Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring help

Options
  • 25-05-2017 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

hi,i have a sky router in my hall and my computer in the room beside it and use wifi,which is fine for my everyday use but i would like to kill two birds with the one stone and wire from the router to my computer(10 meters)and then from there out of the back of my house to a man cave at the end of my garden(a futher 35meters.

can i just use one wire from the router to computer and then use some kind of three way splitter and send one to the computer and one to the man cave.

would this be a good solution to both situations and what is the best cable,i just tonight fount cat 7 cable(i was going to use cat 6)

also i was going to hook up one of those network audio streamers down in the man cave,can i stream music from my computer to the streamer or would i be better off with something locally in the man cave like a nas drive.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Buy an unmanaged gigabit switch, cable from router to switch, separate cables from switch to computer, man cave, nas etc. For the small extra cost go for a gigabit switch rather than a 100/10 switch, future proofing and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭johnboy8

cheers,exactly what i was looking for.

Heres the one I'm using, https://www.amazon.co.uk/DGS-108-Gigabit-Unmanaged-Desktop-Switch/dp/B007DHTX7Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495753761&sr=8-3&keywords=dlink+gigabit+switch

PW gets over the delivery problem, its a lovely piece of kit it just does the job no messing required.

sugarman wrote: »
    Just get a good set of homeplugs, no messing about running cables down the garden.

thought of that,but the wiring is a two wire supply to the mancave with a seperate earth picked up down there.i would need a three wire supply to the shed.

Homeplugs are rubbish, I had them before I installed the switch and there's no comparison. The switch just works silently in the background, everything attached to it gets full speed, 360meg in my case. For the sake of running a cable I'd go with the switch.

• Advertisement

Yes, all of them are rubblish:rolleyes: Like anything, dont cheap out. With a decent set there shouldnt be any loss in speed.

Well, they're rubbish compared to a dedicated switch, homeplugs never give the speeds they claim to give. No point in having 360 meg available and trying to get that speed out of a homeplug no matter what you pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

jca wrote: »
    Well, they're rubbish compared to a dedicated switch, homeplugs never give the speeds they claim to give. No point in having 360 meg available and trying to get that speed out of a homeplug no matter what you pay for it.

You'd need a switch with home plugs anyway to achieve what the op were after were if feasible. The home plug negates the need to run additional cables.
    Home plugs are great. Even the cheap ones. Beats the crap outts most wireless setups, negates need for additional cable runs and perfectly adequate for the majority of people.
    That said if you can run cat 6 without any problems go that route. Caveats apply to all of the info I have given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Yes, all of them are rubblish:rolleyes: Like anything, dont cheap out. With a decent set there shouldnt be any loss in speed.

Exactly! Not all homeplugs are bad. I've used both cheap and expensive ones in different setups. In my limited experience, the wireless ones are the worst. Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WUACD3U/ref=twister_B01N64I35J would be best for the OP. They are high speed, non-wireless and they are a reputable brand. Connect a switch/router to the end and they'll have the cave live without having to bury more cables.

kippy wrote: »
    You'd need a switch with home plugs anyway to achieve what the op were after were if feasible. The home plug negates the need to run additional cables.
    Home plugs are great. Even the cheap ones. Beats the crap outts most wireless setups, negates need for additional cable runs and perfectly adequate for the majority of people.
    That said if you can run cat 6 without any problems go that route. Caveats apply to all of the info I have given.

Not necessarily, the homeplugs I used had 3 outputs there was no need for a switch but using the switch is a million times better (speedwise anyway). I never found homeplugs reliable enough for outside transmission as the wiring tended to be a bit ropey and if there's a separate panel in the shed they won't see each other anyway. I don't think the op wants homeplugs as he thinks the wiring is shakey enough in the cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

jca wrote: »
    Not necessarily, the homeplugs I used had 3 outputs there was no need for a switch but using the switch is a million times better (speedwise anyway). I never found homeplugs reliable enough for outside transmission as the wiring tended to be a bit ropey and if there's a separate panel in the shed they won't see each other anyway. I don't think the op wants homeplugs as he thinks the wiring is shakey enough in the cave.
    As I said, caveats apply.

• Advertisement

can i use a telephone cable that is installed in the house one port at the router and one at the computer.ie could i get another router or something.cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

johnboy8 wrote: »
    can i use a telephone cable that is installed in the house one port at the router and one at the computer.ie could i get another router or something.cheers.

That depends on what kind of cable it is and how long it is (35m +internal wiring). How is it routed between the buildings? Buried, in a conduit or overhead?
    It might even be CAT5 depending on when it was installed.
    Take a look first to see how many pairs it has in it.

it seems to be a standard telephone line,four wires.black/red/green/yellow.......i looked at the wiring that feeds the main router and its a telephone type cable with two wires used.

That's a pity.
    Follow it out anyway to see how it travels to the manshed.
    It will likely be the easiest route for you to run cat5 or cat6 anyway,
    and if you're not using it anymore, you might even be able to use it to pull the network cable (and a length of nylon string for the next time you need to pull something) through tight spots. If it's in a conduit with enough space, you might even pull the phone cable back into place with the string when you're done.

can you explain how normal telephone cable is feeding my wall plug,from that wall plug my router is fed.can i not use the telephone line that i am talking about to set up a new position beside my computer and hook up maybe a second router there.

Unfortunately not.
    The cables are very different and phone cable will not support ethernet traffic.
    It's a bit like trying to receive television signals on an FM radio - they're just not compatible.
    At about 10m you might get a slow link running, but at your distances it's not practical.

Give some more information about how the cable gets out to the shed and see what are your best options.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

johnboy8 wrote: »
    thought of that,but the wiring is a two wire supply to the mancave with a seperate earth picked up down there.i would need a three wire supply to the shed.

There is NO SUCH THING as an "earth picked up down there". Assuming your mancave has sockets then 3 wires are needed, full stop.
    It's your call but I would advise caution, and even if all your equipment is double insulated(unlikely) a proper earth is ESSENTIAL.

Sorry to sound preachy or alarmist, but ask around if you can and see if you know or know a friend of a friend who is a spark to confirm for your own safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

If you are running an Ethernet cable down to the man-cave then don't forget to buy external stuff to ensure longevity

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Cables/Multi-External-Outdoor-waterproof-Direct-Ethernet-Network/B00EOTHF4W

I got my man cave built there about 6 months ago and had 2 cables pulled in from the house, one goes into a hub and the other feeds an extender for my Sky box

Advertisement