Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of ferrules.

Options
  • 25-05-2017 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

On stranded wire (7 solid strands) not flexible wire that answer is clear, do you normally use ferrules?

I always did in panels never really mind lights/sockets. A few years ago I used to do a bit of panel building and I can always remember being used on Tri-rated wire, in fact I cant ever remember not using a crimp or ferrules on wire.

Is it not a preferred reg 526.8.1 pg 94. ?

Doing a bit of pre-commissioning on motors/VSD's asked the for the contractor to ferrule the 16mm² into the terminals, and looked at me sideways.. I just think it looks more professional and its a more robust connection imo.

Any thoughts? I know Stoner dabbed in Panel building no pressure :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tuco88 wrote:
    Any thoughts? I know Stoner dabbed in Panel building no pressure

I didn't sorry Tuco. Was hoping someone else would pick this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

No worries Stoner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

This is an example, 16mm² into a terminal clamp type. I think it depends on the terminal imo I have no real issue with both.

The pharma company are looking for a site standard, its an old plant late 80s had a few issues with poor connections mostly on instruments "From own craft really doing calibrations"

I know its rant, just covering myself before I give the final word and just ferrule all stranded wire.

Any views on the topic, panel builders?

20170529_220412_zpsqkpgajqe.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Speaking as an experienced panel builder, using flex, ferrules alleviate the stray strands when terminating.

Don't really get this with stranded and the connection will be just as good.

Best bet nowadays IMO is spring clamp terminals, ferrules (with a proper crimp) on flex and bare on stranded.

Advertisement