Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New breakfast and evening shows at SPIN 1038

• 26-05-2017 8:55am
    Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like Doireann Garrihy and Martin Guilfoyle are the new Zoo Crew judging by social media.

With Daniella leaving breakfast, that can surely mean Graham and Nathan are moving to that slot? Although I haven't seen anything.

Not sure how that will go. Thought Cormac and Daniella were a great pairing. Doireann being popular on snapchat will probably give that show a boost but don't know about breakfast.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Martin has also implied on Twitter that Luke ? Faolain might be about to leave 98FM.

I think Cormac Moore will stay with SPIN but not on the breakfast show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I think cormac might be leaving too. He put up a picture on Facebook last Wednesday with endas resignation letter n scribbled over it with his name etc...

I think cormac might be leaving too. He put up a picture on Facebook last Wednesday with endas resignation letter n scribbled over it with his name etc...

I think he has left the breakfast show, but never specified he was leaving SPIN. A weekend morning show maybe?

And Graham O'Toole & Nathan O'Reilly will be the new breakfast hosts!

Here's what I expect:
    7-10am: Graham & Nathan
    10-1pm: Peter Collins
    1-3pm: SPIN Talk
    3-7pm: Steve K
    7-9pm: Martin & Doireann
    9-midnight: Nick K.

It also looks like the Zoo Crew has been extended to 10pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

On his Facebook page it says "former presenter at spin1038" reckon he must be gone?!
    Liked him on the morning show I have to say. Wonder is Crossy gone too? Haven't heard him any morning since cormac and Daniela left

• Advertisement

Nikki Hayes is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Nikki Hayes is gone.

Yes, In the paper today
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/something-had-to-give-dj-nikki-hayes-quits-spin-1038-35789025.html

...but I thought she left last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It seems that she had continued with Spin while also working on 4FM.

By the way, that article is inaccurate about her radio career. She started on the pirate scene in Wicklow and Dun Laoghaire (DLR). Her first legal station was Wicklow's East Coast FM. In 2002, Nikki was part of the original lineup on Spin 103.8. Within a year, she moved to 2FM. In 2010, she left 2FM and rejoined Spin 1038.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

It seems that she had continued with Spin while also working on 4FM.

By the way, that article is inaccurate about her radio career. She started on the pirate scene in Wicklow and Dun Laoghaire (DLR). Her first legal station was Wicklow's East Coast FM. In 2002, Nikki was part of the original lineup on Spin 103.8. Within a year, she moved to 2FM. In 2010, she left 2FM and rejoined Spin 1038.

so she was working for 2 different radio companies at the same time.. communicorp and bay broadcasting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Funny - she was on at 8am. Today. On Spin...

• Advertisement

Looks like TRL has been axed, replaced by SPIN Hits with Niamh Ni Chroinin.

The Mon-Thurs schedule seems to be thus:
    0700-1000 Graham & Nsthan
    1000-1300 Peter Collins
    1300-1500 SPIN Talk
    1500-1900 Steve K
    1900-2200 Zoo Crew with Martin & Doireann
    2200-0100 Niamh Ni Chroinin.

Looks like they STILL haven't chosen a new 10pm presenter! Laura Bracken was presenting in the slot last week. It's been Nick, Niamh, Laura since Martin and Doireann took over the Zoo Crew.

Update: looks like there is no 10pm show at all now.

Looks like they STILL haven't chosen a new 10pm presenter! Laura Bracken was presenting in the slot last week. It's been Nick K, Niamh Cronin, Laura Bracken, Conor Woods, Sharon Lynskey since Martin and Doireann took over the Zoo Crew.

Update: looks like there is no 10pm show at all now.

Conor Woods is presenting this week. No show listed for 10pm-12am on the website, and it looks like TRL has quietly been shelved.

Holly Breslin (Spirit Radio) is doing the 10pm graveyard shift this week.

