Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2017

Options
  • 26-05-2017 9:37am

Entries now open
    Sorry can't post linky, gotten more expensive 55e for the 100k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

And people say cyclists don't pay road tax, when in fact they are the ONLY group that are asked to :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

55 euro for 100km a bike ride with no charity element....
    #daylightrobbery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I guess you're basically paying for your jersey, medal and food stops.. Also maybe there's some money taken out for the marshalls etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

was always on my to do list ... trying to register and it keeps telling me 'validation failed for some of the fields' ... cant see any issue and tried several times ... anybody else having problems ? or is it just me ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    was always on my to do list ... trying to register and it keeps telling me 'validation failed for some of the fields' ... cant see any issue and tried several times ... anybody else having problems ? or is it just me ..

Same here. Tried the CI licensed and non CI licensed route with the same issue.

• Advertisement

Broken so .... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Got a text from Cycling Ireland to let me know ...
    I must be special .......... ;)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

:ermm: Got an email and a text this morning. There's an early bird reduction for Cycling Ireland members. Reduced to €45 for the 100K till midnight May 29th AFAIK. Had no problems signing up.

think i've sussed out the registration issue now ... when you enter your address and it asks you to select Country .. dont scroll down the list and select Ireland ... select Ireland at the very top of the list (this will then open up your county to be selected)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

I see limit of riders increased to 7000 and also price increase. Last year it was overcrowded, this year will be impossible. I will definitely skip this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

How can a "Mass participation event" be overcrowded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

think i've sussed out the registration issue now ... when you enter your address and it asks you to select Country .. dont scroll down the list and select Ireland ... select Ireland at the very top of the list (this will then open up your county to be selected)

I was selecting Ireland at the top first. So I selected the one below first and hit checkout, got an error and selected the one at the top. Voila. Registered. :rolleyes:

Last year's was a good few hours in the saddle. Pretty much most of it was closed roads and the weather was good too, though it's a few weeks later this year round. I didn't stop at the food stops so can't comment on them. Not sure the jersey is on offer this year, looks like a "Great Dublin Bike Ride top"...whatever the hell that means. At full price €55 and what looks like no jersey, it's a little steep but tis rare you'd get access to closed roads in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

strmin wrote: »
    I see limit of riders increased to 7000 and also price increase. Last year it was overcrowded, this year will be impossible. I will definitely skip this one.

It was hardly overcrowded?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

strmin wrote: »

What part felt overcrowded to you out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

What part felt overcrowded to you out of interest?

the first food stop was in Ballyboughal, which IMO was a bit early. there were plenty of volunteers and no shortage of food and water etc. IMO the problem was the layout. With these large events, a "one way system" is better and marshals "encouraging" people to keep moving really helps. Its natural that people tend to congregate around the food tables and make it more difficult for others to get to the tables. This adds to the delays.

oh and i also think that a lot of people feel they've paid for this so they are determined to get that sandwich! (why they don't just skip the first food stop and move onto the next one amazes me)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I've tried to register and have failed.
    It either says "registration details later" or when I go another way, and click on "register", nothing happens.
    Can anybody assist ?
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A 100 km route like that really only needs one proper food stop with maybe mobile water stops for people to fill Bidons.

I'd cycle a good chunk of that route anyway, it's what would put me off paying to do so, but closed roads is a plus.

After Naul, or maybe Garristown it's a fairly dull route. It looks like it takes random turns around Dublin 15 to make it up to 100 km. I'd sooner have it coming back via Kilbride, Clonee, and around the Strawberry beds and the park on the Upper Glen road before back in the city.

Does it have to stop in Sutton for the Dart too?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I guess you're basically paying for your jersey, medal and food stops.. Also maybe there's some money taken out for the marshalls etc...
    And come on to 100km of closed roads

After the ride last year, I was speaking to the chairman of a cycling club. He told me that his club got €1,000 for providing a number of marshals for the event. I know that a number of GAA clubs got the same deal.

greenspurs wrote: »
    Got a text from Cycling Ireland to let me know ...
    I must be special .......... ;)

I did the spin last year and I got no text.
    You must be special alright!!!

And I still can't register.

• Advertisement

I can't even get that far.
    Can you post the link, that you used, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

I'm registering at the moment and it's quoting me an additional €39.95 for the jersey. Yer grand thanks.

On the plus side, you can get your number posted out this year in advance, for a fiver :eek:

Did it last year, said I would do it again this year with my brother in law. I might call it quits after that, it should be a perfect way to get more people cycling with the chance of doing it on closed roads. Hopefully it doesn't go down the Ring of Kerry pricing route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

I got a free jersey last year - do they usually do that or was it a once off?

fjon wrote: »
    I got a free jersey last year - do they usually do that or was it a once off?

They gave a free jersey to the first 3,000 people to register.
    Seems not to be the case this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Eamonnator wrote: »
    They gave a free jersey to the first 3,000 people to register.
    Seems not to be the case this year.

They gave a tshirt then to everyone else after those 3000. Top quality tshirt too.
    I would be of the opinion that's it better not to get them though, and keep the entry cost down.
    Anyway, fingers crossed for decent weather, good last year from what I remember with a strong headwind at times.

@brianomc

Can you give me a link to where you registered, please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Signed up

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Signed up

Can you help, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Can you help, please?

Pm sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I did the spin last year and I got no text.
    You must be special alright!!!

And I still can't register.

I got two texts :p They must have heard that i did the route a second time a couple of weeks ago.

Advertisement