Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bee hive after clearing brambles

Options
  • 26-05-2017 7:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I cleared a large area of brambles and there are quite a few bees hovering around one area on the ground. I think it could be a hive. I obviously don't want these destroyed so Who should be contacted to get these moved safely?

I'm based in naas, kildare

Comments

There's a beekeeping forum, or else have a look on Facebook - there's a north Kildare beekeeping group that could come and take the swarm away, rather than destroying anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are they bumblebees though? not sure what a beekeeper could do with a bumblebee hive.

also, it's not actually a swarm so might be hard to actually get to the queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Likely to be a colony of wild bees in an underground nest.
    They are valuable pollinators in a garden, and otherwise pretty harmless. Many species are in decline. Please consider just leaving them as they are. They'll possibly go elsewhere if their own accord, and they will certainly all die at summer's end except for a few queens who will hibernate until next year.
    (and they won't choose that spot next year,)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Likely to be a colony of wild bees in an underground nest.
    They are valuable pollinators in a garden, and otherwise pretty harmless. Many species are in decline. Please consider just leaving them as they are. They'll possibly go elsewhere if their own accord, and they will certainly all die at summer's end except for a few queens who will hibernate until next year.
    (and they won't choose that spot next year,)

Iv no idea if they are bumblebees or the differences.

So the idea was after we clear this site that we replant. I will hold off until I contact the beekeeping group. Didn't know there was a beekeeping forum on here

Thanks!

Advertisement