi gerrybbadd,

I'm very sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing with your service. Have you been speaking to our technical support team about this?

- Adam

eir: Adam wrote: »

Hi gerrybbadd,

I'm very sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing with your service. Have you been speaking to our technical support team about this?

- Adam
    I haven't had a chance yet Adam. 

Hi gerrybbadd,

- Adam
    I haven't had a chance yet Adam. 
    If you give them a ring on 1890260260 or free phone 1901 they should be able to look into this for you.

- Adam

Cheers!
    Hi itsnotmyfault,

I am very sorry to hear that you're still experiencing these issues. Anna is currently out of the office but if you PM me your details I will look into this for you.

- Adam
    Forwarded on pm that i sent Anna.

I have received your PM and will respond to you shortly.

Thanks,
    Anna

Hi gerrybbadd,

Can you please PM me your account number and full name?

Thanks,
    Anna

Advertisement