Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3.5 Year Gap in CV, what to say?

Options
  • 25-05-2017 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Regular user going unregged for this. Im posting here because I dont think you can post unreged in the work forum.

As the title of the thread says, I have a 3.5 year gap in my CV that I dont know how to approach in interviews.

I worked for ~10 years after my leaving cert (i did not do any training or college) during the boom, ending up in a good IT position before the crash. When the downturn hit I was let go and to be honest I was devastated. I must have applied for 100's of jobs after this for about 1.5-2 years but couldnt secure anything (I had no training and my leaving cert wasnt very good). After that I stopped applying for jobs because interviews were actually destoying my soul and I ended up walking out of a few, due to crumbling when asked "what have you been doing when unemployed" questions, as I was already feling bad about it personally. I used to just say "applying for jobs", then the enevitable "is that all?" response. So I basically "crashed" during this period and it took me years to recover a bit.

So I ended up unemployed for 3.5years and being honest I did NOTHING during this period, nothing I could put down on my CV or discuss in an interview. Once I stopped applying for jobs I just lazed around and hung out with friends. Eventually I copped on, attended a fetac course, then an honours degree.

Now Its time to start looking for opportunities and I have no idea on how to approach the "what did you do for those 3.5 years" question in interviews, which is literally the first thing employers ask when they see my CV. There is literally nothing I could say that I can back up with evidence, because I did nothing constructive during this period. So how can I approach this in interviews? I would like to have something prepared that I can talk about before I get asked the question, so I can kind of "take charge" of the interview and not get cornered, because anytime I get asked the question I am so embarrassed and ashamed of that period that it can be read in my body language. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

Personally, I'd probably lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Just lie, say you worked in a bar or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I had about a year's gap on my cv. I had a really good redundancy payoff, and effectively decided to take a gap year at 30 something. As it happened both my parents were ill during this year so I simply said that. Never was an issue.

My previous boss employed two people who had considerable gaps in cvs...one had been travelling, one had taken time off to write a (published) book. He said they were interesting interviewees who had more to contribute. He also had a considerable gap in his own c.v as had been stay at home dad. He just described it as a sabbatical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

U did some travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

jobgap wrote: »
    "what have you been doing when unemployed"

attended a fetac course, then an honours degree.

Fill in any remaining gaps with travel and you're good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Say you went backpacking. Just do some research on what countries and the main attractions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Travel is a great one.

Also, you can say that you were working for yourself.

Doing what? Well, you can make that up... fixing computers locally, doing deliveries ( I wanted to making ends meet), gardening.

Can they ever find out? Nah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Thanks for all the replies, appriciate it.

Just to be clear, the gap was the full 3.5 years, then I attended the Fetac course, so I didnt do anything for the 3.5 years.

Lying was obviously the first option I thought of, but the problem with that is, I cannot back it up in any way at all and they can see right through the lies as I cannot lie if I know I cant back it up with some "evidence".

For instance saying I went travelling... we are talking about a 3.5 year gap, I think its too large to fill with lies like that. Having no experiences to talk about that match the lie and where would I get money for 3.5 years of travel? Working abroad with no proof??

Also saying I worked for myself etc for 3.5 years, without any proof, anyone would see through this lie. If I lie about working, I have no one to back this up for me by saying I worked for them, no tax paid either etc.

What ....... said is pretty much what Ive said in interviews, but they dig further and further and ask things like " you couldnt get ANY employment?" or "you were looking for a job 8 hours a day?" Ive literally been grilled to death about this in interviews and ended up just walking out.

Is lying the only way to tackle this? Its the route I really dont want to go down, I mean even if they cant prove I'm lying, it doesnt mean they will think I'm tellling the truth and the minute some doubt is cast, the CV will be in the bin. I have a 10+ year work history before the gap (working immediately after leaving cert with no gaps) upto a high level and 5 years education after it. Its ironic employers talk about honesty, yet it gets you nowhere in these circumstances. I know its not the way the world works, but why should an employer care if a potential employee took 3 years off after working 10 years with no large breaks? Very few people would even be around in the same company at 10 years these days as it is. Its funny but the cliche that you cant use of "I took time out to find myself" is actually the most honest and is pretty much what I did, but would be a deal breaker for most employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Half the country was unemployed during the downturn. I wouldn't worry about it. People have gaps on their CVs for a million reasons, the recruiter will have seen it all before. Just be honest, it's easier than lying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Another day

Honesty is the best policy. Try this....after being made redundant I applied all round me for a new position without success. This had a negative impact on me and I withdrew into myself. Finally I copped on that the only way back to proper employment was further education that's what lead me to being here now.