Here's a petition on change.org to bring SPIN 1038 to a nationwide FM audience.

http://change.org/p/anyone-to-give-spin-1038-permission-to-broadcast-nationwide-across-ireland

Do you think the guy has a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

http://change.org/p/anyone-to-give-spin-1038-permission-to-broadcast-nationwide-across-ireland

No, we already have iRadio, Beat and Spin South West, along with 2FM, which for better or worse still plays a fair amount of chart music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

What. He's sending it to Commcorp. They'd love to do it. If only Com Reg would let them!

Heard Conor Woods on iRadio this evening, in for Michaela Hayes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

TallGlass wrote: »
    What. He's sending it to Commcorp. They'd love to do it. If only Com Reg would let them!

5 people want it so far! He has his work cut out for him! I think spin is a great station for the younger generation and they do it well in Dublin and the south west but if it was to go national as one station it might not be the same. Why break something that works I say.

Back on topic, I'm warming to Graham and Nathan in the mornings. Wasn't their biggest fan at the begining. Cormac and Daniella would be great on 2fm I think. The zoo crew has went way down hill since the new pair started. I had heard her on 2fm drive doing the traffic and she sounded nice and all but now I don't know if it's just inexperience or what but the show sounds a bit like TY radio. It's just not as good as it used to be.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Jas Keane has been on SPIN Nights for a couple of weeks now, could he be the new host of that slot?

• Advertisement

If Becki Miller's Instagram bio is anything to go by she is living in Prague now.

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    5 people want it so far! He has his work cut out for him! I think spin is a great station for the younger generation and they do it well in Dublin and the south west but if it was to go national as one station it might not be the same. Why break something that works I say.

Back on topic, I'm warming to Graham and Nathan in the mornings. Wasn't their biggest fan at the begining. Cormac and Daniella would be great on 2fm I think. The zoo crew has went way down hill since the new pair started. I had heard her on 2fm drive doing the traffic and she sounded nice and all but now I don't know if it's just inexperience or what but the show sounds a bit like TY radio. It's just not as good as it used to be.
    Did you know that Doireann Garrihy from The Zoo Crew is the sister of Fair City actress Aobhinn Garrihy?

What's the name of the guy who does the chart show as Gaeilge on Sunday nights?

I have noticed that, much like FM104, they are playing songs in a slightly different pitch now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

Sir Dosser wrote: »

I've always been amazed at the quality of the breakfast show (going back to the Joe & Keith days), and I was well outside the target market then. I think that slot would be hugely successful nationwide, but don't know about the rest of the schedule.

Anyone know if Daithi O'Daibhin is still with SPIN? They've a female presenter doing Top 40 Oifiguil na hEireann today.

SPIN is 16 years old on Monday.

SPIN is 16 years old on Monday.

It would be an interesting exercise to see who has come and gone in that time.

Marty Miller was part of the original lineup. He has been with Radio Nova since its start in 2010 after stints with 98FM and Q102 and a brief return to Today FM.

Claire Beck left Spin1038 in 2011 for Phantom and was there through its rename as TXFM. She turned up once or twice since on Today FM.

Paul Lynskey had an involvement with Spin1038. He left in 2014 for TXFM. This year he has got involved with online and sometimes temporary licensed station 8Radio.com

Keith Walsh and Joe Donnelly were joint presenters for a few years on Spin. Keith went to iRadio for a time, while Joe Donnelly became Tom Dunne's producer when the latter was on mid-mornings on Newstalk. Keith than came to Phantom in 2012 as a PD. Later that year, Joe joined Phantom and the pair were reunited as joint presenters in the morning. Keith left Phantom for 2FM at the end of 2013 and he reunited with iRadio co-presenter Bernard O'Shea as part of the team for the new show The Breakfast Republic launched in 2014. Meanwhile, Joe stayed on with TXFM until the bitter end. He is now a producer and stand-in presenter on Today FM.

Eoghan McDermott and Tracey Clifford, both ex-Spin presenters, are with 2FM.

Dave Harrington, after a number of years with Q102, is now PD and a presenter with Tipp FM.

Nicky Hayes, one its original presenters, first left Spin 103 for 2FM, before returning some years later. She has turned up on a few stations in the last year. I think her main station now is East Coast FM but she also presents on 4FM.

