Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to improve grammar, vocabulary and construction of sentences

• 25-05-2017 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I have a issue where I can't seem to use the right words. When I'm speaking I could say a word that I think makes sense, but it doesn't. This makes me feel thick and look thick. I need to improve my grammar and vocabulary to sound smarter, how can I achieve this?

Also I have a tendency to speak fast and mumble. This sometimes makes my speech non understandable. How do I correct this issue.

It's very annoying as a 21 year old in college this shouldn't be an issue. I should of learnt all of this as a child.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Youre not thick. Read books, aim to finish 2 or 3 books every month. I used to be great at spelling, English was my best subject in school but with social media, computers and spell check by spelling and grammar really declined so I went back to basics and started reading more. It helped my spelling and grammar but I noticed it also really helped my articulation and communication skills, now if I have a full day were i'll be interacting with allot of new people I prepare by reading a book as it just really keeps my mind fresh and I communicate much easier. Its worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Plus one on reading, any literary fiction will help regardless of the genre, if there's a word you don't know look it up, you would be amazed at how much you'll pick up just by reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's very annoying as a 21 year old in college this shouldn't be an issue. I should of learnt all of this as a child.

And here is one example of why you need to read. "Should of" and "would of" are both wrong and should never be used in written English. "Have" is the word you're looking for here. Read books, read quality magazine articles and try not to take your grammar cues from social media.

In terms of you speech, you could try to slow down and make an effort to speak clearly. I know that if I talk too fast, I don't form the words properly and people don't understand what I'm saying. If you feel it's still an issue, perhaps adult speech therapy is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Op I have the same problem! And am older than u! The amount of times I have written, re written, eventually just not bothering posting on here cause I am so conscious I can't put my point across in posts. Even at work my communication skills can be dodge enough at times, its really embarrassing.

I have started reading quiet a bit but I feel like a some kind of course/ class would be better. If I come across something il let u know.

Its not a nice feeling, feeling as tho u sound like a child struggling to put together words, what makes sense in ur head, and the looks u get from some people 😶😶.

Look ur not alone, I feel just as stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

In terms of you speech, you could try to slow down and make an effort to speak clearly. I know that if I talk too fast, I don't form the words properly and people don't understand what I'm saying. If you feel it's still an issue, perhaps adult speech therapy is the way to go.

Oh this 100 times for all the young ones! I feel so old!
    I'm English and my daughter is Irish, when she's been with her friends I can't understand her at all! She has to intentionally slow her speech down for me - perhaps that's something you could try op?
    Slow your words a little and turn the volume up slightly. Imagine someone who doesn't quite understand you is listening to you talk.

I agree with reading to help with your other issues, it's fun too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I agree with the suggestion of reading more! E-readers are great, because they have a dictionary built in. If you're not sure what a word means, you just hover over it and it'll give you the definition. It's great!! I often do this for words I'm not 100% sure of... sometimes I find out I was right in my assumption, other times I learn something new. And really take your time with the reading as opposed to just skimming over it; that will help you pick up correct grammar.

In terms of your speech, could the mumbling be due to a lack of confidence? If you're not confident in the words you use, it makes sense you mumble in the hopes that others will fill in the gaps themselves and you don't have the embarrassment of being corrected. Hopefully the reading will help with this too - you could even try reading aloud when you're alone to "practice".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I agree with reading...it doesn't have to be high quality literature, just expanding your vocabulary. I also found doing crosswords a great help, plus watching 'Countdown' or quiz shows.

I had a bad stammer as a child and so by necessity I had to find coping mechanisms and similes were essential. Personally I speak way too fast...a recruitment consultant pulled me up on it recently...she suggested thinking of a conversation as having commas and full stops as if they would occur in written correspondence, and it works.

I know other people have mentioned it in different circumstances but Toastmasters can be good. You don't necessarily have to speak at it but it can help you with observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

If you have a problem reading op try audio books, depends on what kind of a learner you are and it might be that hearing quality diction will help improve your own. Find a subject that you enjoy, it doesn't have to be fiction, it could be autobiographical or factual and check out some audio with a good quality narrator and go from there. I'm sure there are a heap of series available online for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Read.

If you are into fiction read David Gemmell. His books are well structured, fast paced and easily put together.

Steinbeck is also an exceptional writer. East of Eden is one of the best written books i've ever read. If you have a shorter attention span try of Mice and Men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

As someone pointed out should of and would of are both wrong. Should be would or should have. i see this an awful lot online. it is people who spell word like they sound but they don't understand the meaning of

. Another example i saw as someone who said " for all intensive purposes" when he should have said for" all intents and purposes. " That is because he did not know the meaning of what he wrote and said it as heard. Think about it. What is an intensive purpose ?and what are intents and purposes? It is easy to see what intents and purposes are. an intent and a purpose, But an intensive purpose is meaningless

So look for meaning in what you say and write. Ask yourself what it means. Understand it and don't just spell it as it sounds as in "would of"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

Yes, absolutely read more. It WILL help. No question.

Maybe I'm going way off track here, but we Irish have an awful habit of speaking super fast, which makes it difficult for non-natives to understand us.

Christ, when I'm speaking to my wife's Kerry born grandfather, we both need to slow right down to have a conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Gavinz wrote: »
    Yes, absolutely read more. It WILL help. No question.

Maybe I'm going way off track here, but we Irish have an awful habit of speaking super fast, which makes it difficult for non-natives to understand us.

Christ, when I'm speaking to my wife's Kerry born grandfather, we both need to slow right down to have a conversation.

Yeah you do :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

On a practical level, I see there's a Chrome extension from Grammarly which checks what you've written and corrects your spelling and grammar. As a learning exercise, you could try uploading some things you've written, just to see what it makes of it. That could turn out to be quite an eye-opener for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭LushiousLips

Op I have the same problem! And am older than u! The amount of times I have written, re written, eventually just not bothering posting on here cause I am so conscious I can't put my point across in posts. Even at work my communication skills can be dodge enough at times, its really embarrassing.

I have started reading quiet a bit but I feel like a some kind of course/ class would be better. If I come across something il let u know.

Its not a nice feeling, feeling as tho u sound like a child struggling to put together words, what makes sense in ur head, and the looks u get from some people 😶😶.

Look ur not alone, I feel just as stupid.

I hear ya!! Some of the posters here could be authors they put their point across so perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Read.I've been an avid reader since I was small.It has stood to me in so many ways.I'm a mum of two small kids now and every bit of research and advice out there is to read to them as early as possible; it gives them vocabulary, ways to express themselves and ideas.

There are many courses out there that you could do to improve literacy skills, report writing skills, plain english courses etc, but the cheapest, most effective thing for you to do is read anything you can get your hands on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

You are NOT stupid. No one is.

You might need a speech therapist though. Ask your gp.

Advertisement