Tbh 3.5 years with no answer to what you did leads them to believe you are possibly hiding something. ...prison term....so being up front generally answers their question.

It is extremely tough seeking work and you need to persevere with a smile on your face even if you are fed up with the process...try talking to a recruitment agency. They gave me advice on responses to awkward questions which I found extremely helpful.

Best of luck with the job hunt and well done on your degree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Say you took time out to travel. Have a few places in mind and learn a bit just in case your asked where. It will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hi there, it's very hard to fill in the gap when nothing happened during that time due to unforeseen circumstances.

You could just say you took a 'career break' you telling the truth from that point of view. Maybe add in you did an online course. You could put something in to say you filled in the time with something hobby related or that you set up something or worked from home for friends or something like that or you set up a blog about something depends on the area you have worked in in the past.

If they ask about it just come up with something to say how you filled that time in a professional manner or with hobbies. Not dwell on it too much. Just enough info to explain the gap. They can't really judge you for taking a career break? Keep it simple just say you had difficulty looking for work and filled your time doing 'xyz'.

I think to say you were 'traveling' i'm not saying they look it up but I think they could guess if you were bluffing in the interview? You need to be convincing if they ask about it. Some interviewers can pick up if you just talking to show your confidence and just rambling on about what ever you are talking about.

Maybe just say you did courses to help with your cv/interview and unsuccessful looking for work. They can't really probe too much on that? Say you volunteered or worked for free?

You still went onto do the fetac course as a result of the gap talk about it on CV/Interview and move on from there.

I would state in CV something similar to what this poster wrote explains your situation without bluffing.
    ....... wrote: »

I think to be honest as best you can to be seen to be doing something in that time is great but what ever it is you need to be able to explain it convincingly.

Hope that helps best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I have interviewed several people who have had gaps in their employment history , I would be as honest as possible with making myself out to be a waster. Just tell them the truth , you worked out of school, worked your way up to a good position and then the bad times hit. Unable to get a job you were under pressure and thought you could not go back to school due to age, commitments and such. Eventually you couldn't get a job and realised if not a little late you needed to further your education and that is what you did. Skip the hanging around statement keep it simple and honest. Most people who interview people for positions can smell a lie. Be confident and honest, respectful and to the point, and know your stuff and you will do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Have you spoke with a recruitment agency?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i would be honest. explain like you did in your first post. a good employer will see past the 'unemployed for 3.5 years'. look what you achieved before that period and what you achieved after you decided you wanted to start learning again. it shows guts and drive and will impress someone with a job for you. it's up to you to keep searching. best of luck

Thanks for all the replies

Honesty is the best policy. Try this....after being made redundant I applied all round me for a new position without success. This had a negative impact on me and I withdrew into myself. Finally I copped on that the only way back to proper employment was further education that's what lead me to being here now.

Tbh 3.5 years with no answer to what you did leads them to believe you are possibly hiding something. ...prison term....so being up front generally answers their question.

It is extremely tough seeking work and you need to persevere with a smile on your face even if you are fed up with the process...try talking to a recruitment agency. They gave me advice on responses to awkward questions which I found extremely helpful.

I like the approach you give, I'll be honest, persevering with a smile was definitely a problem I had in the past, it gets frustrating after time. I do think being upfront is the best policy.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Say you took time out to travel.
    starlit wrote: »
    I think to say you were 'traveling' i'm not saying they look it up but I think they could guess if you were bluffing in the interview?

I agree with starlit, I dont want to lie about travelling, or anything really.

I think the advice to keep it simple and honest is probably the way to go.

Most people who interview people for positions can smell a lie. Be confident and honest, respectful and to the point, and know your stuff and you will do fine.
    Confidence is what I will need to work on. Interviews are where I am at my worst.

I havent been to a recruitment agency yet, but its a good idea. I will be talking to the carrer centre in my college, maybe I can practice a response with them.
    look what you achieved before that period and what you achieved after you decided you wanted to start learning again.