Suzanne Kane left Spin for FM104 and Q102 before ending up on 4FM.

Claire Solan left Spin103 for 98FM, but has since gone to the U.K., where she is now a producer on Absolute Radio.

Ray Foley went to 98FM and then Today FM and TV3. He now presents the breakfast show on Cork's Red FM.

Dara Quilty and Brian Marr are both with 98FM.

Ben Murray and Rob Gormley went to FM104. Rob Gormley is also a presenter on East Coast FM.

Jonathan McCrea, ex-Spin103, presents a science program on Newstalk.

Blathnaid Treacy is now a presenter on RTE television.

It would be an interesting exercise to see who has come and gone in that time.

Marty Miller was part of the original lineup. He has been with Radio Nova since its start in 2010 after stints with 98FM and Q102 and a brief return to Today FM.

Claire Beck left Spin1038 in 2011 for Phantom and was there through its rename as TXFM. She turned up once or twice since on Today FM.

Paul Lynskey had an involvement with Spin1038. He left in 2014 for TXFM. This year he has got involved with online and sometimes temporary licensed station 8Radio.com

Keith Walsh and Joe Donnelly were joint presenters for a few years on Spin. Keith went to iRadio for a time, while Joe Donnelly became Tom Dunne's producer when the latter was on mid-mornings on Newstalk. Keith than came to Phantom in 2012 as a PD. Later that year, Joe joined Phantom and the pair were reunited as joint presenters in the morning. Keith left Phantom for 2FM at the end of 2013 and he reunited with iRadio co-presenter Bernard O'Shea as part of the team for the new show The Breakfast Republic launched in 2014. Meanwhile, Joe stayed on with TXFM until the bitter end. He is now a producer and stand-in presenter on Today FM.

Eoghan McDermott and Tracey Clifford, both ex-Spin presenters, are with 2FM.

Dave Harrington, after a number of years with Q102, is now PD and a presenter with Tipp FM.

Nicky Hayes, one its original presenters, first left Spin 103 for 2FM, before returning some years later. She has turned up on a few stations in the last year. I think her main station now is East Coast FM but she also presents on 4FM.

Suzanne Kane left Spin for FM104 and Q102 before ending up on 4FM.

Claire Solan left Spin103 for 98FM, but has since gone to the U.K., where she is now a producer on Absolute Radio.

Ray Foley went to 98FM and then Today FM and TV3. He now presents the breakfast show on Cork's Red FM.

Dara Quilty and Brian Marr are both with 98FM.

Ben Murray and Rob Gormley went to FM104. Rob Gormley is also a presenter on East Coast FM.

Jonathan McCrea, ex-Spin103, presents a science program on Newstalk.

Blathnaid Treacy is now a presenter on RTE television.

Steve K and Dave Davin are the two longest-serving presenters on SPIN, both presenters are known for their tight short links and focus on playing music. Steve is the only original presenter left I can think of, Dave didn't start until about 2004/5 or so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Steve K is the most straight talking guy in radio, literally keeps it quick, guy deserves a medal if you ask me. Everyone else talks so much crap it's unreal.

Interesting that Ben Murray was on Spin never knew that.

Fairly sure Jonathan McCrea had a show on RTE also around Science at some stage too, after departing from Spin. He done the mid-day talk show on Spin IIRC.

Steve K is the most straight talking guy in radio, literally keeps it quick, guy deserves a medal if you ask me. Everyone else talks so much crap it's unreal.

Interesting that Ben Murray was on Spin never knew that.

Fairly sure Jonathan McCrea had a show on RTE also around Science at some stage too, after departing from Spin. He done the mid-day talk show on Spin IIRC.

Ben Murray was involved with outside broadcasts as a broadcast assistant between 2004 and 2005.

I got Ray Foley's sequence mixed up in my previous post. He was with Today FM before 98FM.

Does anyone know if James David (Davids?) is still with Spin behind the scenes?

