Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICB & arrears from old loan, possibly incorrect?

• 25-05-2017 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm hoping to possibly get some advice/input.

I am currently applying for a mortgage, my credit history over the last 6 or so years has been quite good, with no missed payments on loans etc, credit card cleared monthly in full, overdraft I haven't used since last year and monthly savings for 6 years solid.

But during the mortgage process an old student loan I had fallen behind on flagged up - some background on this loan: I took the loan out as a student in 2009, was silly with repayments and went in to arrears, the lender passed the loan to a collection company, that was enough of a scare to be honest so I agreed large repayments (200/month), this was not paid to the debt collectors, I was still paying in to the student loan account as they requested, I got that loan cleared in full without a missed payment from when I agreed, July 2011 - December 2012 and received confirmation from the lender in January 2013 the loan was cleared in full.

I though that was all in the past, but as I mentioned it raised a red flag on my mortgage application so I requested a copy of my ICB, and it looks quite odd. I can see the student loan is down for removal in Jan next year, but the repayment history doesn't look quite right, the 24 boxes are a countdown of starting on 9 payments in arrears in box 1 counting down in batches of five to 6 payments in arrears in box 2, with the final box showing 'C' for completed.

Since I never missed a payment on the new terms of 18 months, should I not see most of the more recent repayments as ticks/paid on time since these were new terms?

I have another loan on the ICB that has 24 on time payments with no missed, and my CRIF 3 score is quite strong, but the mortgage provider have asked me to bottom out the student loan before I proceed further, which leaves me to my next headache, they said a letter of confirmation from the bank to confirm it was paid in full could suffice, but the original lender have said since the loan was 2009 it is too far in the past so they have no record/statements they can sent out to me, and I no longer have a copy of the letter stating it was paid in full from 2013.

So my question really is, do I have grounds to get the original lender to update my ICB to reflect the 18 months of no missed payments after I started paying the loan with the new terms? Or even ask nicely for them to remove it now instead of Jan '18?

It's quite frustrating - getting that scare as a student really changed my attitude towards my finances and I have been extremely on top of my finances since then, such a shame this is causing me hassle once again.

Any ideas/tips?

Advertisement