Thanks, thats the way I view it also, the gap shouldnt be of any concern to an employer, its not like I am going to get up and just walk out one day, its just the application process that I find difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wardling

I had a 3 year gap on my cv also. During interviews I use to lie and say I played piano, I was also teaching piano lessons during the week and playing in a cover band on the weekends to make ends meet and keep busy. Added in some spiel about organising gigs, finances, transport etc.

Said it was never a career prospect but enough to make ends meet while I continued to look for employment.

Worked a treat, I'd have been screwed if they wheeled a piano out during the interview though!! I've never even sat at one before! It's why I picked piano and not guitar or vocals. Highly doubtful there's one sitting in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

you can mix the unemployment with travel to reduce the 3.5 years.
    say you were let go but after months of being unable to secure a position you went travelling - say you came back to ireland and have been seeking employment since etc...
    make sure you say it was casual labour like bar work , don't make it too elaborate or too unusual.

if you are good for the job and given your previous work you'll be ok if you come across and decent and eager.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Have you any relatives or friends who own a business? if so, say you worked for them and have them give you a reference if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 KVA60

You didnt do nothing!

"What did you do for 3.5 years?"

"I spent a long time post redundancy seeking new employment but due to the economic downturn I was unable to secure a position. I decided instead to focus on professional development to improve my future chances of employment and to that end I secured a placement on a Fetac course which then led to me doing an Honours Degree."

And remember - many many people have periods of unemployment and gaps on their CVs due to the recession. Its nothing to be ashamed of.
    You didnt do nothing!

"What did you do for 3.5 years?"

"I spent a long time post redundancy seeking new employment but due to the economic downturn I was unable to secure a position. I decided instead to focus on professional development to improve my future chances of employment and to that end I secured a placement on a Fetac course which then led to me doing an Honours Degree."

And remember - many many people have periods of unemployment and gaps on their CVs due to the recession. Its nothing to be ashamed of.

This is the best advice. I'm an employment consultant. This type of scenario happens more than you think. The recession has left everyone with gaps due to redundancies, or simply no work there. I would meet with a few recruitment agencies and ask to come in and register to discuss your options. Choose ones that have a large IT function. They'll be able to advise you on what to say. Whatever you do don't lie, I've had candidates do this and it does catch up with them. I had one company asking for travel documents at one stage. The IT industry is booming right now and you may need to take on some short term contracts to get back into the game. Go to some agencies and be 100% honest with them and they'll be able to advise you on the best of course of action-plus it's in their interest to get you a job/call you re opportunities that might not be advertised. Best of luck

KVA60 wrote: »
    This is the best advice. I'm an employment consultant. This type of scenario happens more than you think. The recession has left everyone with gaps due to redundancies, or simply no work there. I would meet with a few recruitment agencies and ask to come in and register to discuss your options. Choose ones that have a large IT function. They'll be able to advise you on what to say. Whatever you do don't lie, I've had candidates do this and it does catch up with them. I had one company asking for travel documents at one stage. The IT industry is booming right now and you may need to take on some short term contracts to get back into the game. Go to some agencies and be 100% honest with them and they'll be able to advise you on the best of course of action-plus it's in their interest to get you a job/call you re opportunities that might not be advertised. Best of luck

Thank you for the advice. Its my thoughts exactly about not being caught out by lying. I dont know wether it makes a differece or not, but I wont be appying for IT jobs? The degree I did was to retrain in a totally different field, so it wont be IT recruiters I will be dealing with.

Can I ask, do you see many with a gap as large as mine, or is it just ~1-2 years?
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    Have you any relatives or friends who own a business? if so, say you worked for them and have them give you a reference if necessary.

No, not at all. I thought of this originally, but I have no one that would back this up

The only thing with this is, I would be getting a carer allowance if this was true. If I was asked for any proof, I would have nothing.

Btw the last bit of my post was in response to pgj2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Tbh I can't see many employers going "They have a 3.5 year gap in their CV but I admire their honesty."

After I left school I had a rough time finding work, stupidly I thought if I told the truth I could win them over with my personality if Igot an interview. Well I never got that interview, until I made a few tactictal edits to my CV and I've been gainfully employed ever since.

So tell the truth if you want but there will be other folks applying for that position who wont be as sincere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Advertisement