Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervalu offer knives

• 25-05-2017 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,432 ✭✭✭✭

Supervalu currently have Masterchef branded knives on offer - the brand is almost enough for me to discount them; however they *are* cheap

https://supervalu.ie/rewards/collect-points/masterchef-knives

My current knife lineup is a Victorinox chefs knife and a block of Masterclass knives - all gifts, mostly housewarming. All are decent enough and I have proper sharpening kit but I suspect its a fairly poor setup compared to most.

Do any of the more serious posters here rate this offer at all? The santokus are what I'd be looking at probably

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

At that price I can't see the harm in getting one and giving it a try, especially if you shop in Supervalu anyway and will accumulate the vouchers.

The best knife is the one that you enjoy using and does what you want it to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

For me, the large and small Santokus are the best bits of this offer.
    No heavy bolsters, nice clean edges.

How well they take a fine edge or how long they hold it, that's down to steel type, heat treat and geometry...

They would do well enough anyway, and may lead to more exotic stuff.

I buy from TK Maxx near as often as I buy from Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

What TK Maxx brands do you go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

longshanks wrote: »
    What TK Maxx brands do you go for?

It depends what catches my eye, or fills a niche role.
    My latest was Sabatier branded, means very little any more.,=

I bought because I like the "petty" utility paring size (this is like a 3" blade of very thin and flexible steel, not quite a fillet knife bendy), the thin stainless stock (thin full flat grinds always cut well, or can be made to) and it's a knife my wife will use too (she refuses to touch the Japanese steel anymore, once bitten...)

Sorry for the stock image, Photobucket is being an ass, so I need to find a new home for my pictures.

51ArRBL%2BkRL._SY355_.jpg

Advertisement