Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liam Gallagher - Olympia Theatre, Dublin - Sat 10th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

ryaner777 wrote: »
    As close to the front of the seats as you can.

It'll be a short enough set so I'd say you'd have about 2 hours to fill between getting in and the gig starting. It's also been confirmed that there is no support act on this leg of the tour.

Thanks for the reply, i am guessing i should start queing up outside from 6 or so onwards ?
    Would that be ok to get a good seat ? I am guessing there will be load of stragglers coming in late after being in the pub etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

It's hard to say, there will be a lot of die hard fans at the gig. I'd say you'll be fairly close to the top of the side door queue at six. Just bring jackets with you to leave on the seats once you get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, i am guessing i should start queing up outside from 6 or so onwards ?
    Would that be ok to get a good seat ? I am guessing there will be load of stragglers coming in late after being in the pub etc.

Shall be queuing before 6. Lucky enough to have gotten a seated ticket but want to make sure I get a good seat now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

No support? Does that mean Liam will be on before 9pm?

It's possible but unlikely I's say. They've had a preshow DJ at the previous small gigs

• Advertisement

What's the seating and view like in the upper circle unreserved? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

No support band, support DJ Paul Gallagher. LG onstage 9 pm is the plan.

Where's the best pub/area pre gig to try locate a spare ticket? Looks like I have been let down badly and need to try secure 1 ticket between now and gig!
    Seatwave etc extortion as usual, not many spares knocking about by the looks of it
    Thanks for any pointers

Where's the best pub/area pre gig to try locate a spare ticket? Looks like I have been let down badly and need to try secure 1 ticket between now and gig!
    Seatwave etc extortion as usual, not many spares knocking about by the looks of it
    Thanks for any pointers

There's an after party in the mercantile across the road so maybe try there. Usually a crowd in brogans pre gig

Best bet would be to stand outside the Olympia but I'd imagine you might have some competition

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

What's the seating and view like in the upper circle unreserved? Cheers

Better than it used to be, that's for sure. Used to be a huge cage like barrier (or felt like it as no matter where you sat you were forced to look through wire mesh given the angle) and bench hard seats....but now the portion of mesh is tiny in comparison to the old days and it has decent enough seats now too:

olympia-3-jun-2011-dave.jpg

Make sure to get there early though as otherwise this could be the kind of view you end up with if you're seated anywhere neat the back:

• Advertisement

I haven't sat upstairs at a rock gig for a long time (my tickets are in the circle), are people expected to stay in their seats or will people just be stood up anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ooter

My tickets are unreserved upper circle but it says row 2, I don't suppose there's any realistic chance of me getting in to row 2 unless I turn up really early, is it just a free for all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

ooter wrote: »
    My tickets are unreserved upper circle but it says row 2, I don't suppose there's any realistic chance of me getting in to row 2 unless I turn up really early, is it just a free for all?

It's a free for all so probably best to show up early.

Well?

How was it?

Well?

How was it?

Really enjoyed it, his voice is in good nick.
    Mixture of oasis hits and his new material , which the crowd went quieter for as its only new and relatively unheard.
    He came on at 9 and was gone at 10.05, coming back on to sign off with live forever.
    Wall of glass sounds fantastic live .

Really enjoyed it, his voice is in good nick.
    Mixture of oasis hits and his new material , which the crowd went quieter for as its only new and relatively unheard.
    He came on at 9 and was gone at 10.05, coming back on to sign off with live forever.
    Wall of class sounds fantastic live .

Nice one,
    Glad you enjoyed it

Hopefully he comes back soon

Nice one,
    Glad you enjoyed it

Hopefully he comes back soon

He played for 1 hour 10 in total including his encore. If he comes back and plays the 3 arena he would want to stretch the show out another hour or so, not sure as yet where he will pull the hits from unless he bangs out more oasis hits .
    For 32 euro or so to see that tonight, zero complaints from me.Great to see him back in action

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Would have liked to go but tickets were like gold dust..... heard some guy sold a pair of stall seats for €300 in Temple Bar earlier today.

Seen Beady Eye in the Olympia awhile back.... be interested to know if there was much of a difference energy wise between the gigs.

Wonder if he could be a late addition to Electric Picnic. Reading the week before so timing seems okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ooter

I'm going to gigs a long time and I honestly thought it was brilliant, started off with rock n roll star and what's the story and the place was on wheels. One of the new songs he played half way through was very good, easily the stand out tune on the album and the next single?
    Wall of glass sounded great, slide away was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Was so impressed with his voice- stood up through the whole gig. New songs sound decent, Wall of Glass was brilliant altogether.
    The Be Here Now tunes were the highlight for me.

All in all- a great night!

• Advertisement

+1 on what everyone else was saying, we were in the circle (smack bang in the middle) so great seats but didn't sit down once. Great atmosphere, I commented to my friend that this would be the "laddiest" gig we'd go to this year but for all the lads there there was no aggro and no bother.

Musically it was spot on, the band were tight, the bass player providing harmonies. The new songs sounded great, one in particular towards the end stood out. Everyone was pretty respectful for new material they didn't know, and there was a great reaction to Wall of Glass.

The Oasis tunes got a big reaction, and big singalong. He actually chose them pretty well - D'You Know What I Mean, Slide Away, Be Here Now... less obvious than Supersonic or one of the bigger hits. I'd like to hear him do something like Shakermaker or Hello in future. Saying that, we know he's been rehearsing Rockin' Chair and apparently Don't Look Back In Anger, so I'm sure there's more to come. For a 3 Arena gig (which I don't see him doing - two nights in the Olympia more like) he'd probably play his whole album and flesh the set out with the Oasis tunes. Can't see him doing a Beady Eye song. He could also do a cover (but please, not My Generation).

Sang acapella Live Forever... seems to be a thing now, and sure it's fine, but he could easily get the guitarist to play with him. Or, he could play guitar himself... that'd be interesting to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Seems noel wrote most of the Oasis songs I wonder did Liam have to get permission to sing them at the gigs.

You could play a gig tomorrow and play Oasis tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You could play a gig tomorrow and play Oasis tunes.

Yep. Liam could have played a full set of Noel's solo material if he wanted to and as far as I know there wouldn't be anything Noel could do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Saying that, we know he's been rehearsing Rockin' Chair and apparently Don't Look Back In Anger, so I'm sure there's more to come.
    There's not a chance LG of 2017 could hit the notes in Rockin' Chair, that was one of his standout vocals recorded at his absolute peak.

Similarly with DLBIA, far too high for him. He'd have to change key of both songs to make them work in his current vocal range.

Savman wrote: »
    There's not a chance LG of 2017 could hit the notes in Rockin' Chair, that was one of his standout vocals recorded at his absolute peak.

Similarly with DLBIA, far too high for him. He'd have to change key of both songs to make them work in his current vocal range.

We're definitely going to hear Rockin' Chair at some point. He can just change the key so he sings it lower. Same with DLBIA.

Saying that, "hitting the notes" is not exactly something Liam has been worried about since about 1998...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Seems noel wrote most of the Oasis songs I wonder did Liam have to get permission to sing them at the gigs.
    Why would he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I thought you can't copy songs without permission??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Pity I missed this. Watched his Manchester tribute concert and was shocked with how good his voice was. Seems you have to get him at the start of the tour before his kermit voice comes out.

• Advertisement

I thought you can't copy songs without permission??

Only if you were recording them, but that would usually be sample clearance. AFAIK, anyone can record a cover of any song, as long as they pay the royalties to the artist.

Advertisement