Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop automatic updates

Options
  • 26-05-2017 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭

This morning i used my laptop for about 10 minutes for basic browsing, using my mobile data. It was only browsing fb/boards pages - nothing data-heavy.

My mobile data usage in that 10 minutes jumped almost 2GB (I had checked it before tethering) and it switched itself off as I'd reached my 5GB limit (according to the phone).

I checked with VF - they only have my usage up till yesterday showing (~3GB which is what i saw this morning when i logged on) - and they say the only thing they can think of that would chew that amount of data would be the laptop automatically installing a big update once it was online.

It's a new laptop with Windows 10 which I'm using for the first time so not at all familiar with it.

Is there any way of controlling when the laptop will install updates? My previous one with W7 used to look for me to shut down to install them, so i always knew when they were pending. I'm afraid to turn this one back on now until I'm back on wifi!!!

(It's a Toshiba Satellite if that makes any difference)

Thanks for any advice!!!

Comments

Advertisement