Here are some more names no longer associated with spin.
    Johnny Moy: presented a dance show on spin in its first few years. I think he is the same Johnny Moy that is a media consultant for Dublin Old School.
    Steven Cooper: he was a presenter on Spin in more recent years. He is now with 98FM.
    John Power: at some stage, he was with Spin - probably a dance show. I don't know what he is doing now. He is the John Power associated with dance pirate Pulse FM and who had a dance show on 2FM before Spin - not to be confused with other non-dance radio people going by the same name!

Here are some more names no longer associated with spin.
    Johnny Moy: presented a dance show on spin in its first few years. I think he is the same Johnny Moy that is a media consultant for Dublin Old School.
    Steven Cooper: he was a presenter on Spin in more recent years. He is now with 98FM.
    John Power: at some stage, he was with Spin - probably a dance show. I don't know what he is doing now. He is the John Power associated with dance pirate Pulse FM and who had a dance show on 2FM before Spin - not to be confused with other non-dance radio people going by the same name!
    Lucy Kennedy used to work in sales for SPIN.

I see Jaz Keane has recently gotten the SPIN Hits at Night weeknight slot permanently, after they hadn't had a permanent host since January 2017. Fair play to him. Also there is a new girl called Tara on on Saturday's?

Dáithí Ó Dáibhín freisin. Is math liom Top 40 Oifiguil na hEireann!

• Advertisement

Remember Becki Miller who presented TRL for a few years on SPIN? She's had a baby boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I have noticed that, much like FM104, they are playing songs in a slightly different pitch now.

indeed they are. i think it sounds well and is long over due tbh.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

The Zoo Crew is getting two brand new hosts.

Meet your new crew Jaz & Laura!

Jaz & Laura are no strangers to SPIN 1038 listeners. Laura is the entertainment and showbiz reporter and hosts SPIN Hits on Sundays. While Jaz joined the SPIN 1038 family in January with two late night shows, SPIN Xtra and Friday Night SPIN.

And it's good news for fans of The Zoo Crew's current hosts Doireann & Marty as they have big plans at SPIN 1038!

Doireann is set for a brand new weekend show and Marty will be taking over SPIN Xtra, weeknights from 10pm.

Doireann & Marty hosted their final show together yesterday evening, Friday 12th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Looks like a demotion for the original hosts so.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

iseegirls wrote: »
    Looks like a demotion for the original hosts so.

To be honest, I never listen to Spin 1038 anymore when i'm in country, or in Dublin infact but from the ol' "social media" accounts I would guess they both have other, non-radio, commitments and aren't bothered by the show as much. Isn't Doireann doing a TV show with RTE now?

Any idea what Doireann is to do weekends? An entertainment style show or something?

• Advertisement

Doireann is not listed on the new schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Hopefully they get some new news readers. There is one male and one female newsreader who are so bad it sounds like they are taking the piss. Every sentence goes up and sounds the same if you know what I mean.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Doireann is joining 2FM full time. She'll be joining Eoghan McDermott to host the station's new breakfast show a bit later in the year.

Just curious have they found a replacement for Laura Bracken on the Zoo Crew yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

It looks like they don’t want a replacement because they’ve changed the show to be called “Jaz’s Zoo Crew.” If you ever listen to him, he says something like “you’re the crew” to explain why it’s called the “zoo crew” with only one person.

It might be a financial choice or they might just not have someone they want to replace her. Who knows.

Looks like the Fully Charged and Zoo Crew brands have been dropped, for now anyway; they'd been using them for what felt like forever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

They have no consistency right now which really makes me think Graham and Nathan had to leave suddenly for whatever reason.

They’ve had Peter Collins and Tara Walsh covering together two weeks ago, Nick K and Tara Walsh together last week and today Nick K was on his own.

Some variety isn’t a bad thing to be fair. Nick K solo is the best option for long-term cover in my opinion. He’s very likeable

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tailends

A video from their current breakfast show came up on my TikTok today so they’re promoting it now. Do we think this is the lineup now or is it temporary?

Reminds me of when The Den used to go off the air during the summer months and was replaced by a similar show like The Swamp

• Advertisement
Advertisement