Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring help

Options
  • 25-05-2017 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

hi,i have a sky router in my hall and my computer in the room beside it and use wifi,which is fine for my everyday use but i would like to kill two birds with the one stone and wire from the router to my computer(10 meters)and then from there out of the back of my house to a man cave at the end of my garden(a futher 35meters.

can i just use one wire from the router to computer and then use some kind of three way splitter and send one to the computer and one to the man cave.

would this be a good solution to both situations and what is the best cable,i just tonight fount cat 7 cable(i was going to use cat 6)

also i was going to hook up one of those network audio streamers down in the man cave,can i stream music from my computer to the streamer or would i be better off with something locally in the man cave like a nas drive.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

can i just use one wire from the router to computer and then use some kind of three way splitter and send one to the computer and one to the man cave.

Not the way you seem to be thinking.

You can bring one wire from the router, and then use another router or switch, to provide further connections from that one wire.
    If possible you would do better to bring the wire from the man-cave directly to the router itself, and do the same with a second wire from the computer to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭johnboy8

cheers.thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

Not the way you seem to be thinking.

You can bring one wire from the router, and then use another router or switch, to provide further connections from that one wire.
    If possible you would do better to bring the wire from the man-cave directly to the router itself, and do the same with a second wire from the computer to the router.

If Gigabit is not required he could use one cable for 2 100mbs connections using 2 splitters, one beside the router and one beside the PC. Not ideal but sometimes useful.

But if possible and given the long run to the garden a single cable from router to shed would give best performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭johnboy8

is the telephone line thats wired into the wall from my router to the computer any good for anything.

Advertisement